2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurs last season put that young lad in Foyth (I think and did very well) I trust Holgate to do ok, I just a bit worried what if we lost 2 cb’s

he's reliable and can do a job, He's not someone who makes a mistake every game he plays but it's not ideal for him to be our cover, He's the cover cover.
I agree. I have a feeling that we'll keep hold of Scheiderlin. Gbamin will be our first choice holding mid, but also act as first cover for central defence with Mason as second cover. Schneids will cover for Gbamin at holding mid.

Not ideal, but Schneids hasn't been that bad under Silva plus I have high hopes for the boy Gbamin. He looks an absolute athlete and very strong.

Spurs last season put that young lad in Foyth (I think and did very well) I trust Holgate to do ok, I just a bit worried what if we lost 2 cb’s
I think foyth is a lot better than Holgate, but he played 8 PL games at centre half last year, in one he gave away 2 pens and in another he was sent off after 3 minutes. It all depends how you define ‘very well’ I suppose, but most people wouldn’t define it like that.

Wasn’t long ago the general majority was saying how good Holgate was, would start him, better than Stones and some other hyperbole .. he hasn’t done much to prove he can’t make it with us. He’s just fallen off the radar as a new manager came in who wanted experience at the back.

I expect him to be better than when he broke through initially and impressed us all. Let’s give these guys a chance before we write them off.

Not read the entire thread to check nobody else has said this, but my most striking memory of Holgate was from a derby I watched on TV in Big Sam's time. The RS had a throw in our end and had numbers on our defenders near the throw while Holgate was stood in the middle marking nobody. Sam shouted "Mason!", and gesticulated wildly to move over. In the second half, the same situation arose, with a throw to the RS in our half and Holgate doing nothing useful. On this occasion Sam said, "Mason! Getthefunkover'ere!". (Hope that isn't a language violation).

Regardless of what you think of Allardyce, this struck me as proper management in any profession. If you have to tell someone their job, do it civilly. If you have to tell them again shortly afterward, make sure they remember it.

The lad will be ok, at 22 he is young for centre back. Had Zlatan in pocket 3 years ago, so he has been inconsistent part and parcel of a young centre back, much is about experience and game time...

Status
Not open for further replies.