Moyes leaves in the summer; british or foreign manager? prem exp or lower leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are only six managers of non english european club teams on more money than Moyes.

That's the managers of PSG, Barcelona, Bayern, Anzhi, Benfica and Real. And none of them have his job security or complete control.

It's an attractive job.

You reckon the new international tv rights deal arriving this summer might be why he is waiting and holding out for another increase? It could be possible - especially with most of who he deals with day to day all definitely in that boat.

You reckon the new international tv rights deal arriving this summer might be why he is waiting and holding out for another increase? It could be possible - especially with most of who he deals with day to day all definitely in that boat.

I reckon he has enough money and is off to another league to try and win something but you never know.

I reckon he has enough money and is off to another league to try and win something but you never know.

I will be amazed if he gets anything near a top post at any meaningful European side. If he was to go (and I hope he doesnt) it would be some sideways step like mcclaren with the hope of dominating a very variable league to earn a sniff at the Bundesliga or maybe Ligue 1.

I will be amazed if he gets anything near a top post at any meaningful European side. If he was to go (and I hope he doesnt) it would be some sideways step like mcclaren with the hope of dominating a very variable league to earn a sniff at the Bundesliga or maybe Ligue 1.

Nah a midtable club at spain or germany who want to challenge for the CL on a tight budget will pick him up. The likes of Getafe and Hoffenheim have already shown an interest. And those league are much less closed shops in terms of Cl places.

You could be right. However, I think many managers end up playing their own personal style of football. Moyes is a former defender so his game is (until this season anyway) ultra cautious. In contrast, Howard Kendall was an attacking skilful midfielder and his 1980s side had talented midfielders who could win the ball and take the game to the opposition and score goals themselves for fun.

I think Neville has just a bit too much of the sideways pass or long diagonal hoof in him to manage us, unless we want a return to the Walter Smith era of the long ball to a target man's head.

I think either Martinez or Laudrup. Failing that I'd rather have Kendall back for a 4th spell or maybe someone like Dave Jones....a former Blue.

I wouldn't want Hughes (has failed to succeed at several clubs now) or Hughton (last year's competent Norwich are now looking rather fragile).

It never ceases to amaze me that people are foolish enough to believe that a manager will set his team up in the exact same vein as he played the game himself.

What type of player was George Graham? Mowbray? Moyes? Alan Ball?

It's nonsense. I was a CB or CM I don't love watching stoke.

Nah a midtable club at spain or germany who want to challenge for the CL on a tight budget will pick him up. The likes of Getafe and Hoffenheim have already shown an interest. And those league are much less closed shops in terms of Cl places.

Wont pay him his whack now regardless of any summer increase and mid table Bundesliga or La Liga clubs cant pay what Prem sides can and do to players so building a side to compete (which he has here) is even more difficult as the elite Spanish sides get first dibs then England and Germany take a shot at luring the overlooked talent away (Michu?). If he was to go and be involved at youth level and bring a flock of kids through then step up to senior management to bring them through in one fell swoop then that might be a means to an end but he wont take a step backwards and down a couple of levels to facilitate that. A managers stock is gauged on who has managed and for how long and the results and trophies attained in those periods. Every season away from management is a nail in the coffin of every managerial career.

It never ceases to amaze me that people are foolish enough to believe that a manager will set his team up in the exact same vein as he played the game himself.

What type of player was George Graham? Mowbray? Moyes? Alan Ball?

It's nonsense. I was a CB or CM I don't love watching stoke.

Foolish? Rather a sweeping statement and, as it never ceases to amaze you, then you must have heard it several times and there might be some truth in it.

Ok, Mowbray may be an exception but let's look at Everton in recent years and some of our managers:

Kendall: Attack minded, technically gifted midfielder. We all know what his 1980s Everton side were like.

Mike Walker: Former goalkeeper and Everton were absolute trash under him. Norwich were just fortunate to have a young Ruel Fox while Walker was managing them.

Walter Smith: Former defender and, again, we were just a little bit crap in the Smith years. Dull hoofball week in and week out.

David Moyes: Former defender. Under Moyes we have been overly defensive/negative for the best part of a decade including in "winner takes all" cup matches where we seem to try to play for a draw!

Phil Neville could end up being the greatest attack minded manager the game has ever seen but, personally, I think he will be more early Moyes than early Guardiola!

I also would like to think that there is a big difference between being a CB and a CM. Maybe you were a CB who wanted to get involved in more attack hence moving to CM? If you were a die hard CB who never wanted to venture out of his own half except for corners at the other end then your perspective on the game would be different.

What about malky mackay at cardiff done good job at watford and now cardiff seems pretty single-minded and talks like a winner.

I don't really trust lower league managers, you can win the championship without really knowing how to organise a team as long as you're a decent motivator (see Warnock, Jewell, Keane, McCarthy, Bruce etc).

I'd have to have watched their teams a lot to see what they offer and I don't realy.

Status
Not open for further replies.