2019/20 Moise Kean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm quite fair to DCL but one has played about 200 minutes over 5 games and the other has appeared nearly 100 times. If it's too early to say Kean should be performing better, it's also too early to say the system is an issue with him.

Kean is facing the same issues DCL faced in the same system

If Kean ends up with double figures this season in the same system then I'll concede that DCL was the issue and not the tactics

However, right now I think he's going to end up with a similar goal haul as DCL did last season

Not because he isn't a good player (Because I like Kean and think he's oozing potential) but because ANYONE is going to struggle in this system because of the way the striker has to play. I'm all for everyone giving Kean time and looking to the positives in his play even if he doesn't score. I'm the same way. I'm not blaming him at all and I'm looking forward to seeing him play further

However, there is a definite double standard going on here. No matter how new Kean is and no matter how many good flashes he has shown, he and DCL are essentially in a similar position. They are young talented strikers struggling to score in a Marco Silva team which operates a system that leaves the striker woefully isolated and battling for crumbs

The system is, and always has been, the issue in my eyes and the fact Kean hasn't scored yet despite showing that he has skills in his locker only strengthens my resolve on that front and I feel it goes some way to vindicating DCL for his struggles last season

Kean has done no more and no less than DCL, but he’s had a couple of games at a new club.
He should start producing more, the more game time he gets and the more he gets used to the players.

But... I don’t think we do any of our strikers any favours. If you look at the amount of chances our actual CF get compared to the wingers or Gylfi, it’s no coincidence that whoever is CF gets a lot less, no matter who it is.

1000% agree

The only benefit to Kean's recent travails that I can see is that it could finally get people on board with this sentiment

How long does he have to not score for before we can start questioning the tactics? (Not him, my issue isn't with him, I like him)

Because I'll happily wait and bring this back up with you then
Fully agree that 4-2-3-1 or the way we use it doesn't benefit our striker, I even said if we're gonna carry on with this formation we may as well not have bought Kean because we won't play to his strengths, It was the same with Lukaku some games he moped about because we rarely give strikers service.
We rarely slot our strikers 1 on 1 with the keeper and this garbage formation is the root of it all.

Fully agree that 4-2-3-1 or the way we use it doesn't benefit our striker, I even said if we're gonna carry on with this formation we may as well not have bought Kean because we won't play to his strengths, It was the same with Lukaku some games he moped about because we rarely give strikers service.
We rarely slot our strikers 1 on 1 with the keeper and this garbage formation is the root of it all.

Agreed

So many people seem unwilling to give Silva up on this topic though and it baffles me

Part of me thinks it's because blaming it all on DCL was the more convenient choice than focusing on the fact that the manager has a tactical blindspot

Kean is facing the same issues DCL faced in the same system

If Kean ends up with double figures this season in the same system then I'll concede that DCL was the issue and not the tactics

However, right now I think he's going to end up with a similar goal haul as DCL did last season

Not because he isn't a good player (Because I like Kean and think he's oozing potential) but because ANYONE is going to struggle in this system because of the way the striker has to play. I'm all for everyone giving Kean time and looking to the positives in his play even if he doesn't score. I'm the same way. I'm not blaming him at all and I'm looking forward to seeing him play further

However, there is a definite double standard going on here. No matter how new Kean is and no matter how many good flashes he has shown, he and DCL are essentially in a similar position. They are young talented strikers struggling to score in a Marco Silva team which operates a system that leaves the striker woefully isolated and battling for crumbs

The system is, and always has been, the issue in my eyes and the fact Kean hasn't scored yet despite showing that he has skills in his locker only strengthens my resolve on that front and I feel it goes some way to vindicating DCL for his struggles last season

...Lukaku played in a similar system, Kane is a lone striker. You don’t need 2 to play up front, you need to get players into the top third, you need to get players in and around the striker, and you need to get midfielders running beyond him.

Both Iwobi and Richarlison scored headers in the 6 yard box from open play, which suggests Kean wasn’t isolated. It really is about movement. Sigurdsson also takes up great central positions, although I don’t see him regularly getting beyond Kean (like Alli does with Kane).

I think it’s a situation Brands/Silva are looking to address with the acquisition of running power.

How long does he have to not score for before we can start questioning the tactics? (Not him, my issue isn't with him, I like him)

Because I'll happily wait and bring this back up with you then

I don't know, I'm not an expert (there's a phrase you don't hear often on GOT). But if we're all preaching having patience with the kid and not expecting immediate fireworks then it seems odd to be saying he system won't allow him to succeed after one premier league start in a brand new team, when he's in a new country, doesn't speak the language and has got into position to shoot 6 times and make an assist as well as carrying the ball forward a fair few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.