2019/20 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
That little period where they gave koeman an open cheque book and he went out and seemed to just buy players with absolute zero thought. Buying players in positions already covered and leaving other positions with nothing. And as for keane. I dont scout. I dont get paid to scout. But keane played behind a wall of midfielders at burnley. They camped on their 18 yard line with two banks of four. Did koeman and walsh take any of this into consideration when shelling out 30m? Because we were about to expose him into a different style and he's basicaly been found out. Another generous donation to a club from Everton.
Nail on head. Great post

That little period where they gave koeman an open cheque book and he went out and seemed to just buy players with absolute zero thought. Buying players in positions already covered and leaving other positions with nothing. And as for keane. I dont scout. I dont get paid to scout. But keane played behind a wall of midfielders at burnley. They camped on their 18 yard line with two banks of four. Did koeman and walsh take any of this into consideration when shelling out 30m? Because we were about to expose him into a different style and he's basicaly been found out. Another generous donation to a club from Everton.
Been saying precisely the same since about four games into his time here. I didn’t focus on any individual Burnley player, but it was obvious how they played (the two deep banks of four as you mentioned). Take a player who lacks mobility out of this safe environment and unless they have a football brain (like Steve Bruce) they will get rinsed by quick opponents.

It was horrible scouting. They probably looked at his defensive stats where he had something like the most clearances in the league...but when you play in a team with a packed defensive set up, just clearing stuff away is straightforward stuff. He was never going to get exposed by anyone with pace there as he was close to his own goal (so players couldn’t get in behind him), and just infront of him he had teammates blocking runs off from the opposition. The opposition was then forced to swing in crosses, meaning more basic clearances for him to make, bumping up his clearance stats in the process. And when you watch Burnley these aren’t (weren’t) cultured clearances...as in header to a teammate, or a pass upfield...it’s whack it into row z stuff. They have such low possession stats, all they have to do is the basics. A problem for any player leaving Burnley is much more is required, and often they can’t do more.

He's so limited.

A flat four compressed in the box, he's class - but whenever tasked with pushing up to support the attack his limitations become obvious.

Would do wonders at a struggling club, but not at a club like Everton.

Keane at incoming cross

Also Keane after a ball in behind

GuAf.gif

He's so limited.

A flat four compressed in the box, he's class - but whenever tasked with pushing up to support the attack his limitations become obvious.

Would do wonders at a struggling club, but not at a club like Everton.
I’m not to sure any of the five struggling clubs underneath us would want him!

Michael was signed on a five year deal which lasts until the summer of 2022. We paid £25M for him which could rise to £30M depending on how he performs. The good news is it is very doubtful we will have to pay any of the £5M performance allowance, the bad news is we are stuck with him for another two and a half seasons because no other club will offer Michael better terms than he is getting with us. Can’t we sue the silly so and so who offered him these fabulous wages in the first place.

We probably should have sold in the summer when his stock was high. However if we get another CB and CM in he will be 4th choice and hopefully won't play many more games. If someone with a backs to the wall style of play needs a defender you never know we might get some money back. Mark under Koeman/Walsh worst summer ever. Its like they wanted to mess the club up.

Michael was signed on a five year deal which lasts until the summer of 2022. We paid £25M for him which could rise to £30M depending on how he performs. The good news is it is very doubtful we will have to pay any of the £5M performance allowance, the bad news is we are stuck with him for another two and a half seasons because no other club will offer Michael better terms than he is getting with us. Can’t we sue the silly so and so who offered him these fabulous wages in the first place.

We would need half that amount to break even on the deal...so £12.5mil - £15mil.

I think a side like Newcastle or Palace would welcome him.

Status
Not open for further replies.