Martinez IN Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheodoreDonaldKerabatsos

Player Valuation: £225k
With all the understandable negativity swirling around I thought perhaps I should offer the opinion of a supporter who thinks perhaps now isn't the time to get rid of Martinez. Not yet anyway.

Its been an awful season. Made even more depressing by the hope last season gave us. A record points total coupled with the nucleus of a young and hungry squad. This season promised so much.

Its hard to pinpoint exactly whats gone wrong this year. An underwhelming front line, dressing room discontent, experienced players out of form. Niggling injuries, long-term injuries and a Europa league campaign. Most worrying though is a lack of a plan B. It still feels like our season hasn't started.

There is definitely troubles in the dressing room. Senior pro's have spoken out. Distin perhaps hasn't been the model-pro he's been lauded in the past. Baines, Howard, Jagielka, Barry have all had their worst season in a decade, all at once. Coleman, Barkley and Lukaku have all struggled with fragile confidence. You cant blame Martinez for being stubborn, yet not place any blame at the same group of players who were so good for him last season.

Looking through the Martinez replacement thread provides all the evidence you need to keep Martinez. Its an insipid list. Seriously, Joe Royle until the end of the season shouts are laughable.

What people perhaps need to realise is a couple of things. Firstly the squads approaching an over haul, the biggest its had since Moyes cleared the decks. This isn't Martinez's team yet. He inherited most of what you'd consider our experienced performers. I think the choices he makes in the summer, after this season, will go a long way to telling us whether he's up to it.

The second and perhaps most important point is that when we appointed him we got potential. We didn't get a manager in his mid 50's who's managed at the top level for 15 years. We got potential. Much like Moyes he's going to make mistakes and get things wrong. He's made mistakes this season, tactically, what he's spouted to the media and behind closed doors. But when you employ someone like that you have to accept that he's training on the job. Whether thats OK for a club like Everton is another debate. But if he learns and gets it right then you end up with a manager at a level you wouldn't of been able to attract in the first place. We gave him a 5 year deal in the summer for a reason, and NO ONE blinked.

If we finish this season 16th. Progress another round in the Europa. Then I'm patient enough to start next season with the hope that this season was a blip. I think its important that the players know that we are sticking with the manager in the medium term.

I imagine being a supporter of Martinez places me now firmly in the minority. I didn't think he was the second coming of Christ last year, but I also don't think he's the worst manager in the league now. So accept why people might want rid. But I dont think its fantasy that we have a good transfer window and get 72 points again next year.

I would've been with you a few weeks back... but the lack of plan B is a killer... and it will get him.
We only lost Del Boy over the summer, he doesn't make a 20 point difference to this team... he's lost it sadly

Expect the haters to show up soon, but I'm with you.
There are also eleven players on the park with an on field captain so let's not dump all blame on Roberto.
And here's me thinking it's the manager who picks the team and not the players themselves.

And here's me thinking it's the manager who picks the team and not the players themselves.

Really that's all you've got??

He picks the side and sends them out to win the game, the rest in theory is up to them, led by the on field captain (who I believe is a pile of dog poop as a captain) with as much guidance as can be given from the sideline.

So yes the 11 players on the pitch have to man up and shoulder some responsibility for the mess we're currently in.

crickets-humping.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.