Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

not my first choice but I'll get behind him.
Yea, he didn't keep hull up but the ownership there was crazy, he was playing passing football on a rugby pitch, he inherited a complete mess of a side and had to rely on loan signings. If you average out his results over the season, he'd have easily kept them up.
He took that Hull side to the semis of the league cup, beating united in one of the legs and he managed to beat the RS.

Then he managed to get Watford ticking well, his defense is questionable but you really need high caliber defenders to succeed at the back with that style of football. Hopefully the club backs him to buy some decent defenders.

Also, given that we don't have a whole pile of world cup players, and we're not in the stupid early european stages, he has the chance to put a good preseason together. All he has to do is avoid spending all his money on 3 players for the same position and hope the fixture list is kinder than last season and he'll do alright.

Natural order of where we are st the moment. We can’t shop in the Emery bracket yet. Who knows though, Silva could be a Pochettino figure for us. He has the talent to be worth a shot if we recruit correctly. Least I’d be excited for next season with him at the helm rather than Allardyce Koeman Moyes type.

My worry with Silva is the same with Dyche - both done well in a season where the usual top 10 were in disarray- Everton, Stoke, Southampton and West Ham.

If West Ham and Southampton have decent seasons along with a suprise package would Silva have us anywhere near 6/7th or more around 10th/11th?

Thats my concern he was going relatively okay (bar the defence) in an awful league outside the top 6. With Southampton and West Ham under half decent managers with some decent players and Wolves/Palace who may be suprise packages if the former attracts more players and the latter keeps Zaha perhaps Silva's record wont be as good regardless of the business we do.

Martinez had Lukaku, Barkley and Stones in his starting 11 and still finished 11th whereas we have Tosun, Siggurdsson and Keane...

And Goodison wanted rid of Lukaku, Barkley and especially Stones.
Sigurdsson is twice the player Barkley will ever be, Tosun needs this pre-season and a manager that plays to his strengths (like Roberto did with Lukaku) before he can be compared. Granted, Keane has been absolutely horrendous, whilst Stones was an outstanding prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.