2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope your right, but a lot of his options seem poor.
But who knows whats really going on, plans in store etc
Tonight was very disappointing though, no closer, no decent football in sight.
I'd say Iwobi and Kean look decent buys. Richarlison has his limitations as a player currently but is still 22 and has a double digit goal season on his record. There's pieces to work with. At the very least there's more than 1 goal in 3 in the squad.

Learn how to get results away from home and learn how to win from behind. He will be okay if he can figure those out. It’s up to him to make some tough decisions

Pickford
Sidibe Keane Mina Digne
Gomes Gbamin
Richarlison Iwobi Bernard
Kean

Do it once Gbamin is back.
There is definitely a sense that Silva's tactics work on the whiteboard but not in the reality of the match.
Have been arguing for a while now that there are elements of his strategy they are easily worked out by opp coaches
From there it falls apart, players lose their way, to manage the game, to simply play football.

He did change something tonight though.
He brought on the two new players with Keane moving vertically and Iwobi more laterally.
So at least he changed up the movement a bit.

But it really hasn't solved the problem of the 2 (Gomes and Schnide)
While there was a bit more dynamic movement from the 60min
overall its still static, ie two feeding four
the opp is quite happy to let it go wide to the consistent overloading fullbacks out wide
just read the movement and anticipate the passes coming into the four.

there has to be three instead of two, with one moving into and changing the dynamics of the 3 forwards.
obviously its not always the same one moving in.
This stuff doesn't need to be secretive, they just need to play bloody footy, its not as if they can't do it.
Because it gives him options to fix the attack. I mean if we suddenly start creating regular chances and scoring goals do to adjustments in team selection or tactics that goes to him at least a bit. Yeah the players might just be better but he still has to use them.
2021 then
The way I see it is, I liken us a bit like spurs from 5/6/7 years ago. Bought some rubbish and bought some very good young players. Who eventually started to gel, is poch a great manger or a lucky one who took over at the right time.

Players like rose & walker took about 3 or 4 years to become very good players, the Belgian centre backs were shrewd buys, dembele in midfield struggled in his early season, as did eriksen & Son. It was only 6 years they were getting beat 5 at home v Liverpool

With Brands buying mainly young players, will it be another manger who maybe see’s the last couple of cherries bought for the cake. And gets the success, that maybe silva started, personally I hope silva is give 3 or 4 season, I like him as a manger, i by some his comments her wanted a couple more players.

I’m not going to be all negative 3 games in, though 4 points is disappointing. I thought we could definitely challenge top 6 this season. And I still do, but it was going to be imperative we didn’t suffer injuries and have our best 11 available every week, we’ll unfortunately that’s going a bit pear shaped at the moment.

Gomes was shocking, but I don’t believe he works well with Schneiderlin or in the system with siggurdsson, 433 for me moving forward. And if we look at the starting 11 tonight, this time next season I see. One new CB, new RB Gbamin plus another midfielder. And another forward/wide attacker. So that’s basically 5 players.

This team still has a long way to go,
Did he screw it up massively today with his team selection? Yep.

Does he deserve to be sacked because of this? Absolutely not. And I don't even like the guy.

Today was a very good chance to go top of the league and for a lot of us to take screenshots to remember the occasion. For whatever reason we looked lethargic and just so crap. That has to fall on Silva as it's his job to get them focused.

Can he, for the love of GOD, please stop choosing DCL over Kean tho? If he wants that to be the hill he wants to die on, so be it. It makes absolutely no sense to keep on choosing a player who contributes the squre root of FA tho. He's a one in EIGHT striker ffs!
I'd say Iwobi and Kean look decent buys. Richarlison has his limitations as a player currently but is still 22 and has a double digit goal season on his record. There's pieces to work with. At the very least there's more than 1 goal in 3 in the squad.

Here are the buys under Brands/Silva

????
???? ???? Mina Digne
Gbamin Gomes
Iwobi
Richarlison Kean Bernard

Ive not included Lossl/Delph as they will be squad players.

A few points:

1 -- Were a lot deeper than last season as we havent signed a CB with pace.

2 -- The options to change things up are DCL / Sigurdsson / Schneiderlin / Davies / Walcott. None of these players were signed by Brands/Silva (Delph of course is one option) Now all of them are slated by most of the fanbase.

3 -- Gbamin injured / Delph injured / Kean adapting / Iwobi hasnt been at the club long.

4 -- We need 2 new defensive players. Two more midfielders and two more options in attack = 6 players.

5 -- In 2021 Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Walcott will all be out of contract, meaning next summer if we can loan them for a season we will be saving approx £300k a week. Not to mention Baines, Mirallas, Cuco and Niasse being off at the end of this season saving us approx £150k a week. We need these players (and more) off the books.

I said at the end of last season we will only start seeing the team after 3 summers of Brands/Silva. This season is about bedding in new signings and then continuing to develop and pushing up the table...there isnt a quick fix.

January + next summer we need 6 new players signed. If we can achieve this then we should be aiming for the top 6, otherwise our squad has awful options beyond the 1st 11.

I think we need 2 more summer windows before Brands has brought in the players to challenge top 4.

Here are the buys under Brands/Silva

????
???? ???? Mina Digne
Gbamin Gomes
Iwobi
Richarlison Kean Bernard

Ive not included Lossl/Delph as they will be squad players.

