2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to remember he has been here for 3 years though, also HE chooses not to make the most of the market options by refusing to use the winter window. He has also added to that shambles with a series of poor buys who have come in on large wages and under performed: Bernard, Mina, Gomes, Kean, Delph, Doucoure, all of whom are imo just very meh type of players and i am still waiting to see something from any of them. The happy clappers on here will give it all about how much we can sell these players for in the future but tbh i don't give a flying **** i care about what they do on the pitch, that is why we buy them in the first place, and so far Richarlison/Digne aside his buys have been pretty average. Another point often missed is that he was brought in to sort out the shambles of a squad and, yes he has moved on a fair few players but the key deadwood that are really strangling the club are all still here. However we probably do need a period of stability but we HAVE to sort are recruitment out one and for all as its woeful at the moment.
As for any shouts for sacking the manager at the moment that's crazy, we are only 10 games into the season and it would be nice to see the manager last the full term but he certainly needs to up his game a bit.

Only 2 players on the pitch yesterday were not signed under Brands tenure

BU BU BU DAT NASTY WALSH MAN IS AT FAULT

You need to remember he has been here for 3 years though, also HE chooses not to make the most of the market options by refusing to use the winter window. He has also added to that shambles with a series of poor buys who have come in on large wages and under performed: Bernard, Mina, Gomes, Kean, Delph, Doucoure, all of whom are imo just very meh type of players and i am still waiting to see something from any of them. The happy clappers on here will give it all about how much we can sell these players for in the future but tbh i don't give a flying **** i care about what they do on the pitch, that is why we buy them in the first place, and so far Richarlison/Digne aside his buys have been pretty average. Another point often missed is that he was brought in to sort out the shambles of a squad and, yes he has moved on a fair few players but the key deadwood that are really strangling the club are all still here. However we probably do need a period of stability but we HAVE to sort our recruitment out once and for all as its woeful at the moment.
As for any shouts for sacking the manager at the moment that's crazy, we are only 10 games into the season and it would be nice to see the manager last the full term but he certainly needs to up his game a bit.

I'm not saying he's the Messiah, I just think that we have a bit of a bad patch and some are straight on here going for the jugular. I'm Defo not saying he can't do better, and his Jan window aversion really does bother me - it's clear we must go in the market this jan, especially with this season's winter window being so important.

I don't think you are being fair with most of his signings, and I think there were a number of suitors for many we managed to get in - Mina, Kean, Bernard were all considered coups - it's just our luck that they haven't fulfilled their potential, as yet. Iwobi was an odd one but Delph has been his biggest stinker for me - a complete mercenary, nothing player.

It's miles to early to call off on Kean and Doucoure as busted flushes, and Doucs is a clear upgrade on what we had, so I can't agree with you there.

He has cleared a lot of the dross left from Walsh and koeman, and maybe he could have done more, but then he
can't make a team sign gylfi or tosun while they have little to no inclination of leaving us and want to sit on their ridiculous wages doing sod all.

Carlo can also do better (pick players for the system/positions etc), and so can brands, but some of the comments calling for their heads after these recent poor results, are just bloody stupid.

Errr..

Keane, Pickford, Holgate, DCL & Davies were all here pre-Brands. I make that 5?

Davies wasn't signed by anyone

Fair enough DCL makes it 3.

All our subs were also Brands and all did nothing as per.

People can keep backing the bloke - he'll just spunk another £250 million in the next 3 years of a potential new deal and we'll still be finishing nowhere near europe.

Davies wasn't signed by anyone

Fair enough DCL makes it 3.

All our subs were also Brands and all did nothing as per.

People can keep backing the bloke - he'll just spunk another £250 million in the next 3 years of a potential new deal and we'll still be finishing nowhere near europe.

Why you ignoring Keane, Holgate & Pickford as well but still counting to 3? lol

Very difficult to have an opinion on a DoF but my intuition is that he's probably good at most things to do with the role but hasn't done very well at the most important part: identifying and signing players.

I'm not saying he's the Messiah, I just think that we have a bit of a bad patch and some are straight on here going for the jugular. I'm Defo not saying he can't do better, and his Jan window aversion really does bother me - it's clear we must go in the market this jan, especially with this season's winter window being so important.

I don't think you are being fair with most of his signings, and I think there were a number of suitors for many we managed to get in - Mina, Kean, Bernard were all considered coups - it's just our luck that they haven't fulfilled their potential, as yet. Iwobi was an odd one but Delph has been his biggest stinker for me - a complete mercenary, nothing player.

It's miles to early to call off on Kean and Doucoure as busted flushes, and Doucs is a clear upgrade on what we had, so I can't agree with you there.

He has cleared a lot of the dross left from Walsh and koeman, and maybe he could have done more, but then he
can't make a team sign gylfi or tosun while they have little to no inclination of leaving us and want to sit on their ridiculous wages doing sod all.

