Martinez IN Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what frustrates and angers us Evertonians is the fact that Roberto seems unwilling to sacrifice his philosophy in order to win football matches. If something is broken you fix it.

I hate to say it, But Rodgers swallowed his pride, saw something was wrong and adjusted to his team accordingly. Martinez is unwilling to do that which is sucking the life out of this football club.

I have backed the manager but it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend him.

Exactly mate. It's a recipe for disaster.

Martin most definitely IN.
At the moment I don't think there's an alternative to Martinez, but is Rodgers still a fraud, if so, what does that make Bobby?

That's all it can be. But that is (as I've always maintained...I'm not just saying this now) also contingent on what goes on below us. If teams are dead in the relegation spots, then that's job done (obviously a horrendous thing to have to say, but nevertheless that's where we are right now in this terrible season)

IN : Roberto
OUT: Howard, Barry and 3 or 4 others replaced by talent that can play Roberto's style

....the one style he's got, the only style he knows how to play, that one?

Surely the ability to adapt is a trait all managers should have, yes?

And he hasn't got that, sadly.

Someone who spent a fraction of what Rodgers got to spend.

He's had a nightmare season. What are we though if we cant stand by a manager who gave us last season's experiences? Answer: Kopites.
Irregardless of what Brenda blew her wad on, once the season starts its 11 men on the pitch. Rodgers has turned the rs's fortunes around, whether that was luck or not- their form has massively improved. Bobby isn't even trying to mix it up, and that's ridiculous.
When would you pull the trigger? Only if we went in the bottom 3?
As for calling anyone who disagrees with you a kopite.. (n)

Irregardless of what Brenda blew her wad on, once the season starts its 11 men on the pitch. Rodgers has turned the rs's fortunes around, whether that was luck or not- their form has massively improved. Bobby isn't even trying to mix it up, and that's ridiculous.
When would you pull the trigger? Only if we went in the bottom 3?
As for calling anyone who disagrees with you a kopite.. (n)
It's Kopite behaviour: see Hodgson sacking. Houllier sacking....

Stand by your manager.

We're almost safe in any case. Another 8 points and that's it.

Kneejerkers will kill us if they get their way and have some sh1t caretaker come in at this stage.

DAVEK...

Are you serious mate? You seem to be tarring all who oppose your view as 'kneejerkers'. The definition of which, BTW, is 'automatic/unthinking reaction'...

This isn't unthinking, and by the very nature of following the season, it isn't automatic either...

As I said yesterday, I like him, I supported him, and now I can't and I'm actually rather gutted I find myself here, at this juncture. In an earlier exchange you also mentioned that 'facts/figures'don't lie. No, Dave, they don't. They often repeat though (WIGAN/SWANSEA?)

It's OK to be wrong mate, I'm accepting I was. Probably. But if you can honestly say you've confidence in him now then you're seriously misguided. And you seem almost blase in saying 'we're almost safe in any case'. Again, facts/figures...

Heads are down, fan wise, player wise & manager wise. He's starting to look like a man under pressure.

He done SO much good and the future looked bright.

Now though....pffffffff.

It's Kopite behaviour: see Hodgson sacking. Houllier sacking....
Manc behaviour too- see Moyes, see Mancini at City. Tottenham behaviour, Crystal palace behaviour, west brom. All teams that are currently above us, and not all backed by mega money.
I just think we deserve better and some honesty from the team & manager.

'Kopite behaviour' wanting better for the club, grow up.

You nailed your colours firmly on the mast and you'd look foolish to jump from that opinion now.

As for those saying sacking him now would be a disaster, I'm sure Wigan fans would have taken the gamble to stay in the league by sacking him with 10 games to save themselves.

His unwillingness to change his tactics, team, etc unless forced to (Barry suspension, injuries) is most worrying.

I think what frustrates and angers us Evertonians is the fact that Roberto seems unwilling to sacrifice his philosophy in order to win football matches. If something is broken you fix it.

I hate to say it, But Rogers swallowed his pride, saw something was wrong and adjusted to his team accordingly. Martinez is unwilling to do that which is sucking the life out of this football club.

I have backed the manager but it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend him.

I'm not sure it's his "philosophy" that's the problem. I don't have a problem with playing out from the back, playing possession football etc. I really enjoyed last season's performances and they were consistent with his philosophy.

The problem for me is unrelated to that, and has more to do with tactical ineptitude and poor decision making. We've lined up far too many times this season with players playing out of position, a total lack of width, and a midfield that retains possession without ever looking threatening. Martinez's biggest failure in my eyes is his failure to recognize this and do something to change it.

Add to this the decision to bring the hapless Howard back when Robles was doing a fine job, the fact that I've never seen Everton players look more demotivated, and a catalogue of misfires in the transfer market, and you have a pretty clear idea of the bad job he's doing.

I went to the Arsenal Wigan game at the end of Martinez's last season at Wigan, and watched him watch his chaotic side lose 4-1. Even having been at Goodison when they beat us 3-0 on the way to win the cup, I was still devastated that he was being touted as our next manager. He struck me as tactically naive as well as a bit delusional. This opinion hasn't really changed; last season I found his post-match interviews a bit weird, this season I've found them hard to watch.

It's a real shame because there was something special about the attacking football we played last season, but I think it was built on the solid foundation that Moyes left behind, and I also think we got lucky a lot. This season it hasn't worked out that way, and Martinez doesn't know what to do about it. I don't think we'll go down whether he stays or goes, and I don't really care whether he goes now or at the end of the season, but I believe we can do much better. NSNO.

Status
Not open for further replies.