2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think CB is his best position. If Ancelotti went with 3 at the back RCB would be the perfect position for him. I think sometimes in a 4 his lack of physicality is exposed a little. For me he isn't good enough going forward to play RB and technically he isn't good enough to play DCM.

I think CB is his best position. If Ancelotti went with 3 at the back RCB would be the perfect position for him. I think sometimes in a 4 his lack of physicality is exposed a little. For me he isn't good enough going forward to play RB and technically he isn't good enough to play DCM.
I agree with you re his lack of physicality/also aggression in terms of attacking the ball in the air. It’s an area he can still really improve on and it’s something that can be worked on. Pairing him with a Keane/Mina type should compliment him. Think him and Godfrey at the moment both have similar weaknesses.

He’s just needing time to get back to peak fitness and a run of games to get momentum going again, still looks a bit rusty at times. Long term future definitely at centre back though.

We’ve spectacularly failed at playing a back three this season and previous seasons, don’t want to see it again personally.

a back three of Godfrey - Keane (or Mina) - Holgate would have a lot going for it, I think

a back three of Godfrey - Keane (or Mina) - Holgate would have a lot going for it, I think

Played with a midfield featuring one of Gomes, Davies or Sigurdsson would be a disaster.

I would like a left footer at LCB if we played 3 at the back. Holgate and Godfrey competing for RCB, Keane and Mina competing for the middle and a new left footer on the left with Branthwaite as back up. My midfield in front of them would be Allan and Doucoure.

Godfrey - Holgate - Branthwaite

The future.

If I was playing that back 3 I would have Godfrey in the middle. At one point I thought Gibson might have been the man for LCB but the terrible decision to send him to Reading on loan may have scuppered that.

Status
Not open for further replies.