Carlo can also do better (pick players for the system/positions etc), and so can brands, but some of the comments calling for their heads after these recent poor results, are just bloody stupid.
Who considered these players coups? that is pure BS mate, i mean the golden rule of transfers is never buy off the back of a tournament (Mina) players raise their games for World Cups. If we wanted a talented Italian youngster we would have gone for Tonali or Zaniolo who are considered levels above what Kean is and he is a busted flush (as you put it) because there is no way in hell he will come back here now he is scoring goals at PSG, he is popular there and is appreciated. Bernard was rubbish in Russia and has been rubbish here, if you look at his stats for Shaktar they are rank average. Doucoure has never done anything out of the norm at Watford, he runs around a lot, scores the odd goal, that's it, I mean just go back on here and see how many folk did'nt want to sign him, yet the club have been trying for the last couple of years, i did'nt see any other clubs rushing to sign him.
I said before i think at the moment we need to stick with what we have but im not convinced about Brands getting another contract, i think we need to play out the full season though.

It's unknown if the manager was happy with Coleman and Kenny to be his two right backs if he wasn't and he doesn't seem to be with Kenny then yes another RB should have been brought in even on loan .
It seems as though the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Coleman hasn't been reliable for three years now, and Kenny spent last season out on loan because he fell behind Sidibe, who was himself deemed not good enough to buy at a fairly modest price. Did Brands expect that Coleman's long-standing fitness problems would somehow improve as he moved deeper into his thirties?

Similarly, if Nkounkou isn't considered a senior player, it means that there's no back-up to Digne. Did neither the manager nor the director of football feel like this could be an issue over the course of a truncated season?

Meanwhile, the academy can't even produce a couple of Hibberts to do a job in an emergency.

Maybe I just haven't grasped what Brands's role actually entails, but it was my understanding that he was supposed to take the entire football side of the operation in hand.

Coleman hasn't been reliable for three years now, and Kenny spent last season out on loan because he fell behind Sidibe, who was himself deemed not good enough to buy at a fairly modest price. Did Brands expect that Coleman's long-standing fitness problems would somehow improve as he moved deeper into his thirties?

Similarly, if Nkounkou isn't considered a senior player, it means that there's no back-up to Digne. Did neither the manager nor the director of football feel like this could be an issue over the course of a truncated season?

Meanwhile, the academy can't even produce a couple of Hibberts to do a job in an emergency.

Maybe I just haven't grasped what Brands's role actually entails, but it was my understanding that he was supposed to take the entire football side of the operation in hand.
Totally agree with your post especially the gaps not being filled in the u23s and to a lesser extent at u18s at right back and left back .and that surely falls to brands ,but also Carlo should know his 1st and 2nd choice and if he's not happy with them then other options should have been bought in

Totally agree with your post especially the gaps not being filled in the u23s and to a lesser extent at u18s at right back and left back .and that surely falls to brands ,but also Carlo should know his 1st and 2nd choice and if he's not happy with them then other options should have been bought in
One thing I'll say in Brands's defence is that he could well be trying to operate within a chaotic, ill-defined chain of command.

When Moshiri came in, it looked as though that KGB fella was going to clean house, but then we had Kenwright, Koeman and Walsh all appearing to make signings for the same position (Rooney, Klaassen and Sigurdsson), and now the head of EitC has somehow ended up being appointed CEO. Add in the fact that the worthless academy is swarming with Kenwright cronies, and you have to wonder who really runs the show.

Who considered these players coups? that is pure BS mate, i mean the golden rule of transfers is never buy off the back of a tournament (Mina) players raise their games for World Cups. If we wanted a talented Italian youngster we would have gone for Tonali or Zaniolo who are considered levels above what Kean is and he is a busted flush (as you put it) because there is no way in hell he will come back here now he is scoring goals at PSG, he is popular there and is appreciated. Bernard was rubbish in Russia and has been rubbish here, if you look at his stats for Shaktar they are rank average. Doucoure has never done anything out of the norm at Watford, he runs around a lot, scores the odd goal, that's it, I mean just go back on here and see how many folk did'nt want to sign him, yet the club have been trying for the last couple of years, i did'nt see any other clubs rushing to sign him.
I said before i think at the moment we need to stick with what we have but im not convinced about Brands getting another contract, i think we need to play out the full season though.
Bernard has never played in Russia. Not sure how you know he was rubbish somewhere, when you don't even know that he played in Ukraine before coming here.

I don't think we just wanted an Italian youngster, we wanted a striker and we got Moise Kean for a decent price considering his potential. He is still highly sought after, hence his loan to a top European side. If he moves to PSG permanently, I would be surprised if we don't make a profit on him.

I'm trying not to criticise but I was also hoping for a clear agenda or role - if our managers are always expected to commit to 'our target is Europe' 'Our target is to compete at the top' as Carlo keeps saying - what is Brands' aim and target?
If i was the board, I would have been hoping for this:
- bring in a consistency of training and playing standards across the club's senior few age groups at least (Improve coaching)
- a strategy on fitness, nutrition and healthcare - this should be there whoever is in charge of the first XI
- transfer strategy - is it an Ajaz / Dortmund / RB leipzig style - buy young, sell high, keep rotating the squad = approach or is it Man City lite or are we trying to build a squad from scratch? If we knew it would help, otherwise we don't understand purchases like Iwobi, Delph and Robin Olsen. Obviously Allan, Doucoure, James are not part of a transfer strategy, but great transfers
- Academy production line and integration to first team - have to be clever and lucky, as with DCL, but I agree - why can't there be at least dependable substitutes for the first team?

Status
Not open for further replies.