2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what - the game wants to stamp out these types of challenges where its studs into someones leg, with intent or not. He's not allowed to do it. More consistency would be good, the photo above with the villa player should get the same penalty as Holgate.

As for intent - I think Holgate could have avoided it, I don't think he needed to have gone to ground.

He could have cleared the ball naturally and stayed on his feet. I don't know why he dived in to be honest.

I'm still not sure it's a red card though. The tackle from West Ham later on yesterday was arguably worse and wasn't even a yellow.

Hes got the right attitude and as @BlueToff and @Barnfred 55 say he was our best defender when Ferguson took over and then Ancelotti came in.

No idea how hes regressed so much
Probably a lack of playing week in week out.

Most players need a good run with a regular partner to get up to speed. Holgate has been in and out of the side for years with a variety of players playing alongside him.

Its a tough one as he doesn't deserve a run in the side so its a bit of a vicious circle.

He could have cleared the ball naturally and stayed on his feet. I don't know why he dived in to be honest.

I'm still not sure it's a red card though. The tackle from West Ham later on yesterday was arguably worse and wasn't even a yellow.
It's split second stuff.

Yes it was stupid but in that split second he knew he was getting the man after the ball, he went to hurt him and he knows it.
Nobody brain works that fast.

I doubt he meant to hurt him because 1, why? and 2, Hojbjerg turns his body away from the tackle which I doubt anybody was expecting.

There’s no malice in the tackle, and I’m no expert either, but not sure how he’s meant to get out the way of that.

Equally, professional footballer and continues to make mistakes, significant mistakes in every game he plays.

It’s a nasty tackle, is a red card and we’re screwed if Any of the back 4 go down for the next month now.

There’s no malice in the tackle, and I’m no expert either, but not sure how he’s meant to get out the way of that.

Equally, professional footballer and continues to make mistakes, significant mistakes in every game he plays.

It’s a nasty tackle, is a red card and we’re screwed if Any of the back 4 go down for the next month now.

Mina is close to fitness, and isn't travelling during the break so we should have enough cover. Branthwaite is fit too, so we should have 4 fit centre backs.

As has been said It’s a challenge that gets a red but older fellas like me often lose their minds because it never used to . Some refs you’d get a yellow but that doesn’t excuse it , it was at best ill judged .

As regards cresswell i was amazed he got away with that especially given the opponents.

As has been said It’s a challenge that gets a red but older fellas like me often lose their minds because it never used to . Some refs you’d get a yellow but that doesn’t excuse it , it was at best ill judged .

As regards cresswell i was amazed he got away with that especially given the opponents.

I'm not going to try and say I wished Cresswell was sent off, because I don't. But a little consistency would be nice.

It's the same with the penalty decision. It's clearly not a clear and obvious error. And an even softer penalty was given to Brighton on Saturday from an overturn, so i don't get the system. It's a clear penalty, why is the VAR even involved.

I'm not going to try and say I wished Cresswell was sent off, because I don't. But a little consistency would be nice.

It's the same with the penalty decision. It's clearly not a clear and obvious error. And an even softer penalty was given to Brighton on Saturday from an overturn, so i don't get the system. It's a clear penalty, why is the VAR even involved.
Again spot on . I was in a boozer by the ground full of blues and the response was generally happy he was still on but incredulity that he was . It’s mad .

The penalty the ref saw what he saw I’m not convinced he saw anything else on replay so what’s changed his mind ? Holgate got a red for the follow through but lloris isn’t a Penalty, it just hurts my head .

I look at the last game pre lock down against Man U -Robbed by var , brighton - robbed by var the spurs handball from alli-robbed I could go on .

Status
Not open for further replies.