2017/18 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sussed it lads.

Ashley Williams is the source of all our defensive issues. All of Jagielka, Keane & Funes Mori have all suffered whilst playing alongside him.

No coincidence that Jagielka looks good next to Keane and vise versa. No coincidence that Funes Mori looked alright next to Jagielka either.

Agree, but we actually have a problem with both of them in my opinion in that they are firstly being asked to play on the left side of the centre back pairing and both have struggled. Secondly, the team is so poor ahead of them for movement and options meaning that they are then being expected by their teammates and the crowd to do something effective with the ball and both are massively limited on the ball.

As much as some people wrote him off, Funes Mori would actually bring improvement to the defence purely for the fact that he's left footed. If he wasn't injured and we had 3 at centre back with Keane, Jagielka or Williams, and Funes Mori on the left side of it, I think it would be far better balanced.

I don't think Jags struggles as a left-sider in fairness. Williams has never been a left-sider and I'm not sure why we have always played him there.

But yeh, we need an improvement on both! Not sure that's Mori, as he's brain-dead at times, though he can't have made us any worse considering the start of our season i suppose!

Sussed it lads.

Ashley Williams is the source of all our defensive issues. All of Jagielka, Keane & Funes Mori have all suffered whilst playing alongside him.

No coincidence that Jagielka looks good next to Keane and vise versa. No coincidence that Funes Mori looked alright next to Jagielka either.

In fairness, Jags and Keane played together v Atalanta...

It isn't though.

His distribution is good and he can bring the ball out of defence far better than someone like John Stones for example. For every 10 attempts Stones gives it away about 3/4 times to Keane's 1.

Keane is also a far better defender than Stones. He has suffered from a lack of confidence which has coincided with a poor run of results and performances from the team in general.

He strikes me as someone who will go on to be a very capable defender in this league, probably to the standard of a Phil Jagielka. Which I would take all day long at the moment.

At this moment in time, I would agree that he doesn't look like he has the attributes to be a John Terry/Rio Ferdinand/Vincent Kompany who were the very best in the league in their position but Everton aren't one of the best teams in the league which is why he is playing for us.
I've said since last season that I think Keane is a good player, and while I haven't been hugely impressed with him so far for us I'm sure he'll come good. I honestly don't think he's anywhere near as good as Stones though. If Keane improves and becomes substantially better in a number of areas he could be a Jagielka, if Stones becomes substantially better in a number of areas he could be the best in the world. His defensive failings are hugely exaggerated in my opinion.

Dreadful tonight. And stop with the crap about Williams or even Jags making him look bad. He's had several shockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.