2020/21 Moise Kean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen. Im not a footballer, but I could do that with no pressure on me and a ball floated at me with loads of time to prepare. What fans are commenting on here is his ability to control the ball under pressure when players are drilling it into him. He takes about five touches to get it under control. He has no room and he has to use skill to be able to do it.
And you mentioned james putting the ball in for him. I’m fairly sure if you go through his player cam from the Tottenham game, you see him drilling it into Kean in the last few minutes in a good position. But guess what happens.....he miscontrols it......

He was on the pitch about 50 seconds when that ball was fizzed into him by James and IIRC he got it under control and got tackled when trying to take it through Alderweireld.

Personally think there's some seriously harsh judgments on this thread.

How many times did he hit the woodwork last night? Think it was 3. How many times did he hit the woodwork last season?
Small margins between him being a flop and being a diamond in the rough... I've seen more than enough from him at the age he is to think he'll be an excellent player and I really hope that it's for us.

It took about 70 league games for DCL to score his first 10 goals for Everton (and he had his first appearances at pretty much the same age as Moise). I'm positive if you go back through DCL's thread you'll see a carbon copy of this conversation there, "not good enough", "championship player", "couldn't finish a book" etc.
As far as I'm concerned, he's proved all of those folks wrong.

Moise will do the same. Definitely hitting double figures this season - vault me.

I know he scored the penalty but the show boating run up is embarrasing. Great when it goes in but he'll just look a tit when one doesn't. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we got shut as I think it will be some time before he shows any consistent quality as he clearly not going to be a first choice selection.

Don't think that was showboating mate. Have seen loads of players do it in the last few months - I think the idea is that it completely throws off the timing of the keepers dive.
I agree that it's not a good idea, the turf is gonna go from underneath someones standing foot eventually and we'll see a John Terry like miss - just don't think it was showboating.

He needs a good season with first team football but it ain’t going to be here

I might be completely wrong but he may have had people blowing smoke up his arse since he was 15/16. Or he may have thought i will easly walk into teams. A loan spell may make him think this isnt as easy as i thought. Because he aint getting anywhere near a regular first team game here right now.

I might be completely wrong but he may have had people blowing smoke up his arse since he was 15/16. Or he may have thought i will easly walk into teams. A loan spell may make him think this isnt as easy as i thought. Because he aint getting anywhere near a regular first team game here right now.

DCL injury and Moise Kean is immediately into our starting XI.
Games where we're more than a single goal ahead and he'll get more time on the pitch than he did against Spurs.

The kid is being judged on:
1) A season where we were atrocious and he was given just 834 minutes (~9 games) of league football, mostly in 5 -10 minute chunks.
2) A 3 minute appearance away to Spurs this season where he didn't score the only chance that he had.
3) A cup game against a league 2 side where he hit the woodwork 3 times and scored a goal (albeit a penalty)

He's not one of our massive earners.
18 months ago he was considered one of the top striking prospects in European football.

He just needs time and Carlo will give that to him.
Think the kid has a very very bright future - just needs the support.

Edit: just to add to this, he's still played more time for Verona back when he was 17/18 than he has for us so far. He had scored just 9 league goals between his time at Juve and Verona. Some folks act like we were signing a player that was already the finished article as opposed to a teenager how has a ridiculously high ceiling.

Last edited:

Games where we're more than a single goal ahead and he'll get more time on the pitch than he did against Spurs.

1) A season where we were atrocious and he was given just 834 minutes (~9 games) of league football, mostly in 5 -10 minute chunks.
2) A 3 minute appearance away to Spurs this season where he didn't score the only chance that he had.
3) A cup game against a league 2 side where he hit the woodwork 3 times and scored a goal (albeit a penalty)

18 months ago he was considered one of the top striking prospects in European football.

Im not convinced he goes straight in with an injury to calvert lewin. I can see richarlison getting the nod more central. And an extra midfielder.
Personaly. I dont think hes ready to lead the line against better sides. Longer we stay in the cups the more chances he gets though.

Im not convinced he goes straight in with an injury to calvert lewin. I can see richarlison getting the nod more central. And an extra midfielder.
Personaly. I dont think hes ready to lead the line against better sides. Longer we stay in the cups the more chances he gets though.

Actually, you're probably right there given how promising Gordon looks as a deputy on the left. I don't think Richarlison is as effective playing up front personally but that's likely how we would set up given a DCL injury.

Still think folks are writing this kid off wayyyy to early (not a comment directed at yourself, just a general response to the mood on this thread)

Well if there's a feeling in your water that there's a player in there, then I can't/won't argue. The point I would make is that I haven't actually seen anything good from him. The first time he received a gentle pass last night, his attempt at control sent it 8 feet vertically into the air. A long series of miscontrols followed, mixed up with misdirected flicks that gave the ball away. Even one of his woodwork hits would have been a hundred times easier to nod into the goal. Contrast this with Gordon or Nkounkou, where after 5 minutes you're thinking, "Aye, aye - that's potentially a proper good player".

Not saying Kean can't yet come good, but seen little or no evidence to suggest it. Nothing personal against the bloke, but that's just what I think.

Personally last night Simms upfront Walcott not even on the bench, as every time he plays a million is reduced on his selling price..... - Kean out wide - not a back to goal player better cutting in with his pace - had an ok game, but imo never a back to goal player..... a bit of confidence there is a player in there...... plus he had Kenny as back up ..... on the night Wallcott was appalling .....

I am sorry but I just don't think he is good enough for the premiere league and I would not mind him moving on providing we replace him straight away.

His touch is poor, there is no getting around that. He does need to improve that part of his game really. He might be sound in a slower league where he has time for an extra touch but you are going to be under pressure immediately in the PL. You need an excellent touch.

He needs to be given time though. He’s young. He’ll improve with the right experience. But we also need to be conscious of the fact that we need to compete and I’m not sure how consistent he’d be as a starter. So he needs to be patient too. Theres no way he’s good enough to start at a team wanting top 6 in the PL atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.