Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
"other factors"

Ok, I'll bite. Elaborate.

Hull were dead and gone when Silva took over. He got them very, very close to safety. Didn't force a style on their side and played a way that suited the players he had available. To get them close to safety was an achievement in itself.

Watford - he had them flying right up until our approach. Even after that, they picked up points. It was the game against United that it fell away a bit and then the ongoing rumours around us. It clearly turned his head, we were offering huge money and we are a far bigger club than Watford. That's when the players started sensing something was amiss (this isn't news btw, it's been well documented). His relationship with the Watford board vanished and they sacked him - that decision cost them close to £12m in the compo we'd offered.

Silva has won things in every other country he's managed in. He did better, comparatively speaking, than Fonseca while they were both in Portugal. He was heavily linked to the Benfica job after he left Watford, and turned down roles at Southampton and Stoke. He wanted us and will know what Moshiri wants of him.

He's not perfect, no. But he is a very promising manager and exactly the type that fits the bill in terms of what we need.

Emery? He isn't really amazing. He did well with Sevilla under Monchi - well, very well, but couldn't hack the step up to PSG. He also doesn't speak any English, which is bound to end up being an issue that would be picked up on should he not hit the ground running. There's also question marks over whether he'd think himself too big for the job.

Tuchel - had the PSG job in the bag for six months. Shame, although he's pish defensively like.

Fonseca - no more proven than Silva.

Conte - no chance, plus he's an egomaniac. Would take him in a second, but if he hates living in London, no chance he's moving up north and dragging his family with him.

Pellegrini - interviewed in 2016, Moshiri wasn't keen. Has been in China and now looks set for West Ham.

Favre - off to Dortmund.

Let me know of any others I've missed, those are just off the top of my head.

A week's a long time in football. We've been on the floor this season and that lot have been riding high on praise from all quarters.

This time next week we'll have all our new movers and shakers in and looking to move quickly before the World Cup starts to shift out / sign players...and Liverpool will have just received a pasting from Madrid and in disarray with Klopp onto his 6th final loss and Salah walking on them.

We can dream, Dave. We can dream.

You put an awful lot of faith in someone who wanted out at the first conceivable opportunity for a club he was at for 4 months.

There's a difference between wanting to jump ship from Watford - where he knew that one bad run of results would see him sacked (as turned out to be the case) and Everton, lad.

I'm not bigging us up. But we're on a different level in terms of stature to that mob.

Who gives a crap if they want to better themselves anyway? You want someone who's happy to be at one club all their career - go get Moyes back? Heck, I've been a massive advocate of Dyche because I do think he'd be a manager who 'gets' Everton, and could build us, but then others say he isn't glamorous enough.

I have plenty of doubts over Silva, but it's clear as day he'll have been working on this for the past few months and, ultimately, it will be - in theory - Brands taking us forward, not just the manager.

We can dream, Dave. We can dream.
THEY-DARED-TO-DREAM-Final-KINDLE-edition-Paul-Tomkins-Daniel-Rhodes-Chris-Rowland-Paul-Little.jpg

Not much doubt that he is coming: even the Mail saying tonight that Moshiri will appoint him this week regardless of the issues with Watford.
Hope Silva has been watching our games for ages, if only so that he has suffered like the rest of us...

Not much doubt that he is coming: even the Mail saying tonight that Moshiri will appoint him this week regardless of the issues with Watford.
Hope Silva has been watching our games for ages, if only so that he has suffered like the rest of us...

For a manager that was highly sought after following his sacking (as I said, Benfica interested, Southampton tried, so did Stoke and I believe Sevilla even touted him at one point - if my Sevilla-supporting colleague is to be believed), then it's all very convenient how quiet it went on Silva's front once Sam's initial fat-manager bounce dropped off and we turned to crap again.

For a manager that was highly sought after following his sacking (as I said, Benfica interested, Southampton tried, so did Stoke and I believe Sevilla even touted him at one point - if my Sevilla-supporting colleague is to be believed), then it's all very convenient how quiet it went on Silva's front once Sam's initial fat-manager bounce dropped off and we turned to crap again.

Indeed. When you consider how fast the revolving door has worked with the usual terrible managers, it is most strange that a young up and coming manager like Silva would not pick up another job pronto. Instead he has rebuffed all suitors, leading to one conclusion: the Everton job has been sorted for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.