Martinez's 12 months of squad building

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you put it like that...
image.jpg

Bill has an arm coming out of his armpit...egad
Samuel Eto'o and Tony Hibbert are in the same squad.

I genuinely love that. Not having a go at hibbo, I love him and I love that fact.

You need to mix it up to win gear. Hibbo and Eto'o. Them and all inbetween, covers all bases.

Samuel Eto'o and Tony Hibbert are in the same squad.

I genuinely love that. Not having a go at hibbo, I love him and I love that fact.

You need to mix it up to win gear. Hibbo and Eto'o. Them and all inbetween, covers all bases.

Yeah mate...I agree. Boss on toast this whole transfer window's been. Couldn't be happier meself.

Duffy would probably be sold before 1 Sept.

I would have got rid of Hibbert this summer never mind handling him another two years. He has past it.

Alcaraz will probably leave next summer after his contract expires. He and Kone spent time on the treatment table than playing games.

If we ain't getting rid of Kone, he would probably injured anyway.

I will give a one year extension to Osman because he is still a useful squad player.

Robles, I don't know what to do. He is still young but does not seem he has improved at all. Very shaky keeper who can't catch the hoof ball.

If Distin is doing ok this season he will get an extension surely.

Martinez4.jpg

There's four of that lot you wouldn't want to see in any first team, that's for sure. I'd say there's only 18 there I'd trust to take to the pitch. We have no option at RB, a poor GK understudy, no real playmaker worthy of the name.

The age of the squad must be pretty high, it looks it.

glasshalffull.jpg

My only real doubt about Martinez before he came in was his record in the transfer market, but he's done a great job of improving the squad so far.

Spending £6m on Kone was obviously a mistake, but he could yet make a contribution down the line (stop laughing at the back).

There are still areas of weakness in the squad, most notably out wide, but thanks to the TV money it doesn't seem as though it'll take as long to address such issues as it used to.

Hopefully the priority between now and deadline day will be finding quality cover for Barkley. A lack of creativity in the middle will badly hamper the forwards, and without it I think Everton will spend the season playing catch up behind Liverpool and Tottenham.

There is a cause for concern in the current squad, and I simply do not see the money being there to properly replace two first team players in 12 months time if lets say and god forbid a couple of our regulars get severe injuries that see them retired. Simply put, and this is just to make an example but if Distin and Barry both got ACL injuries at some point this season that'd be them done as pro's.
Having such an over 30's laden squad/first eleven is heaping risk onto risk, we have a great core of early 20's players but could we put a side together out of them? it'd be a real stretch.
We are probably better off than under Moyes 3 years ago age wise though. We had very few young players then and no sign of any getting a game.

I highlighted this a year ago + also if you look at some contracts such as Gibson they run out soon. So an overhaul has been needed.

These days I think you need to look at the core of the side:

RB - Coleman
CB - Stones
DM - McCarthy / Besic
AM - Barkley
ST - Lukaku

I think inthe next 12 months we will have more of an idea on when Ledson can step up as well as the key centre back area.

I think we need a winger, centre back and a striker all around the same age as the core to really look immense long term!

This is a rough list of what we currently have available listed with their ages.

Howard 35
Robles 24
Coleman 25
Hibbert 33
Oviedo 24
Baines 29
Jagielka 32
Distin 36
Alcaraz 32
Stones 20
Gibson 26
Barry 33
McCarthy 23
Besic 21
Mirallas 26
Pienaar 32
Atsu 22
McGeady 28
Osman 33
Barkley 20
Naismith 27
Lukaku 21
Eto 33
Kone 30

10 Players need to be replaced within the next 5 years roughly. The greatest concern here is that we probably need to roughly replace around 8 players within the next 3 years. However I think it might be do-able if we sign into those positions (which I think will happen) over the next few years. We have the young talent already in place hopefully that might fill the key positions over the next few years. The area I have most concern about is at the back...but at the same time we have a few coming through by the looks of it (Galloway, Garbutt etc).

Robles 24
Coleman 25
Stones 20
Duffy 22
Oviedo 24
McCarthy 23
Besic 21
Barkley 20
Mirallas 26
Atsu 22
Lukaku 21

This is a team we will never field...but its a team that are mostly made up out of our younger players with Mirallas as the eldest in it...roughly an indication of where we are going into the future. Average age = 22.54 years old. Given that few players listed there might not be ideal BUT point is...I cant remember when in the past we could field a team of roughly 22.5 years of average age and look at it and think thats not a terrible team. The potential in that lot is high and around those players one can build a very good team for the future. Yes we havent signed Atsu on a permamnent but think if he playes well this season we most probably will.