A few points:

1 -- Were a lot deeper than last season as we havent signed a CB with pace.

2 -- The options to change things up are DCL / Sigurdsson / Schneiderlin / Davies / Walcott. None of these players were signed by Brands/Silva (Delph of course is one option) Now all of them are slated by most of the fanbase.

3 -- Gbamin injured / Delph injured / Kean adapting / Iwobi hasnt been at the club long.

4 -- We need 2 new defensive players. Two more midfielders and two more options in attack = 6 players.

5 -- In 2021 Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Walcott will all be out of contract, meaning next summer if we can loan them for a season we will be saving approx £300k a week. Not to mention Baines, Mirallas, Cuco and Niasse being off at the end of this season saving us approx £150k a week. We need these players (and more) off the books.

I said at the end of last season we will only start seeing the team after 3 summers of Brands/Silva. This season is about bedding in new signings and then continuing to develop and pushing up the table...there isnt a quick fix.

January + next summer we need 6 new players signed. If we can achieve this then we should be aiming for the top 6, otherwise our squad has awful options beyond the 1st 11.

I think we need 2 more summer windows before Brands has brought in the players to challenge top 4.
After tonight I wouldn't be so quick to pencil in Gomes over Delph

Also I know Pickford wasn't bought by Brands but he's our keeper for the foreseeable future.

Silva has dropped dramatically in my estimation. Whatever he does in the next game shows him either to be reactive or RM level stubborn. This result was on the cards with the lineup he put up.

Sig and Rich aren’t firing and DCL never will. If we went behind there was every chance we would lose or draw at the very best.

The game was begging for Davies at half time. But no. Take off the only attacker actually playing decently in Bernard, take of Sig (who is by far the most creative in spite of being out of touch) and leave us with the most pedestrian midfield possible.

I hope Silva is just reactive and not stubborn else we are truly poked!

Silva has dropped dramatically in my estimation. Whatever he does in the next game shows him either to be reactive or RM level stubborn. This result was on the cards with the lineup he put up.

Sig and Rich aren’t firing and DCL never will. If we went behind there was every chance we would lose or draw at the very best.

The game was begging for Davies at half time. But no. Take off the only attacker actually playing decently in Bernard, take of Sig (who is by far the most creative in spite of being out of touch) and leave us with the most pedestrian midfield possible.

Agree with Tom Davies. Needs to play. Brings energy and can pick a decisive pass forward. I know it’s cool to label him crap and “Championship level at best”, but I’ve never subscribed to those views. Needs to play.

After tonight I wouldn't be so quick to pencil in Gomes over Delph

Also I know Pickford wasn't bought by Brands but he's our keeper for the foreseeable future.

I wrote in the Central midfield thread that I see Gomes + 1 other as rotation options as hes either great or not good ar all.

I think this is how we will all feel by season end with a view of us in 2 seasons time:

GK -- Pickford / Lossl / Virginia

RB -- ??? / Kenny

CB -- Mina / ??? / Keane / Gibson

LB -- Digne / ???

DM -- Gbamin / ???

CM -- Gomes / ??? / Davies

AM -- Iwobi / ???

RF -- Richarlison / ???

CF -- Kean / ??? / DCL

LF -- Bernard / ???

That shows were 9 players short if we look ahead two seasons...it also factors in Kenny doing well on loan for 2 seasons before coming back as back up + Gibson coming through.

I think we need 6 players signed in Jan + next summer and then 3 more in the following 12 months with a view (as Brands mentioned) of then 3 in/out of the squad each summer going forward.

Having said that, we do have players like Richarlison and Iwobi who can play multiple positions so we could probably do ok with

1 New Right back
1 New Centre back
1 New Left back
1 New Defensive midfielder / Central midfielder
1 New Attacking midfielder

5 players in the next two windows to give the squad depth on key positions.

We know that the urgent requirements were Doucoure (DM/CM) Zouma (CB) Zaha (probably filled by Iwobi) and a right footed left forward.

I expect us to be after those 3 in Jan with another 2 or 3 in the summer.

Not unrealistic imo.

You've stated that you find Silva to be reactive, however a reactive manager would have taken off Gomes and DCL.

Also highlighted that hes a stubborn manager but one of those would have kept Gylfi on and stuck with the same formation.

Instead, hes taken off Bernard / Gylfi / Richarlison and thrown in Iwobi / Kean (both short of match fitness) and Walcott (to utilise his pace).

Aside from your Davies option, what other players could he have introduced....who could turn the game?

I'll answer it....none. the players he wanted which he stated were a DM/CM (Doucoure) and a left footed wide player along with a CB (Zouma) were not signed.

The squad has limited depth.

Taking Bernard off was crazy! He looked so lively and sharp. Him and Digne were our main threat and that was gone. Also felt sorry for Sig, he was the one I would have left on to pick some passes from deeper, Gomes should have been hooked he was shocking!

Agree with Tom Davies. Needs to play. Brings energy and can pick a decisive pass forward. I know it’s cool to label him crap and “Championship level at best”, but I’ve never subscribed to those views. Needs to play.

Indeed ain't it odd they picked us off like Millwall...

Way to easy for them... They just sheppard and frustrated us all night long nothing came straight down the middle with strength and pace.

Who’s available?

That’s 3 woeful performances. Last night was beyond unacceptable. The players don’t appear to be playing for him. Gomes looked like he didn’t want to be there.
He needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.