2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes not getting cb in front of Godfrey, play them together and we are a bit small . Hes a decent squad player covering cb lb and dm .

To me the position you play best in is your position.

Godfrey wanted to be a midfielder, he's seemingly best at CB, he's a CB.

Holgate wants to be a CB, he's better at CB than RB, LB or midfielder, he's a CB.
Yeah and I accept that. My point is simply that it doesn’t mean you’re ‘out of position’ when playing elsewhere. Keane or Mina would be out of position at RB, I’m not sure holgate is. I wouldn’t be surprised if he continues to play as much at RB as centre half for the rest of his time with us. He isn’t just filling in an emergency, he’s consistently been picked as a right back over his entire career.

I’m not sure if that’s confirmation or rebuttal but doesn’t really matter either way. I was being facetious but point still stands, not everything that you don’t agree with is a lie or someone spoiling for a fight. I am genuinely unsure if holgate is a natural centre half playing out of position or just a generally good footballer who’s probably best at centre half but not by so much that you’d say it’s his real position. I am also genuinely unsure If arteta played more centrally or wide for us. He was the first name that came to mind but there are loads of others who’ve played more outside of the position they’d choose for themselves.
:celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate:

No I was confused where the Leeds/Arteta thing came from. I supported Leeds as a kid (till I was 8) but well before Arteta.

To me the position you play best in is your position.

Godfrey wanted to be a midfielder, he's seemingly best at CB, he's a CB.

Holgate wants to be a CB, he's better at CB than RB, LB or midfielder, he's a CB.
Why did you support Leeds and why did you stop?

Genuine question

Why did you support Leeds and why did you stop?

Genuine question

Well support should be "support" as it basically meant I got given a Leeds kit as a kid; zero interest in football when I was 8 lol

Everton home game vs Sunderlands Boxing Day 1999 was my Christmas prezzie from my uncle. 2002 World Cup getting up at mad hours before school to watch Senegal vs France was when I got super into football.

Did Arteta have more good performances on the wing than in the middle for us.

I mean I haven’t counted them like but I would imagine so yes.

For me in a back 4 Holgate best position is CB. He plays well whenever he gets a run there. However I think a 3 CB system suits him better RCB. Can do a job at RB and in an emergency can also cover DM and LB.

On the Arteta debate I think his best position was CM and that's where he was playing before his ACL and he was in the provisional Spain squad. However he had more good games on the wings as he played more games there as he was more adaptable so was Osman. Holgate suffers from the same problem as does Godfrey. Neither Keane or Mina would do half the job at right back.

For me in a back 4 Holgate best position is CB. He plays well whenever he gets a run there. However I think a 3 CB system suits him better RCB. Can do a job at RB and in an emergency can also cover DM and LB.

On the Arteta debate I think his best position was CM and that's where he was playing before his ACL and he was in the provisional Spain squad. However he had more good games on the wings as he played more games there as he was more adaptable so was Osman. Holgate suffers from the same problem as does Godfrey. Neither Keane or Mina would do half the job at right back.
Yeah I’d agree with all of that.

Why have people got complete amnesia for last season?
He was our best CB under Carlo for the end of that season.

I was really looking forward to him kicking on but he got injured and then the other 3 have looked solid and undroppable at times and he just hasn't really got up to the level he was last year.

People being too quick to judge him at full back. It isn't his position and he's only doing it because Coleman can't stay fit or get in form.

He was our best CB under Carlo for the end of that season.

I was really looking forward to him kicking on but he got injured and then the other 3 have looked solid and undroppable at times and he just hasn't really got up to the level he was last year.

People being too quick to judge him at full back. It isn't his position and he's only doing it because Coleman can't stay fit or get in form.

Yeh I'm a fan. Even if he's not a starter he's great for the bench but can imagine if we buy a proper RB and he's on the bench often he might want to move on.

If Holgate and Coleman are both injured Ryan Astley could be a surprise choice. He's played Right Back a fair few times in the u23s. It would be a baptism of fire so let's hope it doesn't come to that. Kyle John played there for the u23 this afternoon but he his a winger converted to Right Back so is a less safe option.

If Holgate and Coleman are both injured Ryan Astley could be a surprise choice. He's played Right Back a fair few times in the u23s. It would be a baptism of fire so let's hope it doesn't come to that. Kyle John played there for the u23 this afternoon but he his a winger converted to Right Back so is a less safe option.
I did notice Astley didn’t play for u23’s today.

Status
Not open for further replies.