Personally I think we have a very bright future ahead of us...and I trust in our manager to fill the gaps over time and at the same time plan for the future...as he seems to be doing just that at the moment...and it wont happen overnight BUT I think by next year this time it will even look better.

Goalkeepers : Robles
Centrebacks : Alcaraz
Midfielders : Barry, McCarthy, Besic
Wingers : McGeady, Deulofeu, Atsu
Strikers : Lukaku, Eto'o, Kone, Traore

Keeper-wise, Howard has his best season in... ever and so that's worth noting. However Robles hasn't convinced many. However I think judging a keeper on cameo appearances is cruel, and for the low fee we paid he could potentially be an excellent keeper in the future. Signings: 6/10, Performance: 8/10

For the fullbacks, whilst he hasn't signed any, the progress of Coleman and Oviedo has been immense. Coleman and Baines are easily the best fullback pairing in the league, and though much of the groundwork was done by Moyes, Martinez has truly unleashed them. For once we have a great LB backup as well, in the ever-smiling Bryan. Signings: NA, Performance: 9/10

CB-wise, though this season has been slopppy, Martinez managed to get the experienced/ancient (depending on your outlook) pairing of Jags/Distin to play passing football whilst simultaneously keeping a formidable defensive record. Alcaraz has received a lot of stick, but I think getting in a trusted, pass-not-hoof CB on a bosman straight away was at the time, a sensible choice. Though Stones was not his signing, it should be noted that he did try to sign him for Wigan and kept faith in him last year, aiding John make a rapid breakthrough into the England squad. Signings: 5/10, Performance: 8/10

He clearly has an eye for excellent holding/central midfielders. Though it's early days for Besic, he looks brilliant and Barry/McCarthy were brilliant bits of business. However we still lack a Mikel Arteta -- that central playmaker (be it off the striker or in CM), and though Barry/James are very effective, we're crying out for someone who can pick a pass not seen by 99% of people. Signings: 9/10, Performance: 9/10.

In terms of wingers, Deulofeu was a very effective signing and Atsu looks an astute signing -- though of course, early days. McGeady was a no brainer for the minimal fee, with European commitments. His utilisation of Mirallas has not been quite as effective as I'd hoped, so there is room for improvement here. Signings: 7/10, Performance: 7/10.

Up front has been a huge breath of fresh air. Lukaku was a clever loan signing, though arguably a no brainer, but he used him effectively and had us with one of the year's top scorers for the first time since Yak in '07. Signing him permanently was a major coup, just like signing someone of Eto'o's calibre. Traore flopped but that was down to injury, much like Kone who, despite the hate, has been unfortunate. The early signs though are that Martinez has a clear vision for strikers and we will not have to wait long to see a number 9 (or 5... ffs) slotting 20+ goals. Signings: 9/10, Performance: 8/10.

Martinez has a refreshing ability to see what we see. When there's a hole in the team, he addresses it -- something Moyes stubbornly refused to do (see: Right midfield, 2006-2012). The further forward you go up the pitch, the more Martinez seems to know what he's doing, though you could argue he had little to add to Moyes' established, excellent defence. However contrasting Robles and Alcaraz with Lukaku and Eto'o or Barry and McCarthy does seem to highlight the shortcomings in this department. I'm not too worried though, as Martinez tried to sign Stones and has shown that he knows how to build a defence that can play football and stop the opposition from doing so, too.

Right now, the one major hole for me is a playmaker type. We'll see if Bobby fixes that. If not, I'll be a bit disappointed as even if Ross was fit, he shouldn't even be an automatic, 38 game player off the striker in my opinion (he's only 20 after all). With 2 defensive minded CMs, you really need some guile there and for me Barkley is more of a driving midfielder, and Naismith a Cahill-esque, ghosting slotter. Arguably, we also need a right footed Oviedo, as Stones looked shaky at RB and the less said about Hibbert the better. But ultimately, with the budget and wage bill we have, Roberto has done one incredible job in turning around our squad's depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.