2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full-backs are the most important player on the pitch in modern football. You can't have one that can't attack.

...the loss of regular full-backs is a blow but you can still win football matches playing a different way. We’ve beaten Chelsea and Leicester with a full-back pairing that get a nose bleed if they cross the half-way line.

Digne & Rodriguez are arguably our most creative footballers yet we can still carry threat and look stronger defensively without them.

Its taken Ancelotti a while to make us defensively sound, we will be a problem for most teams if we can maintain that status because we will score goals. Ancelotti needs to get the balance right when all of the squad is fit and available.

Full-backs are the most important player on the pitch in modern football. You can't have one that can't attack.

You can’t have ones that don’t defend either. The last two games have shown the value of keeping the door shut. If you have James, Richarlison and DCL upfront you will get chances at some point against any team. If you don’t concede many then you e always got a chance.

I’d rather this back 4 than Coleman trying to ply overlapping football on the right and ballooning crosses.

You can’t have ones that don’t defend either. The last two games have shown the value of keeping the door shut. If you have James, Richarlison and DCL upfront you will get chances at some point against any team. If you don’t concede many then you e always got a chance.

I’d rather this back 4 than Coleman trying to ply overlapping football on the right and ballooning crosses.

You can, however, sign someone that can do both things.

Not a chance that defence will be altered this weekend. 2 clean sheets after not having a clean sheet in 10 league games.

If James is fit, he comes straight back in and siggy will drop deeper. If James isn't fit, it will be gomes. Not a chance Holgate will be moved currently.

Ultimately want to see Holgate and Godfrey the top CB pairing in the league, but that potential is a couple of seasons away

Until the midfield becomes more solid all round, Mason is def an option as holding mid,
but only with likes of Digne, Coleman and Alan back.

Sig Holgate Alan
Digne Kean Godfrey Coleman

Sig and Alan covering the alleys
Digne and Coleman getting forward
Holgate ahead of Kean and Godfrey, shutting down the centre, using his quick feet and balance to link play and to play those penetrating passes
But certainly wouldn't play him there at the moment.

What I'm loving is how Carlo is giving Holgate and Godfrey a good look around the backline. It will all pay dividends down the track.
In the meantime Carlo, Holgate and Godfrey are superbly bagging points when under lesser men it could easily have been nudda.

Coleman has become a very good defender since his attacking abilities have diminished.

If Coleman is proper fit then play him and I like to see Mason defensive mid , if James had played the last two games we would have lost but he'll be ok against Arsenal as they fanny about as well .

Coleman has become a very good defender since his attacking abilities have diminished.

He is one on one, but I’ve seen countless times that he’s played a ridiculous ball infield to Doucoure or Allan looking for a one two on the overlap that is just not on. He’s then been caught out of position.

Holgate seems to stay behind the play. We won’t get the sort of goals we got against Palace or maybe Fulham but considering the confidence of the squad was so low then just getting back to basics was sensible.

Good discussion. What about branthwaite? But we’ve got a seriously good crop of young defenders, not sure what our eventual back 4 looks like post injuries?

Agree. He’s a good player like, but I don’t get the hyperbole from GOT about him.

IMHO is a back up utility player, v.useful to have on the bench
RS fans think that every one of their players is the best in the world. RS that. We have a very talented young defender and you think that he is a back up player. Everton that. No wonder our players suffer from confidence issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.