2018/19 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard interview with him on the radio live from the training camp.
Interesting hear him talk about the Declan Rice situation and his own similar situation a few years back.
He also basically said he used Ireland himself as a stepping stone as he wasn't good enough to play for England.

Rather controversial.

Interesting hear him talk about the Declan Rice situation and his own similar situation a few years back.
He also basically said he used Ireland himself as a stepping stone as he wasn't good enough to play for England.

Rather controversial.

I really hope he gets a start, he deserves it.

Rather controversial.
In the past if you played underage for a country you couldn't swap it was Tim Cahill that challenged that rule in court so he could swap from Samoa to Australia. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the...ernational-allegiances-4492210-Feb2019/?amp=1

You are right that the knee jerking with Keane is unhelpful. I probably share the view that many have on here he will never be a top centre half as he's just not comfortable enough high up the pitch. The caveat to that though is we are a long long way off being a top team. His type of defending, winning tackles, headers, blocks etc will do for the foreseeable period.

We need to remember Moyes kept Stubbs and Weir for the bets part of 3-4 years on taking over. Neither would have gotten into his later teams, but provided a stable base for us to work from. Thats how I see Keane.

I also think he has improved a fair amount this season. You don't become a different player but what you can do is improve on your strengths.

He's had 2 years here now and I think he will improve further in his third year and hopefully start showing some leadership. IF/when we ever get to the top 6 then we have a different conversation.
I think Alan Stubbs was as slow as Keane but read the game much quicker and anticipated the moves of the opposition a lot better than Keane ever does, he also used the space in front of him, drawing men out before making his passes, Keane is like a lighthouse hardly moving to utilise the sometimes five and ten yards space available to him, and don’t mention his head work in both area’s of the field, got a head like a fifty pence piece, mind you I believe he’s handy around the house.

He's earned a look in - been better recently so worth a shot at the national team.

Southgate must have sufficient trust.
Or insufficient replacements
iirc, Sheedy played for Wales at a lower level being born in Bluith Wells. Which pre dates Cahill.
De Stefano played for 3 countries...just say in like

Status
Not open for further replies.