Michael Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very pleasing to hear him signing new deal , cant understand why anyone would want him here at this stage of his career .

I guarentee if the news would've been we've signed him on a 2 year deal, there'd be very few eyes raised.

I know that for the couple of million we'd be giving Owen to sign, we'd be hard pushed to find a striker even close to his ability, let alone better.

Why is Owen's desire being called into question ?.

Rather have Beckford.....Words fail me !. He's not as good, but i'll be damned if he's not younger and readily available !

Owen's desire is being called into question because we remember his performances for Newcastle.

The fact is in two years at Man U his league stats are played 30, scored 5. And at Newcastle in four years, it was played 71, scored 26.

He hasn't been the player you think he is for a good while, he's been dogged by injuries, he's lost a lot of his pace and workrate. He's still a fine finisher but his overall game has suffered and given that with his wages and signing on fee he'd take a lot of our budget to get, we can't afford the risk. Especially since we already have Beckford, who's exactly the same type of player except younger, cheaper, fitter and likely to be available for more games.

Plus he doesn't fit into our team. What we need is either a lone striker or a partner for Beckford, Owen isn't either. He's a replacement. We buy him and we either play him by himself, which he isn't the player best suited for, or we have to buy a partner for him. In other words we're in exactly the same position as we're already in with Beckford only with less money. So why bother?

I'm gutted. I still think he looks dangerous everytime he comes on for United. Definatly still got goals in him.

I'm gutted. I still think he looks dangerous everytime he comes on for United. Definatly still got goals in him.

Of course he does, there's still some of the old Owen in there, and he was brilliant. He was always injured at Newcastle, but other than that spell on the sidelines on Tyneside, he's been very good everywhere else. This season he hasn't been injured, hes just not had the opportunities what with every player in front and behind him in the pecking order, banging them in !.

I like how you credit his league appearances as "Played 30 Scored 5". No mention that he's started in less than a third of those appearances. (Funny how you'll use that method for Owen, but its frowned upon when used in an attempt to highlight Rodwell's detractions)

He's been used as an impact player off the bench for United, and you just know he's always capable of getting you a goal, the fact Fergie had him on the bench ahead of the league's top scorer in the biggest game of the year says an awful lot. I don't care if you think he wouldn't fit into the system, for a player of Owen's calibre we'd do well to change the system. I'm not saying its the be all and end all that he's not coming, i just can't understand why anyone wouldn't want him here.

We don't have much to spend, and with the couple of million it would've cost to get him here on a free, i think it would've been a great deal for us. If you disagree thats fair enough, i anxiously await the excitement when we unveil a Bothroyd or McKail-Smith..

the fact Fergie had him on the bench ahead of the league's top scorer in the biggest game of the year says an awful lot.

Didn't bring him on though did he?

I don't care if you think he wouldn't fit into the system, for a player of Owen's calibre we'd do well to change the system.

I'm saying we can't afford to do that. We would have to buy midfielder players who are good at sitting deep and feeding intelligent balls past the last man, or we'd have to buy a big striker to knock down our crosses and do his donkey work for him. Buying a player who we would need to buy other players to get the most out of is stupid when you're broke.

If you disagree thats fair enough, i anxiously await the excitement when we unveil a Bothroyd or McKail-Smith..

Strawman.

I think the fact that Owen's willing to collect splinters by signing a new contract with united rather than go to a club were he will be the main man says alot for Owen's hunger, he has no right to criticise Capello for not picking him when he's willing to stay at a club we're he has three other world class strikers to compete with.

He is picking up the Prem medals he could never have won with Liverpool Ever. So far as his playing goes, fewer games than 5 years his senior Paul Scholes who has also just retired. If that ain't the writing on the wall then someone needs to leave the head of one of his horses in hs bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.