Transfer Rumour Matías Vecino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloody hell lads can we stop arguing with the crazy American stat merchant, they live for stats, leave him to it and move on

Bloody hell lads can we stop arguing with the crazy American stat merchant, they live for stats, leave him to it and move on
Too late mate, he's already gone postal unfortunately.

You know what, [Poor language removed] it. [Poor language removed] you. [Poor language removed] this [Poor language removed]. You're meaningless. I'm done with all, you want to paint me as such.

Mamba out.

Did we not buy a 17 year old in this window?

a young player for the u23's probably no more than 1 mil that's not the issue. The problem is signing players who aren't going to improve themselves or have already peaked in their careers and having to pay approx 30 mil for every average player that ends up being a waste.

a young player for the u23's probably no more than 1 mil that's not the issue. The problem is signing players who aren't going to improve themselves or have already peaked in their careers and having to pay approx 30 mil for every average player that ends up being a waste.

Times have changed though, 30M is the modern day 5M signing of a few years ago. It's the going rate and all relative to what everyone else is spending.

Ages are not an issue to me, we were not struggling due to signing old players, we were struggling because we were signing bad players.

Times have changed though, 30M is the modern day 5M signing of a few years ago. It's the going rate and all relative to what everyone else is spending.

Ages are not an issue to me, we were not struggling due to signing old players, we were struggling because we were signing bad players.
Totally agree with your last line, but personally I am a little concerned that we've forgotten that there can still be value in the market. £30m may be the new £5m but when £5m was £5m we were signing Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Howard etc for considerably less than that. I don't think we've done anything like enough of that type of thing in recent years, we seem to have become a little bit obsessed with buying players for £20m+ and not getting good value.

Totally agree with your last line, but personally I am a little concerned that we've forgotten that there can still be value in the market. £30m may be the new £5m but when £5m was £5m we were signing Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Howard etc for considerably less than that. I don't think we've done anything like enough of that type of thing in recent years, we seem to have become a little bit obsessed with buying players for £20m+ and not getting good value.

I don't think the intention is to waste money though! We have gone years of having to watch our spending so I guess its nice that we can pay going rates for players now, it's just us buying the wrong players that's the issue. Hopefully there are some of the right players out there who are under the radar for us to get.

We still seem to have an eye on some bargains at least. Sidibe would be great value for money if we got him (and is very much in the mould of what we used to do, get a bloke on loan to see how he does, then pay a reasonable amount for him.)

I dont think we will get him and I dont think he would come anyway. Inter are 3 points off the domestic league, still in Copa Itallia and still in the Europa League.

Doesnt make sense to leave all that to join us

I don't think the intention is to waste money though! We have gone years of having to watch our spending so I guess its nice that we can pay going rates for players now, it's just us buying the wrong players that's the issue. Hopefully there are some of the right players out there who are under the radar for us to get.

We still seem to have an eye on some bargains at least. Sidibe would be great value for money if we got him (and is very much in the mould of what we used to do, get a bloke on loan to see how he does, then pay a reasonable amount for him.)
No of course they're not trying to waste it. I just mean 'everyone else is doing it' isn't necessarily a great reason for us to be spending loads of money on every signing. Of the last 14 players we've paid a fee for, 12 of them have been over £20m. One of the two that wasn't is Lucas Digne, who was just under. My point was that value still exists in the market, we're just not getting it. You might say that's just bad luck or bad individual decision making, but I feel like it may be because we're shopping in the wrong market, consistently buying well established players from big clubs rather than identifying talent ourselves before they hit the big time (age isn't necessarily relevant to this, I don't mean all kids, just players who may not have made their big move yet, like Cahill). Vecino would be another in the well established bracket.

Can I predict that we'll sign him on a 5 year contract at £100000+ per week then moan we can't get him off the books for 4 years.

i will be fuming if this is true. His contract should be no more than his inter one - less in fact because he was hardly living up to expectation there

No of course they're not trying to waste it. I just mean 'everyone else is doing it' isn't necessarily a great reason for us to be spending loads of money on every signing. Of the last 14 players we've paid a fee for, 12 of them have been over £20m. One of the two that wasn't is Lucas Digne, who was just under. My point was that value still exists in the market, we're just not getting it. You might say that's just bad luck or bad individual decision making, but I feel like it may be because we're shopping in the wrong market, consistently buying well established players from big clubs rather than identifying talent ourselves before they hit the big time (age isn't necessarily relevant to this, I don't mean all kids, just players who may not have made their big move yet, like Cahill). Vecino would be another in the well established bracket.

True enough, the problem is that everyone seems to be going for loads right now.

Jarrod Bowen of Hull is a player I like the look of and he would tick the Cahill box of a player who has not yet made it big but is on the cusp of it, you are looking for north of 20M even for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.