2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never figured out why when we play a back three with Wing Backs we get overrun in midfield and eventually switch back to a four, yet when we play against a back three their midfield dominates ours with extra numbers. Hopefully Carlo won’t go there again.

Because formations are only one half of it. The other half is instructions for the player and how well he executes them. Three at the back still meant we were light at the back, teams still caught us on the counter with Digne and Coleman out of position. Most of the time 3 CBs meant we were playing 1 more up front anyway, so it wasn't like we added to the midfield. It wasn't like we played 3-6-1, it was 3-4-3. And I always felt like opposition still attacked the full back positions which caused problems once the defence had to react and start moving around.

Its about whether the balance of the team outweighs that though. There’s no reason Coleman and Digne can’t do what Godfrey and Holgate are doing but time after time they seem to leave gaps in the channels open, get caught up the pitch, or lose the ball trying for one twos up the line. Keane and Mina then find themselves strung out across the pitch and we concede goals.

When Holgate and Godfrey play, every time we lose the ball you look at our shape and the back 4 are in perfect position across the penalty area. Mina and Keane are just focusing on who they are marking and the cross coming in and both fullbacks cover their back post areas properly.

They’re not great going forward but unless a new fullback can come on and first and foremost defend as well as Holgate and Godfrey are doing then I’m not sure it’s a worthwhile trade off for the odd assist they might get at the other end.

Yep I agree with this! The only thing we're losing at the moment is crossing into the box with the fullbacks, but Digne LM helps with this. On the RHS, really need Iwobi to do more with his crosses.

I think Godfrey to RB now Digne is back is s good call and rotate the other 3 CBs depending on the opposition. If its a physical attack Mina and Keane if its a bit quicker Holgate instead. Given the games will be thick and fast enough game time for everyone. For me Holgate is a CB who can do a job at RB but it limits us going forward. As for DM Guardiola tried Stones there for City to compensate for his lapses and it didn't really work. However Stones has eventually matured as will Holgate and cut the errors out.

We’ve talked elsewhere about how our junior players have improved under Carlo, right? DCL is the obvious, but Keane and now Mina have vastly improved. Even Davies is better than last season, albeit modestly.

Only one to really move backwards is Holgate. Was huge last season. Well behind Mina and Keane now. Wonder why.

Maybe it was however many months he had out injured.

We’ve talked elsewhere about how our junior players have improved under Carlo, right? DCL is the obvious, but Keane and now Mina have vastly improved. Even Davies is better than last season, albeit modestly.

Only one to really move backwards is Holgate. Was huge last season. Well behind Mina and Keane now. Wonder why.

Yep good point as Holgate was probably ahead of Mina last season.

That injury at the start of this certainly set him back didn't it. I want to see competition but not just some strolling around 5/10 performance. Kenny could have done that Coleman could have. You have to be wanting to do more. It was like what I'd expect from a Burnley or Newcastle level player.

Yep good point as Holgate was probably ahead of Mina last season.

That injury at the start of this certainly set him back didn't it. I want to see competition but not just some strolling around 5/10 performance. Kenny could have done that Coleman could have. You have to be wanting to do more. It was like what I'd expect from a Burnley or Newcastle level player.

5/10 vs Wolves? Think you’re being incredibly harsh there.

Right back is where I would prioritise in the summer window, but right now Holgate is a better option than Seamus in most matches. He's not doing anything spectacular, but he has avoided big errors at the back and we are looking pretty solid.

This is it. He's done pretty well at right back. At 24 it's certainly worth giving him a prolonged run, as if he can be more consistent he could (I'm not saying will) but could save the club a lot of money. Coleman is never going to do that now.

He is also more solid than Seamus now. I agree with msot that he wasn't great against Wolves, but he has done very well in that role. He was fantastic against Chesea/Arsenal & Leicester really. Didn't give Werner or Havertz a sniff.

Its about whether the balance of the team outweighs that though. There’s no reason Coleman and Digne can’t do what Godfrey and Holgate are doing but time after time they seem to leave gaps in the channels open, get caught up the pitch, or lose the ball trying for one twos up the line. Keane and Mina then find themselves strung out across the pitch and we concede goals.

When Holgate and Godfrey play, every time we lose the ball you look at our shape and the back 4 are in perfect position across the penalty area. Mina and Keane are just focusing on who they are marking and the cross coming in and both fullbacks cover their back post areas properly.

They’re not great going forward but unless a new fullback can come on and first and foremost defend as well as Holgate and Godfrey are doing then I’m not sure it’s a worthwhile trade off for the odd assist they might get at the other end.

I don't even think he's that bad going forward. He made some good overlapping runs last night and put a couple of decent balls in. He's not Dani Alves and Godfreys not Leighton Baines, but I've seen players a lot more limited offensively play those positions for us. Holgate is probably as good going forward as any right back I've seen for us pre Coleman. Admitedly we've had a lot of rubbish in there, but the point still stands.

Happy out to have this lad in the squad. Currently its mina and keane. In form both have been excellent. I like holgate has all the basics.

Did well enough, one cross floated to DCL but other than that didn't offer a lot going forward. Against Barnes anyone would have a hard nights work.

Status
Not open for further replies.