Moyes leaves in the summer; british or foreign manager? prem exp or lower leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...ceable-everton-has-have-ambitions-met-189849?

“He’s probably looking at his career now though and wondering about the next challenge. If that could be at Everton, and it would mean getting money off the chairman and making them a top four club, then he would definitely stay here, but he is probably asking questions of the chairman.
“He’s in no rush to sign a new deal and that’s probably he most disappointing thing from Everton’s point of view.â€￾

Do you think Alan?

It's not that. Don't get a manager who has a history of not staying at his clubs long if you want a long term manager.

As Papa said, he had reasons. Surely we just want a successful manager. Let's face it we're not the biggest club in the World, so if someone like Laudrup comes in, gets us in to the Champions League and wins a trophy, then a bigger club may come in for him, then it's his choice. Would we sacrifice that for a steady eddie manager, who wins nothing and who no bigger club would ever want?

He spends all the funds on wages. He could easily be using an Anichebe/Barkley etc. instead of Naismith. Naismith is costing the club a wage and hindering the development of the younger players. Heitinga on a massive wage and a squad player. 75% of turnover? Where does he think the money is coming from? Has his quest for 4th place/a trophy now become more important for his cv to attract a bigger club, than for the good of the club?

But our wages are only the tenth highest in the league. If we didn't pay that how could we keep or attract players? We'd be unable to compete.

There is literally no club in the prem who over achieves more than we do in terms of wages paid, we get more out of our players then we're paying for them. Any less and we'd be nowhere near either europe or trophies.

You'll now get a load of people dismissing lower league managers left and right, despite the fact Moyes was one himself.

Understand your point, but don't you think we as a team/club have progressed so much under Moyes that we could attract a high calibre of manager with more experience than somebody in a similar position to say what Moyes was when we appointed him. Although if the right candidate was from a lower league then I personally wouldn't have a problem if he was the right man for the job with potential, as we have seen first hand how a manager from such a position can progress.

But our wages are only the tenth highest in the league. If we didn't pay that how could we keep or attract players? We'd be unable to compete.

There is literally no club in the prem who over achieves more than we do in terms of wages paid, we get more out of our players then we're paying for them. Any less and we'd be nowhere near either europe or trophies.

So you think we get more from Heitinga than his 55k p/w wage? Or would anyone else pay Pienaar 75k p/w?

If Naismith was being paid a fiver a week it'd be more than he gives us.

I think I asked in the Sneijder thread, where are your wage comparison figures from? No agenda just interested to see.

How long can the club realistically afford to pay out 75% on transfers with no investment in infrastructure and a manager who bemoans the lack of transfer funds? We have some decent young players whose development is being hindered by the likes of Heitinga/Naismith etc. Surely Duffy is an able deputy for Jags or Distin, do we need a top earner as back up? When we break the big time and our turnover is as big as United or Arsenal, then perhaps we can afford one, but until then we should be making best use of the youth. It would also aid their development and increase their resale value.

Martinez - for someone who is acclaimed as a visionary he spends a lot of time in the relegation zone. We might as well draw up a list of names that are mates of Bill.

So you think we get more from Heitinga than his 55k p/w wage? Or would anyone else pay Pienaar 75k p/w?

If Naismith was being paid a fiver a week it'd be more than he gives us.

I think I asked in the Sneijder thread, where are your wage comparison figures from? No agenda just interested to see.

The Guardian has us as the tenth biggest in 10-11. We paid 58 million, which was less than arsenal, villa, fulham, sunderland, chelsea, liverpool, man city, man utd, spurs and only 2 million more then west ham and bolton who ended up getting relegated and 4 million more than newcastle (who were paying 71 million the year they got relegated).

Since then our wage bill has grown to 63 million. But since no other club has released theirs yet, that I've heard of, there's no reason to think it's still not the tenth highest.

It mgiht be more then we can afford but it's madness to ask any manager to achieve anything when half the rest of the league are paying better wages.

The wages paid are the best possible way of telling how the market values our players. The market says in 10-11 we had the tenth best players in the league and we finished 7th. That's getting more then we're paying.

I wonder if this totally inept board have even got anyone one in mind? Knowing that he has only 6 months left on his contract.

Martinez - for someone who is acclaimed as a visionary he spends a lot of time in the relegation zone. We might as well draw up a list of names that are mates of Bill.

Wants to play a style his team cant pull off consistently.

But if you want results.... See Big Sam etc.

Chalk and cheese.

Agreed. I don't necessarily think he would have the same philosophy as Moyes.

You could be right. However, I think many managers end up playing their own personal style of football. Moyes is a former defender so his game is (until this season anyway) ultra cautious. In contrast, Howard Kendall was an attacking skilful midfielder and his 1980s side had talented midfielders who could win the ball and take the game to the opposition and score goals themselves for fun.

I think Neville has just a bit too much of the sideways pass or long diagonal hoof in him to manage us, unless we want a return to the Walter Smith era of the long ball to a target man's head.

I think either Martinez or Laudrup. Failing that I'd rather have Kendall back for a 4th spell or maybe someone like Dave Jones....a former Blue.

I wouldn't want Hughes (has failed to succeed at several clubs now) or Hughton (last year's competent Norwich are now looking rather fragile).

Status
Not open for further replies.