Moyes leaves in the summer; british or foreign manager? prem exp or lower leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, I came in the thread to say this.

One of the last managers i'd want at Goodison. I'd sooner have Adkins or Lambert than Martinez. I really don't see the fuss about him at all. Wigan are currently 19th in the Premier League, only 1 club below them. The likes of Southampton, Norwich and Fulham are above them yet he's is regarded as some sort of genius coach. I just don't get it.

One of the last managers i'd want at Goodison. I'd sooner have Adkins or Lambert than Martinez. I really don't see the fuss about him at all. Wigan are currently 19th in the Premier League, only 1 club below them. The likes of Southampton, Norwich and Fulham are above them yet he's is regarded as some sort of genius coach. I just don't get it.

Reading are above them on about a quarter of Wigan's budget.

You could be right. However, I think many managers end up playing their own personal style of football. Moyes is a former defender so his game is (until this season anyway) ultra cautious. In contrast, Howard Kendall was an attacking skilful midfielder and his 1980s side had talented midfielders who could win the ball and take the game to the opposition and score goals themselves for fun.

I think Neville has just a bit too much of the sideways pass or long diagonal hoof in him to manage us, unless we want a return to the Walter Smith era of the long ball to a target man's head.

I think either Martinez or Laudrup. Failing that I'd rather have Kendall back for a 4th spell or maybe someone like Dave Jones....a former Blue.

I wouldn't want Hughes (has failed to succeed at several clubs now) or Hughton (last year's competent Norwich are now looking rather fragile).

Kendall? Seriously? You do know this is 2013 right? I take your point about management styles to an extent. But there are also those like, for example, Tony Mowbray whose managerial philosophy is different to their playing style.

I wouldn't want a flavour of the month type manager. The likes of Owen Coyle, Billy Davies, Paul Jewel are all good examples of being a 'flash in the pan' for having a good season with a club. DiCanio, Poyet, Zola, Dickov all fall into that for me.

Martinez has been at Wigan for some time and established them as a Premier League club, admittidley one that usually escapes relegation with 1 game left in the season. He has had offers from the likes of Aston Villa before when they were still good stock (O'Neil era) and turned them down which makes me think he is waiting for the right job.

I'd also want someone with good knowledge of the British game, Moyes' immortal words about the Peoples club won everyone over from the start, some Johnny foreigner talking through a translator saying his mum loved the Beatles who pi55 me right off

I wouldn't want a flavour of the month type manager. The likes of Owen Coyle, Billy Davies, Paul Jewel are all good examples of being a 'flash in the pan' for having a good season with a club. DiCanio, Poyet, Zola, Dickov all fall into that for me.

Martinez has been at Wigan for some time and established them as a Premier League club, admittidley one that usually escapes relegation with 1 game left in the season. He has had offers from the likes of Aston Villa before when they were still good stock (O'Neil era) and turned them down which makes me think he is waiting for the right job.

I'd also want someone with good knowledge of the British game, Moyes' immortal words about the Peoples club won everyone over from the start, some Johnny foreigner talking through a translator saying his mum loved the Beatles who pi55 me right off

They'd been in the prem about 5 years already when he took over.

Martinez has been at Wigan for some time and established them as a Premier League club.

But they were already a premier league club. He took over a team who'd finished 11th the season before, reached a cup final and finished in the top half within the last three years and were entering their fifth season in the top flight.

Kendall? Seriously? You do know this is 2013 right? I take your point about management styles to an extent. But there are also those like, for example, Tony Mowbray whose managerial philosophy is different to their playing style.

Yes, indeed I was being just a tad sarcastic there....as the point really was that I would rather have Kendall than Hughes etc. However, if I thought for one moment that old Howard still knew the modern game as well as he once did then I probably would have him back, even if only in an advisory role for a younger up-and-coming manager. Having a bit of the old pride around Goodison would not be a bad thing and if it comes from someone like Kendall, Reid, Ratcliffe etc then that would be fine with me.

I'm a sentimentalist, even though I know Royle and Kendall are too old and unfit to be a manager, I would love them as backroom staff and have them share their wisdom.

It probably wouldn't work simply because there'd be too many strong personalities and Joe can hardly walk these days but it'd be nice.

Yes, indeed I was being just a tad sarcastic there....as the point really was that I would rather have Kendall than Hughes etc. However, if I thought for one moment that old Howard still knew the modern game as well as he once did then I probably would have him back, even if only in an advisory role for a younger up-and-coming manager. Having a bit of the old pride around Goodison would not be a bad thing and if it comes from someone like Kendall, Reid, Ratcliffe etc then that would be fine with me.

sorry, didn't notice the sarcasm!

But they were already a premier league club. He took over a team who'd finished 11th the season before, reached a cup final and finished in the top half within the last three years and were entering their fifth season in the top flight.

He took over after Steve Bruce has decimated the initial good work Paul Jewel did in getting them to their best ever finish and a league cup final and sold the likes of Heskey, Valencia, Palacious, Baines and Cattermol

He took over after Steve Bruce has decimated the initial good work Paul Jewel did in getting them to their best ever finish and a league cup final and sold the likes of Heskey, Valencia, Palacious, Baines and Cattermol

Bruce had them finish 11th in his last season and he was the one who bought Cattermole, Valencia, N'zogbia, Rodallega, Palacios, Figeroa, Zaki etc.

And he got a small fortune for Baines, Valencia, Cattermole, Palacios and Heskey. 43 milion.

You'll now get a load of people dismissing lower league managers left and right, despite the fact Moyes was one himself.

The only thing I'd say to that is that we are in a completely different situation now in 2013 to what we were in, in 2002, with much higher expectations, and a track record of finishing in the top 7 for most of the past decade.

Back in 2002, we had an aging, average squad, which just about secured survival every season and never finished higher than 13th. The club needed a lift back then, with a fresh idea and philosophy going forward.

Now, if Moyes were to leave, we'd need a safe, experienced pair of hands. Not an untried, promising rookie coach. Just my opinion.

Not in the prem. And from outside, who? Especially with our budget.
To me Martinez knows the prem and how to work within budget and has a style

From the outside our budget is quite attractive, though. Compared to managing in spain or scandanavia or scotland or the low countries or south america, we do quite well.

Just in terms of free agents you can attract players to the prem that you can't elsewhere and you can hold onto top players (if we were south american baines'd be at Barca and barkley would be in turkey) that you couldn't in other league.

A midtable club at any club outside the big four european leagues don't have a player you can sell for 20 million plus pounds. And most non english clubs can't offer 60k a week.

There are only six managers of non english european club teams on more money than Moyes.

That's the managers of PSG, Barcelona, Bayern, Anzhi, Benfica and Real. And none of them have his job security or complete control.

It's an attractive job.

Status
Not open for further replies.