McCartney...Official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly this.

The biggest case in point was a few years ago when totally unprompted, when asked in an interview what he'd do with £50, said he'd put it on Everton to win the cup or something like that, which opened up the whole can of worms in the 1st instance. His publicist probably told him he better do some damage limitation and even the playing field knowing that potentially half of his following would be bitter enough (irony of them calling us that) to burn their Beatles CDs like he just said they were bigger than Jesus or something.

On several occasions now, he has said he's a blue. He could have said he's never followed football and doesn't have an allegiance, it's allowed. He could have said he's more into Rugby or Formula 1, anything.

The thing to remember is, The Beatles shot to fame in about 62/63, around the time we were winning the league with Young and Vernon, the 1st title the City had seen since the 40's. We won the cup in 66, just months before England won the World Cup and had Englands best player from the world Cup playing for us shortly after. We got to another cup final again 2 years later, and then won league again with arguably the best team of the decade in 1970, the same year the Beatles split up having conquered the world.

Inbetween all of that, it has to be remembered that the other lot also won the cup once and the league twice as well, in what was a massive boom for the country and this city in particular in terms of both football and music/pop culture.To think that they will have had no interest at all, is a little naive, even if it was only bandwagon jumping passing interest from afar, as they will have been somewhat busy, as shown by turning up at Cup finals and such.

All you have to do is look at some the attention seeking whoppers jumping on at this years World Cup to give you an idea.

Long story short, he's a blue. Get him invited to a few games and let him do the 1st concert at the new ground.
They've got the Klansmen outfits after all.

<I never get tired of posting this photo...>

aldoKlan.jpg

Not sure what he has to do or say over and above having attended games and stating that "officially I'm Everton, it's the family club".

If he'd said "unofficially I'm Everton" it'd be in doubt. But he hasn't and there is none. He's nailed his colours to the mast. Literally. Macca has always underlined when prompted that music was his love but football-wise he followed the family tradition of supporting Everton. Yes, he was "mates" with Dalglish yada yada yada. But so what?

Only Evertpon fans could pick over the words of a man who's stated on multiple occasions that he's a blue and find fault with it. The Kopites would just bank it as gold and move on. And quite rightly so. D'you think they'd rather have Ringo than McCartney, however tenuous the link? They'd have a banner about 80 meteres long on the Kop.

Stop over thinking it and finding fault FFS!

Not sure what he has to do or say over and above having attended games and stating that "officially I'm Everton, it's the family club".

If he'd said "unofficially I'm Everton" it'd be in doubt. But he hasn't and there is none. He's nailed his colours to the mast. Literally. Macca has always underlined when prompted that music was his love but football-wise he followed the family tradition of supporting Everton. Yes, he was "mates" with Dalglish yada yada yada. But so what?

Only Evertpon fans could pick over the words of a man who's stated on multiple occasions that he's a blue and find fault with it. The Kopites would just bank it as gold and move on. And quite rightly so. D'you think they'd rather have Ringo than McCartney, however tenuous the link? They'd have a banner about 80 meteres long on the Kop.

Stop over thinking it and finding fault FFS!
WTF? Yeah huge fan. Been to a couple of cup finals because he was famous and hasn't been near the club in decades. He's not arsed about footy, stop being precious about claiming someone famous for the club.

WTF? Yeah huge fan. Been to a couple of cup finals because he was famous and hasn't been near the club in decades. He's not arsed about footy, stop being precious about claiming someone famous for the club.
I'm not claiming him, he volunteered...many times.

I think he's just being politically correct so people don't constantly ask him about it or give him abuse. A lot of people of that generation would of grown up going to both grounds, so it's not that surprising that he's not a die hard Everton or Liverpool fan. Also he's spent so much time away from the city, so I think some are being a bit harsh on him. The only people who I have a problem with, are people who falsely claim to be die hard supporters of a particular club, especially when they're not from the city.
The reason we went to both grounds at that time was because they were in different divisions and you could go every
week if you wanted. It had nothing to do with being a die hard supporter. The quote earlier about 'Everton always losing'
is because we were 1st division strugglers, mostly and Liverpool were up near to top of the 2nd division. Nothing to do
with who Macca supports - in a fashion, we already knew that, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.