Moshiri v Kenwright. Is There a Split At the Top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't a stretch to think Moshiri had the fingers pointed at him for prior sackings, some signings and the whole Benitez saga as a reason the club hasn't moved forward. Perhaps he gave his word he wouldn't interfere with the running of the club to see if that did turn things around.
I remember Moshiri stated when Frank took over, he would not get involved & let Frank & the DOF just get on with it ..... Just look whats happened ?

I remember Moshiri stated when Frank took over, he would not get involved & let Frank & the DOF just get on with it ..... Just look whats happened ?
Yeah but this has only happened because of the fall out from when he did get involved, the squad has been built, the money has been wasted, its easy to desert a sinking ship and pass the buck to others

….it’s all guesswork but I wonder if @The binman chronicles @Billy Dean & @Khalekan have hit on something here, suggesting the Benitez debacle is playing out here.

The club was already in a mess but has spiralled downwards since Benitez. It wasn’t just his failure as a coach, he caused great conflict throughout the club with his actions.

I have always suspected Brands in particular gets a bad deal. I get the criticism (that he probably acquired the likes of Klaassen) but I wonder if he at least had the diplomacy to keep things together. He was appointed to the Board, he worked with managers, not against them until Benitez refused to even pick up the phone to him.

As others have hinted, that massive mistake might have forced Moshiri into agreeing to not interfere with major appointments again. i wonder where Thelwell fits in this theory.

Not defending Brands but I remember at the time, he was dead set against sacking Silva our manager at the time, there are divisions everywhere at our dysfunctional club.

a0f3761de434d25dfd80b0fa808204c1.jpg

Moshiri and Kenwrights working relationship.

I have often suspected that there is a power struggle at the top of this club between Moshiri and Kenwright. However, and crucially, I don't think either would have it any other way.

Moshiri isn't interested in the club in the slightest, so Kenwright running it, and sucking most of the oxygen out of the room when things go wrong, is perfect for him. Conversely, Kenwright has never wanted to let his train set go, so getting to run the club on a day-to-day basis whilst having virtually no skin in the game financially anymore is perfect for him. I think it was telling when Marcel Brands was the only one to get the bullet last season from the Board, despite the fact that he himself was a pitiful fraud. I imagine he was appointed by Moshiri who wanted him as DoF from the very beginning so Brands leaving meant that it was only Kenwright lapdogs left. Sascha Ryastansev and Sarvar Izmailov were also Moshiri Board appointments who left for different reasons before any Kenwright crony has been chased.

It's basically a match made in hell.

That was Moshiri with the 2 football “experts” either side of him to answer his questions as he doesn’t know what he sees in front of him. I think it has finally sank in that listening to Bill‘s drivel hasn’t been a good indicator in the past, Lampard came up woefully short again.
If I was as clueless about football as Farhad demonstrably is, I too would prefer to have Thelwell and Sharp either side of me if the choice was them versus Denise and Bill. I'd be asking Sharp about Dominic Calvert-Lewin and how he plays and should play. I'd be picking his brains about how the players would be feeling and should be feeling. I'd be interested in Thelwell's view on how Lampard's team is or isn't implementing the footballing philosophy that the Director of Football is initiating. Then, after the game, I'd donate a few quid to Denise's charity foundation and ask Bill for recommendations for a show in London.

If I was as clueless about football as Farhad demonstrably is, I too would prefer to have Thelwell and Sharp either side of me if the choice was them versus Denise and Bill. I'd be asking Sharp about Dominic Calvert-Lewin and how he plays and should play. I'd be picking his brains about how the players would be feeling and should be feeling. I'd be interested in Thelwell's view on how Lampard's team is or isn't implementing the footballing philosophy that the Director of Football is initiating. Then, after the game, I'd donate a few quid to Denise's charity foundation and ask Bill for recommendations for a show in London.
Is that you Farhad?

Spilts: yes
Fundamental differences on strategy: yes
Fundamental differences on key appointments: yes
Weak leadership on both sides of the factions: yes
Financial decisions over time that bailed out the above lack of coordinated strategy: yes
Financial circumstances that would continue to paper over the above lack of strategy: not any more
Major backside covering and avoidance of blame/accountability: absolutely!!
A text book example of how NOT to run a football club: absolutely

I have often suspected that there is a power struggle at the top of this club between Moshiri and Kenwright. However, and crucially, I don't think either would have it any other way.

Moshiri isn't interested in the club in the slightest, so Kenwright running it, and sucking most of the oxygen out of the room when things go wrong, is perfect for him. Conversely, Kenwright has never wanted to let his train set go, so getting to run the club on a day-to-day basis whilst having virtually no skin in the game financially anymore is perfect for him. I think it was telling when Marcel Brands was the only one to get the bullet last season from the Board, despite the fact that he himself was a pitiful fraud. I imagine he was appointed by Moshiri who wanted him as DoF from the very beginning so Brands leaving meant that it was only Kenwright lapdogs left. Sascha Ryastansev and Sarvar Izmailov were also Moshiri Board appointments who left for different reasons before any Kenwright crony has been chased.

It's basically a match made in hell.
I don't think there is a power struggle, or has been one, Moshiri has the power, there was no struggle about it, he said what goes and that was it.
Then suddenly, around the same time Usmanov was done, he bailed too leaving us with an unpopular manager in Rafael, FFP around the corner and a joke of a squad.
But there was no struggle, Farhad ran the show

I don’t see how Moshiri can be at odds with people in a business he owns?

If they’re in dispute he could just remove them, unless he doesn’t even trust himself to make appropriate replacements - which I wouldn’t be surprised given the last fella he appointed was done for GBH

If they’re in dispute he could just remove them, unless he doesn’t even trust himself to make appropriate replacements - which I wouldn’t be surprised given the last fella he appointed was done for GBH
There not at odds at all, he is just useless and seems to have accepted it now, but there not at odds, if they are as you say one side is gone, and it's not the owner

Moshiri is the main shareholder of the club. All power rests with him. The others are only employees of the club. Moshiri could remove them today if he so wished, and they could do nothing about it. Why he hasn't removed them is the mystery. Unless they know more about his relationship with Usi. He might be afraid to remove them because otherwise they could talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.