Martinez's 12 months of squad building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think by the end of next season (I know sounds stupid saying this already!) but Besic will have taken Barry's place alongside McCarthy. I really think the lads gonna be quality.

he's only 21, think he'll get a good 20 odd games at least, there probably won't be much between them, but i think barry being picked for the bigger games would fill me with more ease until besic gets to grips with how to stop fouling ha. him and mccarthy may be a buzzing (excuse the pun) partnership for years to come though.

They have. But when you consider if Howard gets a bad injury it all turns to [Poor language removed] it shows how vulnerable we are

pretty much any team in the league says that about some positions - even the moneybag teams. i.e. if diego costa gets a bad injury, if debuchy gets a bad injury, if kompany gets a bad injury, if sturridge gets a bad injury, if adebayor gets a bad injury etc.

real madrid have a brilliant first XI, but even they'd struggle with 1 or 2 bad injuries.

I think our squad as it is now is arguably at its peak last season and this season.

Theirs still quite a few players that will probably have to be replaced over the next couple of seasons.

I feel we'll probably be needing to shop for a couple of defender's next summer

Personally, I see a squad that has 2 senior players in every position on the pitch, with 3 in the number 10 role and centre forward. Theoretically speaking, that should be enough, especially when supplemented at times by the likes of Browning, Garbutt, Ledson etc who Martinez seems to think may all have an role to play this season.

It's the best squad I can remember and it's the biggest squad I can remember us having and I think we're right to be cautiously optimistic, given that Premier League teams are only allowed to name 25 man squads these days (excluding U21 players), how many of our rivals have significantly bigger 1st team squads assembled?

Its bigger if you properly include some of the youth that are closer than you think.

Exclude Hibbert

Big gamble. He paid £150K on an Irish kid. Why wasn'y he tested preseason given it's a weak area for us?

Avg 27 years for a squad seems pretty high to me.

Dave, a little test for you. Go back to the big side in the mid 80s under HK. What was their average age.

The older players.

Adopt the "two in two out" philosophy.

Next two out. Distin and Hibbert.

Next two in... Martinez keeping those cards close to his chest

Big gamble. He paid £150K on an Irish kid. Why wasn'y he tested preseason given it's a weak area for us?

Avg 27 years for a squad seems pretty high to me.

I think he's comfortable with Stones playing there - maybe he'll move for someone. It'd be nice to have the cover, but I don't think we're desperate. I think it's almost certain he'll save 1 or 2 loans for Jan if there's positions that need back-up.

And as for the average age, it really isn't. 27 is the age when the majority of their players are at their peak - ergo, squad at it's peak. We've got one of the best young core of a team in the country at the moment in:
- Coleman
- Stones
- McCarthy
- Barkley
- Lukaku

With any luck those players will be the spine of our team for years to come. Add to that Atsu (obviously a loan but if he impresses I think he'll be bought), Besic, Oviedo, Garbutt, Browning, Galloway etc.

Then factor in experienced players - Baines, Gibbo, Barry, Howard (who's got at least another 2 years in him), Jags, Mirallas, Eto'o, Pienaar, McGeady

Yes there's a few on their last legs - Distin, Kone, Alcaraz, Ossie and some who may never be good enough - Robles, Duffy - but that's a very balanced and strong squad (injuries not taken into account).

I'd like to see us bring in 1 more midfielder, and, if possible, a versatile defender. I'd love us to sign Shaqiri and Van Dijk - but that does seem pretty unlikely, so I won't be disappointed when it doesn't happen. Confident there'll be one more in at least. If not, it's a shame, but not the end of the world.

Just saying like

I didn't include them because I don't really think that we'll see them this season unless we have an injury crisis.

I suppose Arsenal can interchange Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil, Santi Cazorla, Arteta and Flamini in their central midfield without really compromising on quality, whereas we're not quite at that level yet. Our options are definitely improving though.

There is a cause for concern in the current squad, and I simply do not see the money being there to properly replace two first team players in 12 months time if lets say and god forbid a couple of our regulars get severe injuries that see them retired. Simply put, and this is just to make an example but if Distin and Barry both got ACL injuries at some point this season that'd be them done as pro's.
Having such an over 30's laden squad/first eleven is heaping risk onto risk, we have a great core of early 20's players but could we put a side together out of them? it'd be a real stretch.

If I was going to scrutinize our squad, there's only two players I really don't want in it. Hibbert, because although very capable in the past, he isn't anymore and shouldn't be able to live off it, and Alcaraz, because I just don't think he's good enough. The former will stay because Seamus can't play 100 games a season, the latter hopefully won't be offered a new deal and will leave end of the season.

I think Osman is still a useful player especially to bring on last 20, and Robles might actually turn out to be decent if he grows hands, he's got time on his side anyway.

My priority for next season would be a new centre back. I'd argue that we're a door unlocking attacking mid away from champions league though.

There is a cause for concern in the current squad, and I simply do not see the money being there to properly replace two first team players in 12 months time if lets say and god forbid a couple of our regulars get severe injuries that see them retired. Simply put, and this is just to make an example but if Distin and Barry both got ACL injuries at some point this season that'd be them done as pro's.
Having such an over 30's laden squad/first eleven is heaping risk onto risk, we have a great core of early 20's players but could we put a side together out of them? it'd be a real stretch.

We're not any more reliant than say, Chelsea, or even Arsenal though. I think the players that we (may) bring in will be of the 22-26 age though - can't see us loaning another over 30

This is a rough list of what we currently have available listed with their ages.

Howard 35
Robles 24
Coleman 25
Hibbert 33
Oviedo 24
Baines 29
Jagielka 32
Distin 36
Alcaraz 32
Stones 20
Gibson 26
Barry 33
McCarthy 23
Besic 21
Mirallas 26
Pienaar 32
Atsu 22
McGeady 28
Osman 33
Barkley 20
Naismith 27
Lukaku 21
Eto 33
Kone 30

10 Players need to be replaced within the next 5 years roughly. The greatest concern here is that we probably need to roughly replace around 8 players within the next 3 years. However I think it might be do-able if we sign into those positions (which I think will happen) over the next few years. We have the young talent already in place hopefully that might fill the key positions over the next few years. The area I have most concern about is at the back...but at the same time we have a few coming through by the looks of it (Galloway, Garbutt etc).

Robles 24
Coleman 25
Stones 20
Duffy 22
Oviedo 24
McCarthy 23
Besic 21
Barkley 20
Mirallas 26
Atsu 22
Lukaku 21

This is a team we will never field...but its a team that are mostly made up out of our younger players with Mirallas as the eldest in it...roughly an indication of where we are going into the future. Average age = 22.54 years old. Given that few players listed there might not be ideal BUT point is...I cant remember when in the past we could field a team of roughly 22.5 years of average age and look at it and think thats not a terrible team. The potential in that lot is high and around those players one can build a very good team for the future. Yes we havent signed Atsu on a permamnent but think if he playes well this season we most probably will.

Personally I think we have a very bright future ahead of us...and I trust in our manager to fill the gaps over time and at the same time plan for the future...as he seems to be doing just that at the moment...and it wont happen overnight BUT I think by next year this time it will even look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.