Most important Everton game

Status
Not open for further replies.
This tomorrow is bigger than any cup final.

For Everton, reaching the Cup Winners Cup Final was a crowning jewel in a great era, unfortunately ended without our control.

But that side was amazing. Thag side would have had other opportunities.

98 Coventry was less perilous. 94 comes close.

The debt, the mismanagement, the wages, the lack of sellable assets, the stadium they all have huge impacts if we can’t stay up.
We potential don’t come back if we go down, Goodison may never see a top flight game.

No one wants us to go down ever, and the sheer ineptitude of the board has probably caused this. For me, having seen the huge fan turnaround and the closeness growing with the player squad and staff has been amazing and I know if we go that’s fine forever.

Tomorrow is bigger than any final.

Arsenal are the most seasons continuously.. but we're the most seasons overall.
I don’t count Arsenal’s run. They finished 5th in Division 2 prior to the suspension of football when World War 1 broke out. When league football resumed in 1919 they were back in the top flight - thanks to a few backhanders. And no, they didn’t win the play-offs ?

If Everton lose to Palace then people will start saying the game against Arsenal is then the most important game in our history. But if we lose to Arsenal and get relegated, it's the poor performances over the whole season that sent us down, not just those 2 games. Win, lose or draw neither of the next 2 games are as important as any game in the past that resulted in us winning a trophy.
Winning trophies is what goes down in history. Winning trophies is what clubs are judged on.

"if you know your history" and all that!!

I was there mate. All i remember is keown coming off with a broken nose(i think) after a battle with wright and bright.
The rest of the day is a foggy memory though
Hope you didnt get the pa call ?
Ha ha, no I didn’t, she was convinced he’d be late and was right. I was working in Coventry at the time so I went to Leicester v Brighton at Filbert st. the day before.

Tomorrow is bigger than any final.
If we win tomorrow and Leeds & Burnley don't pick up any more points, on paper we've had a relatively comfortable survival by at least 5 points. This season will pretty much be forgotten. Tomorrow's game will pretty much be forgotten.

Cup finals never get forgotten. I went to every Wembley appearance in the 80s and 90s and I remember every single one of them. I went to Rotterdam in '85 and I remember every moment of it.

If we win tomorrow and Leeds & Burnley don't pick up any more points, on paper we've had a relatively comfortable survival by at least 5 points. This season will pretty much be forgotten. Tomorrow's game will pretty much be forgotten.

Cup finals never get forgotten. I went to every Wembley appearance in the 80s and 90s and I remember every single one of them. I went to Rotterdam in '85 and I remember every moment of it.

Never forgotten.

But they are usually surrounded in our history by a side we all enjoy, all have enjoyed (or so I’m told).

No one will ever take them away, lose the memories. But win or lose a cup final will cause less impact on the club.

Relegation will absolutely destroy the club, so all those amazing memories you’ve had (and I’m very jealous I can only say “you’ve”) will potentially cease to exist.

You’re right a win saves us, and makes it comfortable, but a loss sends us to Arsenal where historically we’ve been terrible.

Never forgotten.

But they are usually surrounded in our history by a side we all enjoy, all have enjoyed (or so I’m told).

No one will ever take them away, lose the memories. But win or lose a cup final will cause less impact on the club.

Relegation will absolutely destroy the club, so all those amazing memories you’ve had (and I’m very jealous I can only say “you’ve”) will potentially cease to exist.

You’re right a win saves us, and makes it comfortable, but a loss sends us to Arsenal where historically we’ve been terrible.

comfortable? ffs.

this is the biggest game for the club ever

This is the most important game. It's never easy for this club but I feel sure we will get through this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.