2017/18 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own daft opinion is that Keane may be a good defender, but is too slow.

With him in the team, the defence, I would expect, will sit deep. This will limit their ability to close-down ('press') as a team, to counter-attack without leaving big gaps in defence/ between defence and midfield and finally defend against pace.

Sell and replace with the proceeds.

Defenders can get away with having no pace but they then have to be able to read the game to make up for it, sadly Keane has neither, and the other thing as well is, his heading is a tad gash.

He would have been a decent defender in the 90's 00's in the Pl when teams never really played a high line.

This generation of football of defences playing high lines he just looks out of place and you see his limitations in the modern game,Dyche is a throwback manager like BFS and they defend the 18 yard line,horrible to watch but it doesn't expose your defence much and limits your attack as the team is set up to deep,so your team scores less and concedes less.

They say the art of defending is dead these days in football as the modern defenders are so athletic and quick,fullbacks bomb forward like wingers and isolate CB's and the CB's these days cover more ground and get isolated having to cover ground fullbacks leave plus playing on the halfway line as a setting position your defenders need to be quick,with the age of the modern football and how the game has evolved the likes of keane are dinosaur relics from a bygone age in football,he'll look good playing for a team with the throwback defend the 18 yard line manager.

Shows how bad walsh was as a DoF that he bought a defender like keane for koeman who played a high line,shocking from walsh.

He didnt it happened to be over a few pints, so you can imagine the conversation. I suppose what i took it from it is that Burnley play with a very deep tight center half combo. When you look at mistakes Keane has made it has tended to be in positions of decision making and marking, i think the way we play makes him think far more. Hes great when defenders are in front of him but for me its when he has to stick or twist or players in behind he makes poor decisions. I dont think he i particularly slow if im honest, some of the best center half ever didnt have blinding pace, positioning and decision making can definitely compensate pace. Thats all very coachable.

If our defenders are all camped out on the halfway line and a ball is played over the top i just cant see him getting back against a quick forward.

Reactions: Tak

His problem isn't his pace. His problem seems to be that he is an absolute fanny which is obviously not ideal for a centre back.
Again, he has plenty of pace. He’s really fast unless Burnley was making up sprinting times. You can see it on longer sprints, he’s straight ahead fast. Unfortunately, being good at 40 yard sprints doesn’t help when you are getting turned by mediocre strikers. He lacks agility and balance.

He would have been a decent defender in the 90's 00's in the Pl when teams never really played a high line.

This generation of football of defences playing high lines he just looks out of place and you see his limitations in the modern game,Dyche is a throwback manager like BFS and they defend the 18 yard line,horrible to watch but it doesn't expose your defence much and limits your attack as the team is set up to deep,so your team scores less and concedes less.

They say the art of defending is dead these days in football as the modern defenders are so athletic and quick,fullbacks bomb forward like wingers and isolate CB's and the CB's these days cover more ground and get isolated having to cover ground fullbacks leave plus playing on the halfway line as a setting position your defenders need to be quick,with the age of the modern football and how the game has evolved the likes of keane are dinosaur relics from a bygone age in football,he'll look good playing for a team with the throwback defend the 18 yard line manager.

Shows how bad walsh was as a DoF that he bought a defender like keane for koeman who played a high line,shocking from walsh.
Yes, spot on. It is nice to have him defending set pieces and winning stuff in the air, but you need great athletes in the back that ALSO can anticipate plays and move the ball. There’s a reason center backs are so expensive now. They have to make plays in space I order to fuel any attack. They will get exposed.

Wonder if someone would take him off our hands for £20 million?

Coleman ??? ??? ???

Gana ???

Walcott Siggurdsson ???

???

Realistically we need 6 additions this summer to have us push on.

Who I would want:

CB:?
CB: ?
LB: Rose
CDM: ?
LM: Lozano
ST: Rashford/Lacazette

Havent a clue who I would look for at CB/CDM, will leave that to Brands.

I'd keep him simply because of his age and what we paid for him plus you can't change a whole squad in one summer. He started well and I do think the injury and low confidence hit him plus the inconsistent back line but his lack of pace and defensive nouse has shocked me for a thirty million pound player. Give him till Christmas as a rotation option if he's still not doing it move him on. We need at least one dominant athletic CB and use Keane/Holgate in the other slot. And or buy a player who can play left sided CB/LB like Lescott could.

Wonder if someone would take him off our hands for £20 million?

Coleman ??? ??? ???

Gana ???

Walcott Siggurdsson ???

???

Realistically we need 6 additions this summer to have us push on.

Who I would want:

CB:?
CB: ?
LB: Rose
CDM: ?
LM: Lozano
ST: Rashford/Lacazette

Havent a clue who I would look for at CB/CDM, will leave that to Brands.

I'd keep him simply because of his age and what we paid for him plus you can't change a whole squad in one summer. He started well and I do think the injury and low confidence hit him plus the inconsistent back line but his lack of pace and defensive nouse has shocked me for a thirty million pound player. Give him till Christmas as a rotation option if he's still not doing it move him on. We need at least one dominant athletic CB and use Keane/Holgate in the other slot. And or buy a player who can play left sided CB/LB like Lescott could.

For me, only Coleman and Holgate are starters so thats the right half of the starting defence sorted.

As for Keane its simple, either hes cover for Holgate or hes sold...and the decision needs to be made asap as defence is key.

Tend to agree but with Williams and probably Mori leaving, Jags not getting any younger and the age of our squad not sure we can discard him so quickly. But yes we probably need two new CBs in the next few windows.

Personally I think hes one of our worst signings,he is slow and mentally & physically weak. The way he wanted to get of that pitch away to Southampton cant be forgotten.

Who would you suggest is a great example of a top CB?

Oh, wouldn't you know it.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...nst-liverpool-fc.40028/page-6680#post-5730778

VVD would improve anyone's defence,he's a class act,quick,tall,good on the ball and reads the game well and can play the high line that they play.
Their defence is very Jekyll and Hyde,they don't concede much in the bigger games but then make defensive silly mistakes against the lesser teams.

If they sign him and Lemar to go with Keita they have a pretty good spine of a team for the next 5 years,i'm guessing next summer they will target a top goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.