Most important Everton game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok !
After reading the relegation thread.
There seems to be a difference of opinion on our biggest game.
Personally it's the Cup winners cup final
Relegation battles don't cut the mustard for me.
Records are there to be broken unfortunately.
The next game is always the most important game.

The past is nice, but I always want to win the next game

The biggest reason I refuse to believe that tonight's game is our most important is mainly because we can potentially lose tonight and lose again on Sunday and still stay in the premier league. I'd say Brentford vs Leeds is probably a bigger game in Everton's history than either of the 2 games we have left to play as that's the one that determines whether we need any more points or not. Relegation is NEVER caused by a defeat right at the end of a season. Relegation comes from far too many defeats over the course of a 38 game season. Every single one of the 20 defeats we've had so far have been as important as the game tonight.
If we'd have beaten Leeds back in August we wouldn't be in this position now but who considers that game to have been important?
If we hadn't been battered at home to Watford we wouldn't be in this position now but who considers that game to have been important?
All 38 games of a league season are equally important. If the players were showing a fight to survive in every game throughout the season we might not be in the position we're in now.

If you want to point to a relegation match that is an important one in Everton's history then the game against Wimbledon in 1994 has to be far, far more important than tonight's. We went in to that one on the final day of the season in the relegation zone and absolutely having to win or we were going down. We're not in that position tonight. Relegation in 1994 would have been just as devastating for the club in 1994 as it would be in 2022. The reason some are saying tonight is more important is probably because they're either too young to remember 1994 or time has healed the significance of it.
I'd say the game in 1998 against Coventry is probably a close second in terms of important relegation games but we only needed a draw on that day thanks to a very dodgy decision at Bolton earlier in the season.

Look back to 1997-98. We could have lost both games and stayed up, as it goes that wasn’t enough.

It’s not quite that cut and dry.

The financial implications of us going down right now are far greater than 94 & 98. Years of poor spending, and increasing losses are massive to the club, a loss of revenue will cripple it.

But we’re sentimental too. We’ve all grown up with a Goodison and now it’s potentially going out, we don’t want the old lady going out in a lower league, why should we?

Every game is equally important, after all, every game is worth 3 points for a win, but right now, the season boils down to two games, with the latter being away to a side we historically perform poorly at.

Today is 1997-98 reversed. Get the points we need today. It may not matter, in the grand scheme but thousands across the world are terrified at the prospect.

I’m aware of 94, I was there in 98. This isn’t a “healer” this is the case. It’s the biggest game in decades.

The biggest reason I refuse to believe that tonight's game is our most important is mainly because we can potentially lose tonight and lose again on Sunday and still stay in the premier league. I'd say Brentford vs Leeds is probably a bigger game in Everton's history than either of the 2 games we have left to play as that's the one that determines whether we need any more points or not. Relegation is NEVER caused by a defeat right at the end of a season. Relegation comes from far too many defeats over the course of a 38 game season. Every single one of the 20 defeats we've had so far have been as important as the game tonight.
If we'd have beaten Leeds back in August we wouldn't be in this position now but who considers that game to have been important?
If we hadn't been battered at home to Watford we wouldn't be in this position now but who considers that game to have been important?
All 38 games of a league season are equally important. If the players were showing a fight to survive in every game throughout the season we might not be in the position we're in now.

If you want to point to a relegation match that is an important one in Everton's history then the game against Wimbledon in 1994 has to be far, far more important than tonight's. We went in to that one on the final day of the season in the relegation zone and absolutely having to win or we were going down. We're not in that position tonight. Relegation in 1994 would have been just as devastating for the club in 1994 as it would be in 2022. The reason some are saying tonight is more important is probably because they're either too young to remember 1994 or time has healed the significance of it.
I'd say the game in 1998 against Coventry is probably a close second in terms of important relegation games but we only needed a draw on that day thanks to a very dodgy decision at Bolton earlier in the season.
I still dont think today is as bad a situation as 1998 against Coventry as if Bolton had won at Chelsea that day it would not have mattered whether we won or not we were down

We needed to better Bolton, a draw was only enough if they lost. The dodgy decision earlier in the season is irrelevant. The idea that if we'd gone 1-0 we'd have approached the 2nd half the same, isn't likely.

We needed to better Bolton, a draw was only enough if they lost. The dodgy decision earlier in the season is irrelevant. The idea that if we'd gone 1-0 we'd have approached the 2nd half the same, isn't likely.
The reference to the Bolton decision was very tongue in cheek. It certainly irks a lot of Bolton fans to this day. They definitely blame their relegation on that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.