2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d keep him until the summer as I suspect Godfrey will be tied up at left back and Keane looks like he needs counselling before he’s starting games again.

I agree, a change would do him good, he has stagnated here and has picked up bad habits from Keane(he probably hasn't but they're both an accident waiting to happen)

If anyone is daft enough to pay a fee for any of our current players who’ve let us down, we should snap their hands off whilst we can. Holgate falls into this category.

I think we have had about 10 players who had potential, but really lost out due to our lack of direction, coaching and consistency behind the scenes. It's fair enough if some players need more mentoring, coaching or support, and I think Holgate is one of them. With a really solid senior defender as partner, or an excellent coach, or a vocal captain, supportive manager (someone who taught him how to be cooler) and maybe even the type of help Pickford has just had with his psychologist - all would have helped hugely, and one or a combination of all of those might have helped us hold on to or improve players like Vlasic, Lookman, Davies, Dowell, Kenny, Barkley, even maybe Beni, and now we have to be careful with Dobbin, Simms and the other crop...

I know I know not all of the above can make it as first teamers, some of them were just mediocre or not physically strong enough, but there's a long-term wider impact of our crappy years , that a lot of young players may have been lost to us. And I really hope the restructuring addresses this, because we need to see a better impact of young players either being sold for good fees or making it to our team.
The annoying thing is that was Brands' remit - to put things in place to locate and nurture younger players and to oversee or overall strategy. He was well paid for doing that but it's hard to see where that money went.

The annoying thing is that was Brands' remit - to put things in place to locate and nurture younger players and to oversee or overall strategy. He was well paid for doing that but it's hard to see where that money went.
I don’t think he wax ever allowed to do his job properly really. But there were also mistakes!

Always spends too long on the ball and acts like he is better than he is. If we can sell now, do so. Get a new CB in.

Still haunts me the mistake against Villa.

Status
Not open for further replies.