2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
…Zouma did so much to counter his weakness, particularly when the ball went beyond Keane & he was out of the game. Saying that, I suppose that’s what a partnership is about.
yeah agreed but maybe that is what he has been missing and a quality partner could give him that confidence again. Saying that if West Ham to make a bid i think he may be sold. Moyes will probably turn him into decent defender and that partnership with Zouma may work well again.

Seriously???

100% mate - Keanes useful in certain games where we need to sit deep and win headers and for that its why he should be a squad player going forward.

Games against the top teams when we need 10 behind the ball, games against opposition with big physical units like WHU with players like Antonio, Soucek, Zouma who thrive off set pieces.

Playing Godfrey or Holgate in those games see's us get done at the back -- QPR done nothing but lump balls into Charlie Austin all night who bullied the pair of them just by winning simple headers.

Keanes biggest issue is playing more expansive football which is why long term I would rather him relegated to the bench most weeks but I would certainly keep him around the place.

I just see no benefit with Holgate who is an actual Championship CB.

Godfrey maybe given more time as COVID certainly hit him hard last season but his lack of ability in the air is a big worry for me.

100% mate - Keanes useful in certain games where we need to sit deep and win headers and for that its why he should be a squad player going forward.

Games against the top teams when we need 10 behind the ball, games against opposition with big physical units like WHU with players like Antonio, Soucek, Zouma who thrive off set pieces.

Playing Godfrey or Holgate in those games see's us get done at the back -- QPR done nothing but lump balls into Charlie Austin all night who bullied the pair of them just by winning simple headers.

Keanes biggest issue is playing more expansive football which is why long term I would rather him relegated to the bench most weeks but I would certainly keep him around the place.

Godfrey maybe given more time as COVID certainly hit him hard last season but his lack of ability in the air is a big worry for me.
No other team carries 1st XI players that might be useful in certain situations though... That's always been our problem. Limited players that are good at one thing and average to bad at the others. We need more rounded players throughout the team.

yeah agreed but maybe that is what he has been missing and a quality partner could give him that confidence again. Saying that if West Ham to make a bid i think he may be sold. Moyes will probably turn him into decent defender and that partnership with Zouma may work well again.
I hadn't considered the Zouma partnership. I personally thought Keane was at his best next to Zouma. As someone has already mentioned, his strengths complimented Keane's and Zouma's speed of recovery save MK from himself a lot of the time.
Might be an inspired signing by Dithering Davey

No other team carries 1st XI players that might be useful in certain situations though... That's always been our problem. Limited players that are good at one thing and average to bad at the others. We need more rounded players throughout the team.

But its naive to think a midtable team without europe like us can afford to keep 4-5 good CB's happy in a squad.

Realistically we need 2x good starting CB's who can keep fit most weeks, 1x half decent option off the bench to feature in sporadic games (Keane) and 1x prospect like Branthwaite or a Colwill.

Mina and Holgate would be the two to leave if I was Thelwell/Frankel the former who's never fit and the latter who's only ever looked good in the Championship at WBA.

I hadn't considered the Zouma partnership. I personally thought Keane was at his best next to Zouma. As someone has already mentioned, his strengths complimented Keane's and Zouma's speed of recovery save MK from himself a lot of the time.
Might be an inspired signing by Dithering Davey
I always thought it was Mina and Zouma who had the good spell together.

If we get a good fee we should take it, but I also get your point and it would be a worry if he and Mina Go and Tarkowski got injured and we were left with Godfrey and holgate, both not dominant in the air. And if we signed the kid from Chelsea who’s 6”2 you can’t expect a 19yr old with limited experience to be your dominant CB.

I’d sell Keane and holgate and keep Mina for a the last year of his deal and sign the Chelsea kid, Sorted

If we get a good fee we should take it, but I also get your point and it would be a worry if he and Mina Go and Tarkowski got injured and we were left with Godfrey and holgate, both not dominant in the air. And if we signed the kid from Chelsea who’s 6”2 you can’t expect a 19yr old with limited experience to be your dominant CB.

I’d sell Keane and holgate and keep Mina for a the last year of his deal and sign the Chelsea kid, Sorted

I'd sell all 3 and invest in another centre back who is fast and has experience. We need the money (Mina) and we can't carry liabilities (Keane) or players who promise to be good but never deliver (Holgate) any more.

would leave us with 4 first team centre backs. (at least) one of which can play at fullback

I don't think he's good enough as a starting CB for us but he's certainly okay as being a squad player when needed, barely gets injured and can chip in with a few goals.

People hate on him because he's a tugboat ultimately whereas Holgate and Godfrey give off the impression of being half decent because they have a bit of recovery pace yet Godfrey cant win a header and Holgate has never had a good run of games.

I would happily offload Holgate or Godfrey way before Keane for the very reason of next to a leader like Mina Keane isn't that bad - Godfrey and Holgate stink the gaff out regardless although I blame COVID to an extent with Godfrey.

This is totally wrong and downright lazy.

Everton have had plenty of 'tugboat' type centre backs who all had two/three attributes

Bravery + Positioning / Anticipation.

We have a Pistone with nothing between the ears as he takes 3 steps forward.

If, and it is a mighty if, West Ham are willing to give us £20 million for Keane I would be willing to nip over from Northern Ireland and run him down the road myself. While Tarkowski is an upgrade on what we have he is by no means quick. We now need some pace to cover for him, not that he gets caught out that often but then he wasn't playing for us. Playing Keane and Tarkowski wouldn't be my choice. If he is not going to play on a regular basis we need to move him on, he is to expensive to be a bench warmer. Mina looks like he will be moving on so we are down to Holgate, Godfrey and Braithweight. We don't know if Frank is going to go with 3 centre halves next season or a flat back four. If it is a four then I would prefer Godfrey, I think Tarkowski's experience could benefit him greatly. We aren't going to sort out all our issues in one window, in my opinion Tarkowski is the first step in sorting out the defence, that is to be welcomed. I would like to see Frank turning to midfield now, one quick defensive mid and one creative mid could see a significant improvement for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.