2019/20 Moise Kean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I welcome your opinion.. however unlike simms, calvert lewin, holgate.. beckham?, kean was brought in for almost 30 million quid and i do not believe for one second he was brought as a "prospect" that may or may not make it. He was brought in to hit the ground running and improve us. Has the done that so far? If we brought a forward in for ten million, on a one year deal and he wasnt producing, getting subbed as a sub and generally not looking that promising.. we would all be questioning with they were brought in and would be wanting them out the club asap - eg. niasse.

Id love him to be a success as it would mean as an entire team we would have more success. For all we know these statements from carlo could be to force the hand of a prospective buyer or he could well feature more this season.. we simply do not know. But one thing is for certain he wasnt brought in to play bit parts and cameos - so for that to be the case so far suggests hes not trusted to do a job at this point in his career.

Maybe, maybe not.

He wasn't getting regular starts at Juventus so I think it may have been foolhardy if he was brought in with the assumption that he would immediately adapt to English football and lead the line. He may well have been bought with the idea that at current market rates £30M really isn't that big a price for a player widely touted as one of the most promising prospects around and even if it takes a year or two that will look like pigeon feed compared to what he could be worth.

Wolves have just dropped £35M, a club record, on Fabio Silva. He's 18 years old and has managed 1 goal in 18 senior appearances for Porto. Personally, I don't think they're expecting him to hit the ground running and play like Raul Jiminez.

Potential costs a lot these days. The transfer fee doesn't always translate strictly to immediate fireworks expected.

He scored goals in poor teams his whole career.

aged 17-22 in a bottom half of the table team, i guess that is DCL level material. (we can dream)

DCL has scored.

But he played slightly more than Shearer did.

Shearer is the best Premier League Striker I've seen, so I'm defo not comparing Kean or DCL to him, but loads of top Strikers started off slow.

Then there's the freaks like Rooney and Owen who started from day 1.

Entirely reasonable.

My problem is those who assume that if it's not working then it's most likely his attitude, lifestyle and poor entourage choices and seem to revel in apportioning blame based on sensationalised clickbait these stereotypical young footballer prejudices when they have as little actual clue as the rest of us.

There could be any number of problems and potentially issues he has no control over.

Incidentally, Kean is reportedly nowhere near the top earners at the club according to several reports - probably the lowest paid of the established senior strikers (since DCL's new contract), somewhere around the middle rung of earners in the overall established first team players and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in mid-table PL football. I don't think his wages are those that are being looked at with concern.
I believe he’s on about £50k a week, so it’s not crazy money in PL terms, but it’s not your average ‘striker who’s come through the academy and might improve’ wage either. Basically if we’re going to play 2 strikers we need 3 good ones. If he isn’t capable of contributing we have a decision to make, because I don’t think we can afford to bring a 4th one in. Again, I hope the coaches think he can do it this year, that would be ideal, but if they don’t I’m not sure we’re in a position to keep him.

Maybe, maybe not.

He wasn't getting regular starts at Juventus so I think it may have been foolhardy if he was brought in with the assumption that he would immediately adapt to English football and lead the line. He may well have been bought with the idea that at current market rates £30M really isn't that big a price for a player widely touted as one of the most promising prospects around and even if it takes a year or two that will look like pigeon feed compared to what he could be worth.

Wolves have just dropped £35M, a club record, on Fabio Silva. He's 18 years old and has managed 1 goal in 18 senior appearances for Porto. Personally, I don't think they're expecting him to hit the ground running and play like Raul Jiminez.

Potential costs a lot these days. The transfer fee doesn't always translate strictly to immediate fireworks expected.

And he could end up costing us - if he doesnt live upto the hype he came with. Im all for him being a success. However based on last seasons showing hes some way off showing much of this supposed talent. Yes he scored twice at the end of the season - which hopefully shows signs of life going into this season - but he came with a reputation and at this moment hes done nothing to increase his stock when hes been given the opportunity. He was far from mercurial for italy the other night.

I want to watch players help us compete now, not in 2-3 seasons when they decide its not so bad and they want to be here. Must be a reason he isnt getting played - we dont know the reason. We can only hazard a guess as mere mortals and form our own entitled, individual assessments. We dont pick the team do we, Carlo does - as did the managers before him - and Keans not been picked by any of them a great deal.

Anyway, im hopeful he puts a shift in this season and doesnt end up following in the footsteps of his fellow countryman, Balotelli, in a season or twos time - A talent but an inability to apply it due to a questionable (if indeed the case) attitude.

Last edited:

That's interesting. So he scored a hat trick on his debut then didn't score again for the rest of that season and the whole of the next one? Sounds a bit strange

Shearer was promoted to the first team after spending two years with the youth squad. He made his professional debut for Southampton on 26 March 1988, coming on as a substitute in a First Division fixture at Chelsea,[6] before prompting national headlines in his full debut at The Dell two weeks later. He scored a hat-trick, helping the team to a 4–2 victory against Arsenal, thus becoming the youngest player – at 17 years, 240 days – to score a hat-trick in the top division, breaking Jimmy Greaves' 30-year–old record.[6] Shearer ended the 1987–88 season with three goals in five games, and was rewarded with his first professional contract.[5]

Despite this auspicious start to his career, Shearer was only eased into the first team gradually and made just ten goalless appearances for the club the following season. Throughout his career Shearer was recognised for his strength,[7] which, during his time at Southampton, enabled him to retain the ball and provide opportunities for teammates.[6] Playing as a lone striker between wide men, Rod Wallace and Matt Le Tissier, Shearer scored three goals in 26 appearances in the 1989–90 season,[8] and in the next, four goals in 36 games.

