Moyes and youth

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele

Player Valuation: £8m
Moyes gets sticks about not using young players. I disagree and I've made a list of players whom Moyes has given a chance. Due to circumstances, some have proved him wrong. What you think guys ?

Magaye Gueye - arrived the club at 19. Debut at 20.
Ross Barkley - debut at 17.
Leon Osman - debut at 23.
Seamus Coleman - arrived at 20. Debut at 21.
Marouane Fellaini - arrived at 20. Debut at 20.
Apostolos Vellios - arrived at 19, debut at 19.
Victor Anichebe - debut at 17.
Shane Duffy - arrived at 16, debut at 18.
Conor McAleny - debut at 18.
Jake Bidwell - debut at 16
Luke Garbutt - arrived at 16 ,debut at 19.
Jack Rodwell - debut at 16.
Jose Baxter - debut at 16.
Wayne Rooney - debut at 16.
Francis Jeffers - debut at 16.
James Wallace - debut at 17.

People just like to see young players in the team, they're not too concerned about the fact they might not be anywhere near the standard required.

It's like with Duffy, it'd be interesting to see if all those advocating his inclusion have seen him play more than a handful of times.

People just like to see young players in the team, they're not too concerned about the fact they might not be anywhere near the standard required.

It's like with Duffy, it'd be interesting to see if all those advocating his inclusion have seen him play more than a handful of times.

That does seem to be the situation, and then when they are not really good enough it is Moyes fault for either not identifying the right players or "ruining" them.

Having said that, i think there have been some players where he could have given them more of a go - Duffy (especially with the form Heitinga has been in recently), Barkley and perhaps Velios.

Circumstances have forced a lot of them to play and they haven't been given a good run, rather used as stop gaps due to the size of our squad.. Francis Jeffers was Walter Smith. Wayne Rooney was already bubbling under the surface and was a foregone conclusion. Can't put Felli in that list not costing £15m. Osman at 23 not really a youngster and always had potential but a serious injury delayed matters until he proved himself at Derby County on loan.

Quite a few of those listed have been bought by Moyes and not developed entirely in our youth system.

Last edited:

Throwing them in due to injuries, watching them play very well for a few games and then dropping them never to be seen again is not really a 'chance'.

It must be disheartening for the players involved and after a whilst I am sure they start stagnating and regressing due to the lack of 1st team football.

I think the issue is how Moyes usually only gives them a very brief chance, and often only due to the his square pegs - which he'd prefer to fit into a round hole - being injured.

And then he often catapults them into the abyss of stiffs' football for the merest hint of a bad game, rather than giving them a proper run to prove themselves over a period of time or matches.

Seen him play twice last season for the first time. Thought he acquitted himself really well.

Weren't most of the home-grown youth thrown in together for their debut in the Europa? If so that skews the debate somewhat mate :)

Osmans debut was in 2002, he is 31 now so how does that make him 23 when he made his debut?

Loads of those lads have played about 14 minutes.

He's a "proven pro" man even Rooney was on and off the bench.

Kilbane said on the radio last week Moyes was waiting for Derby to up the offer for Osman but they never did if they had he was sold.

Very much a needs must manager and I think the young lads know one mistake and it's back in the stiffs - Coleman is a classic example given an enencumbered run he's playing with far more authority.

Trouble is that he seems to mistrust our youth players much more today than he did earlier on. He's even more safety-first nowadays than he has ever been before, and I don't think it's anything to do with the the relative strength of our squad then vs now. If you have seen some of the football we have played this year it has been pretty dire at times, and even then he hasn't been able to bring on fresh blood to liven it up.

Our academy output has been gradually deteriorating, even the RS have arguably surpassed us now.

Duffy had four blinding games in an injure crisis last season MOTM in two of the games = dropped as soon as Distan was fit - it would never have happened in the Harry Cattrick years if you want to look at youth & reserve players he used - Colin Harvey - Joe Royle - Roger Kenyon - John Hurst - Alan Whittle - Jimmy Husband - Tommy Wright - all kept bigger legends out than we have now - Those players won things too!

rodwell was the last one to come through the youth set-up to play regularly and he emerged nearly 5 yrs ago. to me that is an appalling record for a manager who has had 11 yrs to have everything set up to his liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.