2019/20 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve yet to see anything to change my mind. He’s an appalling footballer.

Used this comparison before; Steve Bruce wasn’t the most mobile either, but he read the game very well, positioned himself in a manner that meant he wouldn’t get exposed for pace too often...the 4-0 massacre that Romário and Stoichkov handed out when Barca hammered United at the Nou Camp was one of those rare exceptions when Bruce was taken to the cleaners, with Keane I see it exposed constantly, and not by the calibre of Romário and co.

A team that sits deep with two banks of four (Burnley) covers up much of Keane’s failings. All he had to do there was get on the end of incoming crosses, or make hoofed clearances upfield. It’s basic, bottom of the table stuff. A team that pushes further up, leaving space in behind, he’s lost. Positionally much more is required, and he falls short. He’s statuesque too...being flat footed means players can cut inside him with ease.

Can you cut and paste that last paragraph mate and send it to the club, as you`ve summed up Michael Keane the footballer in three sentences.

Keane is a decent PL center back. But much like everyone on that Sam team, they eventually need replaced.
Yeah my grand-mother is a decent center -back .She is even faster then Michael. Her heading ability is world class compared to Keane Shame she died 20 years ago,

Im not going to stress to much about a bad game but what really bugged me was the goal where their midfielder just punched the ball between all 5 of our players since we were all flatfooted. Looked as if we were blind folded and didn't feel like marking.

For the 100th time, Michael Keane IS fast.
He may be fast on paper, unfortunately he plays on a pitch. When somebody is as slow on the turn as Keane it really doesn’t matter if he can run fast or not. Football is all about speed over 10 yards or so, if, like Keane you play as a central defender, the ball over the top means you will need to turn and match an attacker who is running straight at the goal. If you turn as slowly as Keane it doesn’t matter if you are Usain Bolt, you will get done for pace over and over again.

He may be fast on paper, unfortunately he plays on a pitch. When somebody is as slow on the turn as Keane it really doesn’t matter if he can run fast or not. Football is all about speed over 10 yards or so, if, like Keane you play as a central defender, the ball over the top means you will need to turn and match an attacker who is running straight at the goal. If you turn as slowly as Keane it doesn’t matter if you are Usain Bolt, you will get done for pace over and over again.

100% and thus is what happens game after game with Terry Tugboat. To make it even worse it happens during moments where he isn't switched on so it looks even worse than it should.

Agreed. Positioning and anticipation much more important than pace for a CB, too. Not sure how much of that he has, either.

Although he did show a bit of that pace running down King at one point, which was helpful.

I think with Keane there is a lot of knee-jerk on here. Yes Keane had a bad game on Sunday. But he has been solid for the past 6 months. You look at the top 6, Keane would get into the Arsenal and Chelsea teams, and potentially United's alongside Maguire. He is the least of our worries at the moment, when we don't have any idea of how to create chances at the other end.

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.