What we paid for him is irrelevant now. With Carlo at the helm and a better midfield to feed him (hopefully with some more minutes too) I can see him really improving this season.

Were they full internationals, touted as the next big thing or bought for 30mil at 19? At no point have I said ship him out but its not unjust to expect more of a contribution, there must be a reason he hasnt been given more of an opportunity. IF he was showing the right attitude/supposed talent in training he would be getting more starts and more than 10 minute cameos regardless of the form of other players. Been periods dcl has been terrible and games weve been behind or looking for a winner yet iwobi, bernard and co have remained on the pitch for 85 minutes before keans been given a run out.

Id love kean to be given the start on sunday, give his best performance yet and lay claim to the position moving forwards. But I dont see him cutting it at Everton.

I always wonder why players fees are inflated.

Iwobi for example was £27mil rising to £35mil but posters call him a £35 or £40mil signing.

Likewise Kean was £22mil rising to £27mil.

No matter whether people love him or they dont surely just get the correct fees down.

Also, no idea why Kean wouldnt "cut it". At this moment no one knows and thats why he needs a second season.

His problem is that hes behind Richarlison and DCL who both hit double figures. The boy has to push one of them out.

Entirely reasonable.

My problem is those who assume that if it's not working then it's most likely his attitude, lifestyle and poor entourage choices and seem to revel in apportioning blame based on sensationalised clickbait these stereotypical young footballer prejudices when they have as little actual clue as the rest of us.

There could be any number of problems and potentially issues he has no control over.

Incidentally, Kean is reportedly nowhere near the top earners at the club according to several reports - probably the lowest paid of the established senior strikers (since DCL's new contract), somewhere around the middle rung of earners in the overall established first team players and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in mid-table PL football. I don't think his wages are those that are being looked at with concern.

£50k a week apparently which is tremendous. I think he could easily get a big jump on that if he went back to Italy...if anything id say taking that deal showed how 'Kean' he was lol

Maybe, maybe not.

Joao Felix over £100mil as well. Players like Kean and Silva are signed to develop into world class players over a few seasons.

As you say, its the world class potential people are buying hoping that in a few seasons these guys will be amongst the worlds best...not in a years time.

And he could end up costing us - if he doesnt live upto the hype he came with. Im all for him being a success. However based on last seasons showing hes some way off showing much of this supposed talent. Yes he scored twice at the end of the season - which hopefully shows signs of life going into this season - but he came with a reputation and at this moment hes done nothing to increase his stock when hes been given the opportunity. He was far from mercurial for italy the other night.

I want to watch players help us compete now, not in 2-3 seasons when they decide its not so bad and they want to be here. Must be a reason he isnt getting played - we dont know the reason. We can only hazard a guess as mere mortals and form our own entitled, individual assessments. We dont pick the team do we, Carlo does - as did the managers before him - and Keans not been picked by any of them a great deal.

Anyway, im hopeful he puts a shift in this season and doesnt end up following in the footsteps of his fellow countryman, Balotelli, in a season or twos time - A talent but an inability to apply it due to a questionable (if indeed the case) attitude.

1: "He could end up costing us"

£50k a week and £22mil fee? We could take a profit on that now from Italy and even if we loaned him for 4 years we would still make a profit in loan fees.

2: "I want to watch players help us compete now not in 2-3 years"

Well there you go. Thats why Richarlison and DCL have been in the team. Youve answered your own questions.

The only reason for us to sell is if Ancelotti makes a call that hes not going to live up to his potential.

Otherwise, if Ancelotti gets him going then he could be a superstar.

Theres really no risk on the deal for us by keeping him another season.

I think he'll hit double figures but its a shame we dont have Europe so he could get more starts.

I always wonder why players fees are inflated.

Iwobi for example was £27mil rising to £35mil but posters call him a £35 or £40mil signing.

Likewise Kean was £22mil rising to £27mil.

No matter whether people love him or they dont surely just get the correct fees down.

Also, no idea why Kean wouldnt "cut it". At this moment no one knows and thats why he needs a second season.

His problem is that hes behind Richarlison and DCL who both hit double figures. The boy has to push one of them out.

£50k a week apparently which is tremendous. I think he could easily get a big jump on that if he went back to Italy...if anything id say taking that deal showed how 'Kean' he was lol

Joao Felix over £100mil as well. Players like Kean and Silva are signed to develop into world class players over a few seasons.

As you say, its the world class potential people are buying hoping that in a few seasons these guys will be amongst the worlds best...not in a years time.

1: "He could end up costing us"

£50k a week and £22mil fee? We could take a profit on that now from Italy and even if we loaned him for 4 years we would still make a profit in loan fees.

2: "I want to watch players help us compete now not in 2-3 years"

Well there you go. Thats why Richarlison and DCL have been in the team. Youve answered your own questions.

The only reason for us to sell is if Ancelotti makes a call that hes not going to live up to his potential.

Otherwise, if Ancelotti gets him going then he could be a superstar.

Theres really no risk on the deal for us by keeping him another season.

I think he'll hit double figures but its a shame we dont have Europe so he could get more starts.

I always put add ons, whether the player is good or bad, its just a top line, most add ons are only met if the player is a success or plays a lot, but like for me Rico will always be a 50m player. I doubt we ever pay 50m, but its just the way I do it.

And I suspect its the way the club does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.