• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I’ve never understood is when a player is supposedly not fit enough to play, but will still be on the bench.

Well it's quite simple...

Bernard, for example, hasn't played since March. So there's no way he will be fit to start, because if you start you are expected to play - at the bare minimum - an hour, wouldn't you say? No chance Bernard would be fit to play an hour in the intensity of a PL game. But, he would be fit enough to play 10/20 minutes at the end (as he did).

I think it's fair enough he sticks with the defence that has won. Whats most important though is changes come when mistakes are made. Thats probably what has let all managers down over the years, later Moyes wouldn't drop his favourites, Martinez persevered with Howard too long and we won't go into Allardyce/Koeman.

Digne should start next week. If fit I still think Holgate/Keane have done enough to retain a start but are on thin ground. Coleman likewise but he needs to up his game too.
There's no focus/concentration in that defence when the going gets tough. That's the issue. Yes, some of these players might play ok for the bulk of the game, but when the screw is turned they buckle.

THIS DEFENCE HAS NO CHARACTER.

...and comes on and plays without any problem.

Who came on and played without any issue?

Who was on the bench that you would have played yesterday (apart from Digne, because that's only because of your hatred of Baines).

Baines had played well in the first two games and deserved to start on merit. He was poor yesterday. He won't play on Wednesday or, if he does, it means he won't play next week v Huddersfield.

There's no focus/concentration in that defence when the going gets tough. That's the issue. Yes, some of these players might play ok for the bulk of the game, but when the screw is turned they buckle.

THIS DEFENCE HAS NO CHARACTER.

At the heart of the defence is very young though mate. Yesterday Baines/Coleman didn't provide enough at key moments. It will take time.

Well it's quite simple...

Bernard, for example, hasn't played since March. So there's no way he will be fit to start, because if you start you are expected to play - at the bare minimum - an hour, wouldn't you say? No chance Bernard would be fit to play an hour in the intensity of a PL game. But, he would be fit enough to play 10/20 minutes at the end (as he did).

What happens if you have an injury in the first 10 minutes and that player has to come on to play in a certain position, surely it’s better to have a player on the bench who is up to speed, whilst the unfit player is given more time in training to get up to speed themselves?

At the heart of the defence is very young though mate. Yesterday Baines/Coleman didn't provide enough at key moments. It will take time.
Game to game you can pick out the individual culprits each week. The fact is, as a unit they aren't good enough for Everton. Silva knows this and it's why he signed two CBs and a LB.

I suggest he plays the two that are there and available.

What happens if you have an injury in the first 10 minutes and that player has to come on to play in a certain position, surely it’s better to have a player on the bench who is up to speed, whilst the unfit player is given more time in training to get up to speed themselves?
Did find it strange that Bernard didn’t get a run out for the U23’s, surely that would’ve helped him fitness wise, more so than 15 minutes against Bournemouth.

I understand that mate, which is why - in an ideal world - you have players who are match-ready and versatile.

It's probably why Dowell was on the bench yesterday (regardless of the Lookman going or staying situation).

Dowell has at least had a full preseason of games and training, so he's fit. He can cover the midfield or, if really needed, the wings. So let's say that Davies or Richarlison had got injured early on, he could have come on and covered.

Had it been in the last 20/30, then we could have lobbed Bernard on.

I get what you and Dave are saying, but it's really not as simple as that anymore, what with the management of fitness etc. It's all about margins and judging how players can operate at their best and for how long.

I'd imagine we'll see Bernard start on Wednesday, and have at least an hour.

Did find it strange that Bernard didn’t get a run out for the U23’s, surely that would’ve helped him fitness wise, more so than 15 minutes against Bournemouth.

Who would we have put on the bench instead of him? Lookman isn't involved - for whatever reason - and we have injuries. The alternative would have been Sandro and everyone would have fumed at that.

15 minutes in an intense PL game will be better to introduce him to the first team than an U23s match.

Most Evertonians still have Bainsey in any EPL composite 1st XI. They have Seamus in that team’s RB position.
Me? I’m a dyed-in-the-wool Blue, but I don’t think either are good enough to be in that team. I think that maybe if we could convince Pienaar to sign on a long contract (5 years?), we could once again see Bainsey at the top of his game, but ...
The other factor that needs considering is the importance of Capt Jags to Bainsey’s and Seamus’ arousal levels. Capt Jags has been absent the past couple of weeks; once he returns we’ll have 3 out of 4 of the Moyesiah’s back-line. That was our ‘golden summer’ period...I can’t wait to see it return...hurry back Capt Jags!!

Oh my you are not joking, are you? Him and Baines should have been moved on some time ago IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.