2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a job defensively at RB more often than not but we pretty much have no attacking impetus at all down that side. Quite disappointing really as I actually expect him to be better on the ball than he is..

It's not about being 'good on the ball', really.

You can be neat and tidy on the ball, but not have that incisive instinct – well, that's Holgate for you, because he's a centre-back.

He did OK defensively playing out of position but he really should be able to pick a pass out. A right back will be coming in the summer that's a certainty.

When we get a new right back in he will be on the bench as I think our back 4 next season will be New RB Keane Godfrey Digne. Mina and Holgate as cover and there will be plenty of games if we get Europe. I also think we'll go 3 at the back in some games and this will see Holgate start and in the position that suits him best RCB in a 3.

When we get a new right back in he will be on the bench as I think our back 4 next season will be New RB Keane Godfrey Digne. Mina and Holgate as cover and there will be plenty of games if we get Europe. I also think we'll go 3 at the back in some games and this will see Holgate start and in the position that suits him best RCB in a 3.

That would be good to see, and he can get plenty of opportunities as a sub. I would also like to see him even more versatile, and a Defensive Midfielder rather than a right back. His attacking instinct is not there really, as he is a Centre back, but he may be able to break up play and get simple passes around, as cover for Davies / Allan / Doucoure.

I wouldn't be overly bothered about him at RB if we had a decent proper RW, with Digne bombing on all the time it leaves us more solid but I think he's improving.

I wouldn't be overly bothered about him at RB if we had a decent proper RW, with Digne bombing on all the time it leaves us more solid but I think he's improving.

I agree with your final point: he is improving. Granted it was only Southampton so Carlo was probably more comfortable with the level of risk involved, but it looked to me like Holgate got further forward a bit more often. He won a couple of free kicks in advanced positions just by moving forward with the ball.

It's part of a wider trend - Carlo seems to be slowly improving some of the squad. Davies, for instance, also seems to be putting in better perfomances. I wonder if Carlo has sat down with Holgate and some video footage of Joshua Kimmich, and set a challenge: "Can you be this versatile?" - I can't see him ever matching Kimmich for quality, but if ever there was a model for what I'd hope Holgate could try to emulate, Kimmich would be it.

I agree with your final point: he is improving. Granted it was only Southampton so Carlo was probably more comfortable with the level of risk involved, but it looked to me like Holgate got further forward a bit more often. He won a couple of free kicks in advanced positions just by moving forward with the ball.

It's part of a wider trend - Carlo seems to be slowly improving some of the squad. Davies, for instance, also seems to be putting in better perfomances. I wonder if Carlo has sat down with Holgate and some video footage of Joshua Kimmich, and set a challenge: "Can you be this versatile?" - I can't see him ever matching Kimmich for quality, but if ever there was a model for what I'd hope Holgate could try to emulate, Kimmich would be it.
I said yesterday a few of the younger players have improved so much recently under Carlo, they are definite having some individual sessions and working on weak points. I think the biggest thing I can take is what Godfrey said about how he just makes the game so simple for everyone. Long term it's looking good.

Full list of 2019/20 Everton award winners:

Player of the Season - Richarlison
Players' Player of the Season - Mason Holgate
Young Player of the Season - Mason Holgate

Goal of the Season - Leighton Baines
Howard Kendall Award - Duncan Ferguson
Chairman's Blueblood Award - Denise Barratt-Baxendale
Under-23 Player of the Season - Anthony Gordon
Everton Women Player of the Season - Dan Turner
Everton Women Breakthrough Player of the Season - Molly Pike
Fan of the Year - Lewis Docherty
Everton Giant - Pat Van den Hauwe and Gary Stevens
People's Club Award - The Everton Family
Moody Blue Award - Hannah Moody

Shush. Don't say these things
What on earth is a chairman's blue blood award?

Mason is applying for a Jamaican passport because he wants to represent them at international level. Can't really blame him as he's down the pecking order for England.

Strange one, understand he obviously wants to experience international football but getting capped for England is well within his ability I'd say. Hope he doesn't do it personally, if only to save himself all the travelling that it will involve.

Status
Not open for further replies.