2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
....folk give me stick for saying he’s behind Coleman in my RB ranking, a view I hold consistently whether he plays well or not. I posted ahead of kick-off suggesting we’d have absolutely no threat on the right as Holgate rarely crosses the half-way line and Doucoure tends to run through central positions.

Holgate is ok, I don’t dislike him but I don’t think he’s a starter if everybody is available.

He’s done well playing out of position and defensively pretty sound. Not got the game in the attacking third but he wants to be a centre back so crossing not high on his priorities for improvement. Kenny sold in the summer and a new right back becomes important.

Does a job defensively at RB more often than not but we pretty much have no attacking impetus at all down that side. Quite disappointing really as I actually expect him to be better on the ball than he is..
Think it worked better when James was on the right as Holgate needed to stay in position because James won’t track back but then teams just overloaded that side.

Well he can’t cross, he doesn’t ever try beat a man anymore, he’s a better dribbler but meh it’s much of the same to me. Neither should be starting games there next season.

Yeah, both are terrible going forward but I always think we look more solid defensively if Holgate is playing right back. It was a good shout with their threat from set pieces too to have the extra height of Holgate.

Not sure why people are moaning about a centre halves attacking talents. He’s no less useful going forwards than Coleman is.
Yeah especially on games like tonight when were playing 4 central players in the mf. Nightmare set up for a centre half playing full back

Holgate’s probably the better crosser of the 2, and when we play 433/231 he doesn’t encroach on the areas the wide right player wants to be taking up

The system tonight really showed how much we miss an athletic right-back, a proper right-back.

Defensively Holgate did fine. Going forward, he's not got any end product, but he's a centre-back. Same with Godfrey.

We need a full-back. We should have a full-back - it's a massive failing that we don't have one and haven't had a succession plan put in place over the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.