2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah mate. It never did apply to them. I just looked up Alan Hansens career - he played over 600 games for our neighbours in about 13 years but only played 26 times for Scotland- hmm i wonder ?

He withdrew from the Scotland squad several times in the build up to the '86 World Cup and was dropped for that tournament by the interim Alex Ferguson.

It's fair to point out though that Scotland only played 6 games in major tournaments during his time, and 3 of them were the 86 WC that he was dropped for. There was also nowhere near the amount of internationals there is now.

He withdrew from the Scotland squad several times in the build up to the '86 World Cup and was dropped for that tournament by the interim Alex Ferguson.

It's fair to point out though that Scotland only played 6 games in major tournaments during his time, and 3 of them were the 86 WC that he was dropped for. There was also nowhere near the amount of internationals there is now.
Miller and McLeish were the clear, first choice CB partnership at this time. If Hansen was reluctant to go it was because he was fed-up warming the bench.

Yeah mate. It never did apply to them. I just looked up Alan Hansens career - he played over 600 games for our neighbours in about 13 years but only played 26 times for Scotland- hmm i wonder ?
Miller and Mcleish were first choice throughout most the 80s. Both great defenders and played together every week. He was also competing Narey and Gough. Scotland had a bloody great team back in the 80s, still.amazes me they never achieved anything of note

Scotland played about 100 matches in Hansens time at LFC - he played in about a quarter of those games which is not a lot for a "top defender"

Scotland played about 100 matches in Hansens time at LFC - he played in about a quarter of those games which is not a lot for a "top defender"
Depends how many he was actually selected for.
They also probably had to pick and choose between club and country more in those days, as they used to actually tackle and get hurt.

Did you just go and count how many games Scotland had whilst he was at Liverpool? lol Fair play.

It's probably worth noting though that he was at the shabite for 2 seasons before he got his first cap, and then had over 3 seasons there after his last cap.

Miller and Mcleish were first choice throughout most the 80s. Both great defenders and played together every week. He was also competing Narey and Gough. Scotland had a bloody great team back in the 80s, still.amazes me they never achieved anything of note
Steve Nicol has admitted he dropped out of Scotland squads left right and centre. Hansen may have been the same. Hansen was also not well liked by Scotland fans. I wouldn't be surprised if Hansen just thought '[Poor language removed] it' I'm staying home for this call up.

Status
Not open for further replies.