2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

He’s absolutely not a fullback. The long passes he was playing are totally not his game.

I like him as a centre back, but I maintain centre mid is his secondary cover position, not right back.

He’s absolutely not a fullback. The long passes he was playing are totally not his game.

I like him as a centre back, but I maintain centre mid is his secondary cover position, not right back.
If he's poor on the ball for a RB why would moving to midfield make it better?

I’ve watched him play well in midfield, that’s why.

Distribution is where he’s poor, and the kind of diagonal balls fullbacks have to play need more accuracy than he can bring to the table.
He played well in midfield in two games where we played long. He makes it as a CB or we find some cash.

I’ve watched him play well in midfield, that’s why.

Distribution is where he’s poor, and the kind of diagonal balls fullbacks have to play need more accuracy than he can bring to the table.
Pickford found him on his own wide right with the best pass of the night and Holgate passed it straight to the Southampton keeper. Still a useful squad member though and he could still become a very good player.

He played well in midfield in two games where we played long. He makes it as a CB or we find some cash.
My point was that he’s being asked to perform in probably his third-best position. It’s hard to criticise him for that, as much as he was poor.

I think he’s a great centre back, and I’m pleased we have him as one of our four senior players in that position.

Broadly agree with the none right back shouts. But away to Chelsea, I'd like to see him there and against Mane he was brilliant. Against WBA though, I think it will leave the team lacking in attack.

A mobile right back who can attack and defend has to be a priority this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.