"Moyes fears over Everton's summer transfer war chest"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know what's going to happen. Loans and a £10-15mill rated player by the end of the summer. If not 2 rounded and exciting steals at £6-7 mill.

Lets not forget Moyes has already spent 2mill on a right back, an undisclosed fee for a German defender, and a fee for the Yank Peterlin. Then we've got contract extensions for 2 key players.

That's not my interpretation mate. Sizeable warchest means to me that Moyes will be given the funds to bring in at least one or two quality players.

Fair enough, but Elstone describes last summer as part of a succesful pattern of spending over the past 4-5 seasons. No doubt he'd describe the £15m cost of Fellaini as the product of a 'sizeable warchest' belatedly given to Moyes when in reality we practically balanced the books in comings and goings.

Thats that sorted then Davey:

"I haven't been told how much money I will have to spend in the summer, but I expect to be given a figure to work around this week. I know we've got the FA Cup Final to think about, but I need to start thinking about next season and it's important for me to know which end of the market I can look at."

"I don't think there will be a massive amount for me to spend, but that's something I can't control."

This season has shown how small a squad we have, maybe with Castillo , Jacobson , Jo leaving we surely need 3 - 5 extra players.
I keep hearing this and it's a ridiculous statement.

This season has done the exact opposite. This season has shown how much depth we have.

Ridiculous amounts of injuries and we finish 5th and are in the FA Cup final. Youngsters coming in and doing a job.

In comparison Villa have crumbled apart from a single injury to Laursen.

Losing Castillo? Who cares. Rodwell is breaking through anyway. Jacobsen? We can sign him if we want, but we have Coleman waiting on the wings. Jo? Yakubu is back, and Baxter will be 18 next year and he will need to have time to play just like Rodwell and Gosling.

We don't need to bring any more fringe squad players because we need to keep giving the youth players chances so that they can progress.

All we need in the summer is one or two quality, starting 11 signings who can give us width on the right.

So that Gomez fella instead of Moutinho then.....I can live with that

BUT I would look at the option of getting a few mill for Anichebe and possibly Osman to give us more in the pot

I keep hearing this and it's a ridiculous statement.

This season has done the exact opposite. This season has shown how much depth we have.

Ridiculous amounts of injuries and we finish 5th and are in the FA Cup final. Youngsters coming in and doing a job.

In comparison Villa have crumbled apart from a single injury to Laursen.

Losing Castillo? Who cares. Rodwell is breaking through anyway. Jacobsen? We can sign him if we want, but we have Coleman waiting on the wings. Jo? Yakubu is back, and Baxter will be 18 next year and he will need to have time to play just like Rodwell and Gosling.

We don't need to bring any more fringe squad players because we need to keep giving the youth players chances so that they can progress.

All we need in the summer is one or two quality, starting 11 signings who can give us width on the right.

Thats a great post mate, couldnt agree with you more. Its quality we need from this point on. The blend is great between youth and expierence now. I cant help but feel given Moyes's and some of the players confident quotes of this being a begining that they see more behind the scenes then we do of players breaking through and the like. Two quality signings (hopefully) and maybe a loan.

Cant help feel this window is going to be positive for us, i see Spurs have to sell players to buy and Villa dont seem to be as afluent as they were, Newcastle i think safe to say wont be gazumping us anytime soon while City will buy players but not a team.

To our advantage many of those clubs are not used to having to be considered and economical in a market we've been forced to work in for years and we have honed our skills and contacts within it. Regardless of what we spend only good things will come of this window i feel.

Whats this confidence and optimisim about transfers. :oops:

Last edited:
Moyes has intimated as such for the previous four years. And everytime he has then gone out and broken our transfer record. Managing expectation and looking for the best deal possible for the club. Like Wenger said recently "If you want to get the club bust, I'm not the person to do that."

Given the current finacial climate i'm expecting a very quiet summer moneywise for players,hopefully a couple of free's and loaners to span the squad out as well though

I don't know why any of this is a surprise. Rather than look at what Elstone is saying all you have to do is look at the accounts. They're on the OS.

I think there is a lot of ego involved in transfer dealings, from a fans point of view I mean. We all like to brag to our friends from other clubs that we're spending all this money. Who cares? Does it matter that Cahill and Arteta barely cost anything? Does it diminish from their qualities?

The squad will improve next year simply through having the injured players back and the young lads having had more experience. I would like one more player for the wide midfield roles but we've shown already that we do ok with Pienaar and Osman there.

Unless the accounts lie we won't be spending much, but unless the table lies it suggests we don't need to to maintain 5th spot.

Now of course if people expect us to challenge for 4th then I don't think that's realistic because we don't have the money to do so. If Arsenal or whoever slip up then we may have a chance but that should be regarded as the exception rather than the rule until some sugar daddy decides to blow his wad all over us.

Moyes has intimated as such for the previous four years. And everytime he has then gone out and broken our transfer record. Managing expectation and looking for the best deal possible for the club. Like Wenger said recently "If you want to get the club bust, I'm not the person to do that."
Yeah, he'll sell a couple of players so he gets the money to break the transfer record and everyone is happy again?

The squad will improve next year simply through having the injured players back and the young lads having had more experience. I would like one more player for the wide midfield roles but we've shown already that we do ok with Pienaar and Osman there.
And we won't have any injuries next season?

The reason we have so many injuries is Moyes can't rest his key players when it would be a good idea. There have been a few unlucky injuries, but often strains and such are direct consequence of too many games.

I may be wrong as I'm basing this on no more than a hunch, but have we ever had a season so beset by injuries? I can't recall one under Moyes. I'm not talking the little niggles here and there that put players out for a few weeks, but the number of season ending injuries. Valente, Vaughan, Yak, Arteta, Anichebe, Jags have all had lengthy injuries that you can't associate with over playing.

Like I said, this is only a hunch, but if you can tell me of other seasons that we've had so many injuries then it would provide a trend to support your argument as we've never had a large squad to enable rotation.

I may be wrong as I'm basing this on no more than a hunch, but have we ever had a season so beset by injuries? I can't recall one under Moyes. I'm not talking the little niggles here and there that put players out for a few weeks, but the number of season ending injuries. Valente, Vaughan, Yak, Arteta, Anichebe, Jags have all had lengthy injuries that you can't associate with over playing.

Like I said, this is only a hunch, but if you can tell me of other seasons that we've had so many injuries then it would provide a trend to support your argument as we've never had a large squad to enable rotation.
Valente and Vaughan were hardly surprises. Glass ankels don't tend to get fixed. Anichebe is a bit-part player and Jags got injured near the end of the season, so he didn't miss that many games. That really leaves Yak and Arteta as the major losses.

And over-playing can cause long-term injuries as well. For instance, when muscles are tired you get more ligament injuries and even knee problems.

Bit of an evasive answer there Makis. You yourself said we've had a lot of injuries, now you're saying few of those made any difference.

I'm inclined to agree that overplaying can result in injury but we've had a similar size squad ever since Moyes has been manager so surely we should have had the same number of injuries every year?

Status
Not open for further replies.