The Grauniad says:
"The governing body’s chief executive, Martin Glenn, said the decision to terminate Sampson’s contract was obvious after he became aware of the “full detail” of inappropriate relationships the Welshman had with female players while he was manager of Bristol Academy.
It is the second time in less than a year that Glenn has been forced to hold a hastily convened press conference to explain the departure of an England manager for off-field reasons. Questions about whether due diligence was done in the hiring of Sampson are bound to be asked, particularly as it comes almost 12 months to the day since Sam Allardyce departed after a newspaper sting.
It is understood claims made by the former England striker Eni Aluko to the Guardian of bullying, harassment and racial remarks prompted a whistleblower outside the FA to urge Glenn to read the full report into safeguarding allegations made against Sampson.
The allegations relate to Sampson’s time at Bristol Academy, where he worked first with 10- to 16-year-olds at the centre of excellence and later as the senior first-team coach. The allegations were made by more than one player and are said by the FA chairman, Greg Clarke, to range from the “trivial to the very serious”.
Sampson was deemed fit to continue as England manager after the FA’s safeguarding and investigations team conducted inquiries when the allegations were first made in March 2014. Glenn, who joined the FA 12 months after that, insists he was first told of the investigation in October 2015. He read the full report only last Wednesday and later passed it on to Clarke.
Glenn admitted regret that Sampson had been allowed to occupy a position of such power and influence for almost four years. “There was a full investigation, a proper investigation, an assessment process and when the report concluded in March 2015 he was deemed not to be a safeguarding risk,” Glenn said. “However, the full report of that investigation was only made known to me last week.
“On reading it I immediately shared it with Greg and we were both deeply concerned with the contents of the report. Let’s be really clear: no laws were broken; Greg and I are not able to challenge the professional views of our safeguarding experts. We thought the conduct issues raised in the report was the problem. Mark had overstepped the professional boundaries between player and coach. We know that coaches are in a potential position of power and that position mustn’t be abused. We have to be really clear and I think we are at the FA, about what we stand for in that respect.”"
All clear then....