2020/21 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
we arent palace, we unfortunately have plenty of players to field a first 11 (mostly crap, keane included).
just because he signed a new contract doesnt mean he can't be sold, the problem is finding a sucker.
He is not going anywhere, whether you like it or not. If they were selling him he wouldn’t have been given a new contract.

He is not going anywhere, whether you like it or not. If they were selling him he wouldn’t have been given a new contract.

I don't expect he'll be sold this summer unfortunately, hopefully the new manager is half sensible and makes him a back up so he'll look to move on in 2022

I don't expect he'll be sold this summer unfortunately, hopefully the new manager is half sensible and makes him a back up so he'll look to move on in 2022
In the end, our main priorities haven’t changed. We still need RB, RW, CM and CF.

Maybe another player if James leaves.

I think that lot will more than eat the transfer budget.

For me he is good in a defensive team but if we are ever going to kick on and become proper challengers we need better. He will lose confidence if he gets dropped out the team so I think we should be prepared to listen to reasonable offers for him. I thought he turned a corner but ultimately the confidence based errors are still in there. Also he can only play CB so he's not really useful as a squad player.

For me he is good in a defensive team but if we are ever going to kick on and become proper challengers we need better. He will lose confidence if he gets dropped out the team so I think we should be prepared to listen to reasonable offers for him. I thought he turned a corner but ultimately the confidence based errors are still in there. Also he can only play CB so he's not really useful as a squad player.
You could put this post on any player thread we have in the whole squad, every single one, we need better in every slot we have, however CB is one place we dont have to worry about, since we have 3 players who can play there and Holgate as back up. If we do any CB business in the summer Brands is mad, unless of course we get a good offer for Mina, but i cant see that with his injury worry.

Keane signed a new contract when he had 2 years left -- just as Mina has.

All about preserving the investment.

If we bring in a manager who wants to play on the front foot / doesnt want to play deep / wants composed confident defenders...

...hes gone.

Thats a bewildering statement. How anyone can "learn from and improve" playing with a centre back who falls apart through a lack of confidence and is a bog standard defender is beyond me.

Godfrey is made for playing a higher line, Keane is built to play very deep.

They dont complement one another.

Initially Mina and Holgate were first choice partnership before injuries.

Then Holgate was shoehorned into right back when he came back with no preseason.

We saw Ancelotti go incredibly deep to get the best out of Keane...then he was dropped by both England and Ancelotti and lost all confidence culminating in his display against City.

If a new manager comes in and makes Keane a fixture at the back theres really no point hoping for a top 6 finish.
Keane also played under Carlo last season.

Defence was not our biggest problem last season it was the lack of pace offensively and lack of creativity when JR was injured

You could put this post on any player thread we have in the whole squad, every single one, we need better in every slot we have, however CB is one place we dont have to worry about, since we have 3 players who can play there and Holgate as back up. If we do any CB business in the summer Brands is mad, unless of course we get a good offer for Mina, but i cant see that with his injury worry.

Keane is like Sigurdsson good in a specific system but otherwise he doesn't work. If you sit deep he's fine but you would never want to play a high line with him in your team. We need a quicker CB to play alongside either Godfrey or Mina. Holgate is a useful 4th choice as he can fill in other positions and imagine after last season will be just that. Keane will lose confidence if he's not a starter and if we keep the 4 my partnership would be Godfrey and Mina and if we want to go 3 at the back it wouldn't suit Keane.

Keane is like Sigurdsson good in a specific system but otherwise he doesn't work. If you sit deep he's fine but you would never want to play a high line with him in your team. We need a quicker CB to play alongside either Godfrey or Mina. Holgate is a useful 4th choice as he can fill in other positions and imagine after last season will be just that. Keane will lose confidence if he's not a starter and if we keep the 4 my partnership would be Godfrey and Mina and if we want to go 3 at the back it wouldn't suit Keane.
When you say "Keane is like Sigurdsson good in a specific system but otherwise he doesn't work" your advocating playing a system that dosent suit are players, trick is to play one that will.
Personly i think we have a really unbalanced squad, one system suits some but not others, i think the manager turn over hasnt helped as we could play starting 11 with players bought by about 4 different managers, which is crazy

When you say "Keane is like Sigurdsson good in a specific system but otherwise he doesn't work" your advocating playing a system that dosent suit are players, trick is to play one that will.
Personly i think we have a really unbalanced squad, one system suits some but not others, i think the manager turn over hasnt helped as we could play starting 11 with players bought by about 4 different managers, which is crazy

4-3-3 with the team pushed on probably suits more of our players. Sigurdsson only suits a 4-2-3-1 and we've tried that system to death. Keane suits a deep defence and that leaves our team to spread out. I think we need to see who the new manager is but personally I don't think we'll go forward with either of these players in the team.

Keane signed a new contract when he had 2 years left -- just as Mina has.

All about preserving the investment.

If we bring in a manager who wants to play on the front foot / doesnt want to play deep / wants composed confident defenders...

...hes gone.

Thats a bewildering statement. How anyone can "learn from and improve" playing with a centre back who falls apart through a lack of confidence and is a bog standard defender is beyond me.

Godfrey is made for playing a higher line, Keane is built to play very deep.

They dont complement one another.

Initially Mina and Holgate were first choice partnership before injuries.

Then Holgate was shoehorned into right back when he came back with no preseason.

We saw Ancelotti go incredibly deep to get the best out of Keane...then he was dropped by both England and Ancelotti and lost all confidence culminating in his display against City.

If a new manager comes in and makes Keane a fixture at the back theres really no point hoping for a top 6 finish.
I admire your enthusiasm, breadth of knowledge (in identifying players world-wide) and fondness for stats, Zat. That said, aspects of the game perhaps are still beyond you?

I don’t doubt for a second that Southgate would include Keane in the blink of an eye, but unfortunately for Keane, Southgate’s weakness as a ‘Yes Man’ (and hence his suitability for the post) precludes it.

Godfrey’s a strange one: natural athlete devoted to his career, but he isn’t a natural defender nor is he accomplished in possession. However, his self-discipline, unassuming character and strength make him an ideal candidate for further coaching, so perhaps one to stick with. For now.

Status
Not open for further replies.