2019/20 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview with him in Overpriced Subscription Service as he talks about his mental health.

Now...very serious subject and hope he's getting the help he needs.

But in terms of him as a player, you can understand why he won't be able to perform at the top top level
Have to applaud him for being brave enough to speak out and discuss the subject as obviously many players would be too scared to talk about that kind of thing in public. However on the other hand you can imagine clubs reading into his struggle and thinking "well we're not going to go anywhere near him!". He'll be stuck with us! lol

Have to applaud him for being brave enough to speak out and discuss the subject as obviously many players would be too scared to talk about that kind of thing in public. However on the other hand you can imagine clubs reading into his struggle and thinking "well we're not going to go anywhere near him!". He'll be stuck with us! lol

Exactly.

Cant knock him and it's an important issue.

But then you have to look at the bigger picture

Anonymous -5 Points they aren't going to make a decision based on his mental health.
At least be brave enough to leave your name your absolute coward - unreal! lol

As anybody who thinks a club isn't going to make a decision based on a player's mental health needs their own head checking, Christ almighty, how thick do you need to be?

At least be brave enough to leave your name your absolute coward - unreal! lol

As anybody who thinks a club isn't going to make a decision based on a player's mental health needs their own head checking, Christ almighty, how thick do you need to be?
AnyValidAmericancrayfish-max-1mb.gif

Interview with him in Overpriced Subscription Service as he talks about his mental health.

Now...very serious subject and hope he's getting the help he needs.

But in terms of him as a player, you can understand why he won't be able to perform at the top top level

That sort of comment shows how far Mental health is in the dark ages, despite the various let's talk about campaigns

Michael Phelps is on record going into 2012 Olympics with what he describes close clinical depression...

I dare say there are many many more.

However, personaly as someone who works in mental health, overwhelmingly sharing such information has poor outcomes.

That sort of comment shows how far Mental health is in the dark ages, despite the various let's talk about campaigns

Michael Phelps is on record going into 2012 Olympics with what he describes close clinical depression...

I dare say there are many many more.

However, personaly as someone who works in mental health, overwhelmingly sharing such information has poor outcomes.

I disagree. My comment was something that needs to be taken within context of the profession rather than a blanket approach.

The idea to me of talking about these things means you have to be honest and open. You can't skirt around the problem or use kid gloves because more times than not the root stems from the pressure of reaching or not certain self goals and the knock on effect of that. Am I good enough? Can I keep this level? How do people think about me? Etc etc

You mention Phelps...he was at the pinnacle, the greatest. So with that comes pressure and the self doubt - I'm older, I've been the best, what if I don't reach that etc etc. It's not surprising and is rife in every profession.

In terms of a footballer...how many times how you heard fans/pundits say "mentally hes not a top player" or a team doesn't have a "winning mentality". These things are all hand in hand as a team is a team and not one player.

So what do you do as a manager or football owner when one of your players can't get to the level you need him at due to his mental health? In fact replace mental health with "injury" cos technically they can be viewed the same. Both effect performance, both need treatment. Yet a players failings due to injury can be brushed off but if it's mental it's a taboo subject.

But with both, there's a chance you can get through it. It's not the players fault. There's hope.

It's unfair, it's unjust, its a difficult subject but if you feel that kind discussion is stuck in the "dark ages" then I don't find that progressive in dealing with mental health.

He is the one player I desperately wanted to see succeed here.

I know someone who knows him from his school days, and he speaks really highly of him. He is an intelligent and sensitive lad. That last part though can destroy you if things don't go smoothly. Perhaps this period of putting sport into perspective against the horrors of this virus, might help him to evaluate what is important and blessed in life.

He is a very good footballer and has in glimpses looked the part for us. I wish him success and happiness when life returns to a form of normal.

Well, at least the support is there for Keane from his family, Club, and his mates to help him with his mental health issues. Hopefully, things will work out for him and he can keep his life and career on track.

"It is difficult sometimes because people don't know what you might be going through off the pitch, they judge you like you are 100% and that's not always the case".

"My team-mates were brilliant with me and said 'you need to speak to someone and clear your head' to try and reboot and refresh and go again".

"I went round to my family's house and got really upset and told them I was struggling. And that is the last time I really remember crying. I could see how upset and devastated they were. They wanted to do everything they could to get me feeling good again."

I'm guessing his motivation for speaking publicly is to help others who are struggling, which is great. But if I'm the opposition I'm going to target him to see if there's a weakness. If I'm thinking of buying, I'm thinking twice. Maybe he would have been better off speaking up at the end of his career?

.....after speaking with somebody associated with our club, I mentioned on here a few years ago how they were trying to support his mental health issues. Despite all the wealth and fame, football is like any occupation, those involved are not immune to this illness.

He’s crap and a bit of a fanny on the pitch, sell
We have to sell him, he is a big fanny along with about 5 others in the squad who need selling, that's not counting the other absolute tosh we have out on loan and rotting away at finch farm. Going to be harder for us to get rid of these players than it is for us to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.