2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like a left footer at LCB if we played 3 at the back. Holgate and Godfrey competing for RCB, Keane and Mina competing for the middle and a new left footer on the left with Branthwaite as back up. My midfield in front of them would be Allan and Doucoure.
Three at the back was a disaster,need a big squad overhaul before it could ever work.

I’ve never figured out why when we play a back three with Wing Backs we get overrun in midfield and eventually switch back to a four, yet when we play against a back three their midfield dominates ours with extra numbers. Hopefully Carlo won’t go there

Three at the back was a disaster,need a big squad overhaul before it could ever work.

To play 3 at the back we need a left sided centre back and a right wing back who is similar to Digne in style. 5 years ago Coleman could have played the role but is too slow now and Kenny isn't suited to it either. You need a left footer centre back as the 2 wide centre backs will cover full back areas when the wing backs push up. One of the front 3 in a 3-4-3 would drop off when we don't have the ball to give us the extra man in the middle.

I’ve never figured out why when we play a back three with Wing Backs we get overrun in midfield and eventually switch back to a four, yet when we play against a back three their midfield dominates ours with extra numbers. Hopefully Carlo won’t go there again.

You need two very hard working, fast and energetic CM's to play it properly.

I think Mason is a very good defender but at RB he is rubbish going forward and that showed last night.
I agree, we need a new RB in next summer.

As much as I like Col-e-man as I hear it being said on Colombian tv haha I think he's past it and has 1 more season left in him after this year. His injury record is worsening and his game is suffering because of it. He started very well this season before the injuries started mounting that being said.

I think Mason is a very good defender but at RB he is rubbish going forward and that showed last night.

Its about whether the balance of the team outweighs that though. There’s no reason Coleman and Digne can’t do what Godfrey and Holgate are doing but time after time they seem to leave gaps in the channels open, get caught up the pitch, or lose the ball trying for one twos up the line. Keane and Mina then find themselves strung out across the pitch and we concede goals.

When Holgate and Godfrey play, every time we lose the ball you look at our shape and the back 4 are in perfect position across the penalty area. Mina and Keane are just focusing on who they are marking and the cross coming in and both fullbacks cover their back post areas properly.

They’re not great going forward but unless a new fullback can come on and first and foremost defend as well as Holgate and Godfrey are doing then I’m not sure it’s a worthwhile trade off for the odd assist they might get at the other end.

Thought he was not at his best tonight.

Yep, he was bloody awful tbh. He had nothing to do defensively but he didn't want to know at all about that round thing called a football. Got it, stopped it, checked back, looked at the ground about 7 times doing this.

Got to be offering far far more than what he showed last night because sooner or later he won't be getting a sniff at CB once Godfrey starts pushing Keane and Mina so hes going to need to start looking more creative from the right hand side.

Yep, he was bloody awful tbh. He had nothing to do defensively but he didn't want to know at all about that round thing called a football. Got it, stopped it, checked back, looked at the ground about 7 times doing this.

Got to be offering far far more than what he showed last night because sooner or later he won't be getting a sniff at CB once Godfrey starts pushing Keane and Mina so hes going to need to start looking more creative from the right hand side.
We’ve talked elsewhere about how our junior players have improved under Carlo, right? DCL is the obvious, but Keane and now Mina have vastly improved. Even Davies is better than last season, albeit modestly.

Only one to really move backwards is Holgate. Was huge last season. Well behind Mina and Keane now. Wonder why.

I’d rather move Godfrey to right back and then have Digne at left back, Holgate is a centre back, Hes just too limited to play at right back. We need a new one badly

Status
Not open for further replies.