2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to get ahead of it: no we should not move him into midfield when Seamus comes back.

Great to see him score tonight.
Could you expound further on why you don't think he would be suitable as a defensive mid? Obviously it's not ideal but I'd rather see him operate in that role over davies especially if Allen is out of commission.

Haha I get that but I feel he's versatile enough to cover midfield same with Godfrey. It's not like I'm talking about mina or keane
I don't think he (or Godfrey but I've obviously seen less so I'm less sure on that) have the required ability or experience or both to play the ball at the level we need in midfield. I think his past midfield performances were only passable because we went extremely long. I also think after a game or two a good side can start to figure out ways to exploit them not being natural midfield players.

I think he's a defender and should be left there unless it is truly an emergency. And this is coming from someone who is terrified of what Gomes could do to us when he has bad games, but I'd still go with him or Davies first.

I don't think he (or Godfrey but I've obviously seen less so I'm less sure on that) have the required ability or experience or both to play the ball at the level we need in midfield. I think his past midfield performances were only passable because we went extremely long. I also think after a game or two a good side can start to figure out ways to exploit them not being natural midfield players.

I think he's a defender and should be left there unless it is truly an emergency. And this is coming from someone who is terrified of what Gomes could do to us when he has bad games, but I'd still go with him or Davies first.
Valid points I think my growing disillusionment with Gomez has me more inclined to the experimentation of holgate as a defensive mid just as someone who can play the anchor and regurgitate the ball for the natural midfielders. I just keep having flashbacks to that mockery of the midfield that featured last season. It was excruciating. Also when Coleman returns it presents a conundrum on where to play holgate. I just feel like he should be on the pitch in some capacity. Maybe paired with keane? Or just a squad player?

Valid points I think my growing disillusionment with Gomez has me more inclined to the experimentation of holgate just as someone who can play the anchor and regurgitate the ball for the natural midfielders. I just keep having flashbacks to that mockery of the midfield that featured last season. It was excruciating. Also when Coleman returns it presents a conundrum on where to play holgate. I just feel like he should be on the pitch in some capacity. Maybe paired with keane? Or just a squad player?
I'd have him in for Mina currently.

Currently? so you'd prefer that carlo played jonjoe at rb? Or when Coleman returns? I feel like mason has been pretty solid at RB
When Coleman returns. He's not a fullback same as Godfrey isn't but both are good enough defenders and athletes to make do.

2 clean sheets ...that back four is staying in place for the weekend. ( Coleman on bench if fit )
Someone else plugs in with Siggy / Doucoure

LOL
He was excellent this season before injury and is great on the overlap with a player like Iwobi in front of him.

How quickly we forget....
He was excellent against spurs in the first game like

Since then he's been in and out and we've been conceding for a laugh.

A new RB for me is our absolutely main priority

I prefer him ar RB, I'm happy defenders defending first and foremost, pretty sure he has more games under his belt as a Rb as well or at least it must be close.

I feel like he might be destined to be a bit of a utility player for his whole career with us. He's a good footballer with plenty of attributes but i'm not sure he's quite good enough as either a centre half or a right back to make either position his own at a club trying to compete at the top end. He's good back up for both though, and possibly midfield at a push. Nothing wrong with being a modern day Alan Harper.

Status
Not open for further replies.