2022/23 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an ideal world we keep Tarkowski Coady and one of Holgate/Mykolenko in a abck three fit all season. Branthwaite and Godfrey return next season, and we can punt Keane far far away.
I think this will eventually be the outcome. injuries mean he gets another year here. hopefully with much less playing time.

i think i am the only one who thinks he is ok for us. Dont sell as he is a solid squad player

Solid squad player who realistically is currently 6th choice but on top wages around 90k pw when we seem to be trying to institute some kind of wage structure back at the club...

On loan they can get f'd he's a decent cb - for a fee then yup I'd sell him for anything around 10-15m like a shot (and honestly that's a fair reflection of what he's worth imo)

He's a player that can do a job.

I happen to think he'd look fine alongside one or both of Tarkowski or Coady in defence, as he's generally been ok alongside Mina in one of his fleeting appearances for us.

But the two new guys have obviously established themselves as starters, as now has Holgate given our Colombian's absence.

Godfrey was also selected above Keane, but seeing as he'll be out for ages, and Mina can't stay fit, I don't think we can let Keane go unless a realistic bid comes in - you can't have the same players play 90 minutes of every game and expect their levels to stay the same, and our luck being what it is, Tarkowski will likely break his leg within the next fortnight and that means Keane is straight back in the side.

Loan is obviously a big no without an obligation buy for market rate, which I'd suggest is between £15-20m.

If he was sold, you'd just be keeping your fingers crossed that Mina can return within the next month or so and that no further injuries are picked up. Coleman I'm sure could be used in an emergency in a back three, as well.

If there was a transfer fee dangled in front of us then we may be tempted.

I think we may have hoped to sell Mina but I don't think that is possible now because of his injury.we can keep Mina as cover if he ever gets fit and Coleman and Mykolenko could fill in at centre half if we had injuries.

I don't think the manager wants to sell him but Keane is a squad player and may relish a new opportunity.

However, him leaving is unlikely.

If it were not for the injuries to Godfrey and Mina then we would certainly be shedding a centre back in this window.

Even without the 2 injured we currently have 5 fit centre backs in Coady, Tarkowski, Keane, Holgate and Welsh.

Coleman can play in a 3.

+ We have a couple of really good young centre backs out on loan.

There’s a risk there but it is tempting to move one out.

If it were not for the injuries to Godfrey and Mina then we would certainly be shedding a centre back in this window.

Even without the 2 injured we currently have 5 fit centre backs in Coady, Tarkowski, Keane, Holgate and Welsh.

Coleman can play in a 3.

+ We have a couple of really good young centre backs out on loan.

There’s a risk there but it is tempting to move one out.
Don't forget Mykolenko can play Centre back as he has done for Ukraine.

The best thing for the club would be to keep him, even if he is now 6th choice centre back, given the injuries

The best thing for Keane himself however would surely be to leave as he'll be on the bench a lot if new injuries don't come and it feels like a change of scene could do him the world of good

He has the makings of a good player and was perhaps seen as the better player alongside Tarkowski at Burnley. His confidence seems shot though and its sad to see. He did talk about struggling with mental health a year or 2 ago. Think a change of scene would be good for him

Gets a hard time. Last season I think any centre back having to play next to Godfrey or Holgate with no protection from midfield would struggle. He’s been fine even good when he played alongside Zouma or Mina with semi competent midfield in front of him.

Looks like he’s yesterday’s man though. Think we’d have sold Mina but for the injury. As it is we’ll prob lose them both next summer. In the meantime, good backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.