2018/19 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding MK having a mistake in him every game, I think that pretty much every player in his position in every team has that. Hes still young and can improve. He plays nearly every game so Silva clearly sees something in him.

Happens every time. Clean sheet means all the defenders were superb, even when they were embarrassingly bad for half the game, to the point that I was wondering if the centre halves had been drugged.
I thought our defence was good in the first half. They managed to keep it scoreless even though we were getting battered all over the pitch.

Keane's undoubtedly made significant improvements upon his (fairly dire) performances last season, but sadly my heart is always placed firmly in my mouth when the ball is rolled out to him (even though his pass completion is good), or when he's forced to deal with a hanging ball with opposition forwards bearing down on him, or when someone squares him up and knocks it past him effortlessly on the counter whilst he's trying to control his long, cumbersome limbs.
Moreover, he's clearly a confidence player, which is not particularly ideal for a position that should be the foundation and backbone of the team imo.

Even when they were letting people walk past them in the box and get shots away? Interesting.
You do realise the quality of player "walking past them" ?
Hazard is probably one of the top five players in the world. Pedro, Higuain not exactly poor players either and that is not to even mention Kante.

We were playing a team filled with great players and we were getting completely overrun in midfield..which was the problem. It was recognised at half time by Tim Cahill who was suggesting that the midfield set up needed to be changed.

You do realise the quality of player "walking past them" ?
Hazard is probably one of the top five players in the world. Pedro, Higuain not exactly poor players either and that is not to even mention Kante.

We were playing a team filled with great players and we were getting completely overrun in midfield..which was the problem. It was recognised at half time by Tim Cahill who was suggesting that the midfield set up needed to be changed.
What's that got to do with anything? Yes they were playing against good players, but it's difficult to say they've done well when those good players get the better of them time and time again. These are Premier League players we're talking about, internationals earning £100k a week, they're not conference players where you say well done for having a go.

The midfield was being overrun but the defence, particularly Keane, was poor. They improved in the second half and we won, which is the important thing. There's no harm in acknowledging that we rode our luck and on another day could have been buried by half time. It's by doing that that you can get an idea of where we're actually up to, and have a realistic idea of what to expect in future. There's loads of fans who go way over the top when we win/keep a clean sheet and then lurch the other way when we lose the next game/concede a couple, it's not helpful.

What's that got to do with anything? Yes they were playing against good players, but it's difficult to say they've done well when those good players get the better of them time and time again. These are Premier League players we're talking about, internationals earning £100k a week, they're not conference players where you say well done for having a go.

The midfield was being overrun but the defence, particularly Keane, was poor. They improved in the second half and we won, which is the important thing. There's no harm in acknowledging that we rode our luck and on another day could have been buried by half time. It's by doing that that you can get an idea of where we're actually up to, and have a realistic idea of what to expect in future. There's loads of fans who go way over the top when we win/keep a clean sheet and then lurch the other way when we lose the next game/concede a couple, it's not helpful.

You are right that the knee jerking with Keane is unhelpful. I probably share the view that many have on here he will never be a top centre half as he's just not comfortable enough high up the pitch. The caveat to that though is we are a long long way off being a top team. His type of defending, winning tackles, headers, blocks etc will do for the foreseeable period.

We need to remember Moyes kept Stubbs and Weir for the bets part of 3-4 years on taking over. Neither would have gotten into his later teams, but provided a stable base for us to work from. Thats how I see Keane.

I also think he has improved a fair amount this season. You don't become a different player but what you can do is improve on your strengths.

He's had 2 years here now and I think he will improve further in his third year and hopefully start showing some leadership. IF/when we ever get to the top 6 then we have a different conversation.

Hes so easily cut out in the box by forwards simply turning in past him...the Royal Iris could turn quicker than him sometimes. I also worry about him in the air as he frequently mistimes his jump in the box so the balls already gone past him...fatal when we have a keeper who likes to stay on his line. I did think though yesterday that he made some good blocks and clearances when Chelsea were smothering us in the 1st half. Guess Im just thankful for small mercies... like most long in the tooth Evertonians !!

You are right that the knee jerking with Keane is unhelpful. I probably share the view that many have on here he will never be a top centre half as he's just not comfortable enough high up the pitch. The caveat to that though is we are a long long way off being a top team. His type of defending, winning tackles, headers, blocks etc will do for the foreseeable period.

We need to remember Moyes kept Stubbs and Weir for the bets part of 3-4 years on taking over. Neither would have gotten into his later teams, but provided a stable base for us to work from. Thats how I see Keane.

I also think he has improved a fair amount this season. You don't become a different player but what you can do is improve on your strengths.

He's had 2 years here now and I think he will improve further in his third year and hopefully start showing some leadership. IF/when we ever get to the top 6 then we have a different conversation.
He's definitely improved this season, and I've said loads of times that he's not that bad, in that if you're happy finishing 8th and below he's more than good enough. The issue for me is that he lacks too many things to ever be better than that, and his weaknesses affect the way the whole team plays, because we're always scared of him being left isolated. I would like to see us upgrade on him both because I think there are better options out there, and because I think he's one of the few expendable players we have who would fetch decent money.

Status
Not open for further replies.