2018/19 Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing that grates with Silva - two positive results, he then inexplicably changes the team. Done that a few times this season.
Either he still doesn't really know his best team or he wants to blindly adhere to what he believes is his best team even though the results don't match up.

More important however, like @zook implied, his substitutions are consistently in the bracket of questionable and sometimes simply bizarre.

You say that but the midfield make up of Gomes, Gana and Sig ahead of them has been proven not to provide cover for the back four, and Morgan as much as I'm not his biggest fan he is the most natural DM in the squad. He has the tactical discipline to shield that shaky back four(Gana presses away from that position too much he doesn't sit and doesn't do the ariel clearing up) and he did well in the last two games. I can understand not starting him against a team like Newcastle as Gomes brings more going forward but to not bring him on was a mistake and further illustrates Silva's tactical naivety for me. If we are losing he lashes on strikers if we need to hold on he lashes on defenders, but keeping the ball and shielding the back four is more important when you are under the cosh, adding another CB might be ok for the last ten minutes but with half an hour to go it merely brings the opposition onto you.
It is worth trying Gomes in Sigurdsson's role with Schneiderlin behind, we won't lose any pace as they are all as slow as each other and Gomes gets more involved than Sig.

It is worth trying Gomes in Sigurdsson's role with Schneiderlin behind, we won't lose any pace as they are all as slow as each other and Gomes gets more involved than Sig.

You want gomes with one goal to play attacking midfield ahead of our top scorer? Even less goals in the team, yipee.

You want gomes with one goal to play attacking midfield ahead of our top scorer? Even less goals in the team, yipee.

He hasn't been playing in an attacking role though. You are basing his goal input off a role he has not played in.

I can see the reasoning on playing Gomes further forward, good range of passing, very strong and shields the ball well. I do think his skills are wasted somewhat further back.

He hasn't been playing in an attacking role though. You are basing his goal input off a role he has not played in.

I can see the reasoning on playing Gomes further forward, good range of passing, very strong and shields the ball well. I do think his skills are wasted somewhat further back.

According to wiki his highest ever goal return is 4 on a loan to Valencia. Not sure on his position mind.

he's not played attacking mid because he's not that kind of player. Every time siggurdsson goes one game without a goal we get the same old silly suggestions like this. He;s the 12th highest scorer in the league, 4th highest scorer behind hazard, sterling and pogba ... yet we should replace him with a box-to-box midfielder, holy christ.

he's not played attacking mid because he's not that kind of player. Every time siggurdsson goes one game without a goal we get the same old silly suggestions like this. He;s the 12th highest scorer in the league, 4th highest scorer behind hazard, sterling and pogba ... yet we should replace him with a box-to-box midfielder, holy christ.

I wasn't the one who suggested it!

I wasn't the one who suggested it!
It was just a tactical suggestion as our midfield is continuously overrun, and Sigurdsson goes missing for long periods and has never dominated a game against a top team. Which is a problem when nothing sticks up front and he also is not Silva’s preferred type of player in this position. I would keep him at no. 10 when we get the real box to box ENERGETIC passing midfielders we badly need.

Did his job well when he came on , steadying our defence.
It’s a difficult conundrum with this team that we look more stable with Schniederlin in the side but look much better offensively with Gomes.
Perhaps we ultimately need to recruit one player who combines both their roles,

It’s a difficult conundrum with this team that we look more stable with Schniederlin in the side but look much better offensively with Gomes.

Or gomes plays in a midfield 3?

I cant think of many players that are good at both ends. The problem really is that our number 10 plays more like a striker than a midfielder so we're very reliant on gomes/Schneiderlin to build the play. Not having a go at Gylfi it's just the kind of player he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.