2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be no compo Brands is nearing the end of his contract.

Tired of you moaners, want Walsh back? Who will we get to replace Brands? Carlo may point to players but Brands does the finances.

When Bernard, Gomes, Mina and Delph signed, own up which of you guys were rubbing their hands saying good business? Short memories hey? What about the crap he shifted?

You are all the darn same, better to keep the one you know than get some unknown in you don.t know. If there was a better candidate for DOF then Man U would have been in there instead of making noise about our guy.
Not being funny but this line of argument is coming up all the time and it's absolutely batpoo crazy. Do you think Moyes and Martinez used to do all the negotiating of deals themselves?! You can't be paying a director of football just to haggle over prices, there's people already at the club who can do that surely. And if you're better keeping the one you know than getting one you don't, does that mean we should have kept Walsh?

For the first time since Martinez’s first season it feels like we finally have a manager who can take us forward and he’s getting the players he wants. Why would we want to mess with that? We’ve had years of chopping and changing, it’s time for some stability.

The argument might be, if a manager is going to push forward, do we want a DOF like Brands and/or does Brands want to commit to that project?

Linked to United on TS.

Yeah, I know.

My feeling on this, is I wonder if a lot of these links are coming from Brands, as opposed to United?

He hasn't been given a contract yet and the club according to reports are very relaxed about it. It might seem to me, that Brands himself will want that commitment to be put out in terms of a contract.

I mean, if Roma, or United want to unsettle Brands, why would you bother when he is out of contract in 9 months? It seems far more likely, Brands might be doing this.

I hope we keep Brands, but a 12 month extension, maximum 2 years may be sufficient.

There will be no compo Brands is nearing the end of his contract.

Tired of you moaners, want Walsh back? Who will we get to replace Brands? Carlo may point to players but Brands does the finances.

When Bernard, Gomes, Mina and Delph signed, own up which of you guys were rubbing their hands saying good business? Short memories hey? What about the crap he shifted?

You are all the darn same, better to keep the one you know than get some unknown in you don.t know. If there was a better candidate for DOF then Man U would have been in there instead of making noise about our guy.

I thought Bernard, Gomes looked good buys, wasn't sure on Mina because at the end of the day no one knew anything about him apart from some good performances in the world cup, I never thought it was good business considering how much we were paying them in wages. I thought bringing Delph in was daft (as did a lot of other lads on here) because of his injury record (proven right on that)

At the end of the day we can't laud the signings that have worked out without mentioning the ones that haven't worked out.

Last edited:

My feeling on this, is I wonder if a lot of these links are coming from Brands, as opposed to United?

He hasn't been given a contract yet and the club according to reports are very relaxed about it. It might seem to me, that Brands himself will want that commitment to be put out in terms of a contract.

I mean, if Roma, or United want to unsettle Brands, why would you bother when he is out of contract in 9 months? It seems far more likely, Brands might be doing this.

I hope we keep Brands, but a 12 month extension, maximum 2 years may be sufficient.
It's possible tbh although i don't see the links as anymore than paper talk, Brands agent is Raiola and i don't see United being in any hurry to do anything with Mino anytime soon imo.

I think if Brands would've been brought in before Walsh we might have a different story to our current squad and financial aspects.

On the whole, Brands has had to firefight against some of the worst set of managers and players (compared to transfer fees) in our history plus the hiring of Marco Silva was a huge shot in the dark though I feel this was a Moshiri requirement.

I think we can appreciate he has worked wonders in getting rid of the very pricey mistakes and he has been very unfortunate that results on the pitch have been some of our worse in decades.

Transfer-wise, he has been very hit and miss for every good signing there has been a bad one.

Good:
Digne
Richarlison
Zouma
Allen
Doucoure
James

Bad:
Bernard
Iwobi
Delph

Jury is out:
Mina
Gomes
Kean

He had spent very well for a club like us and he has failed to address key positions not filled and leaving us with no cover or ageing players who needed to be shifted on.

All in all, he had done well and I hope he tried to make January a priority to address pass problems with our right back, right wing and forward situation.

If what you're saying is true, 12 months isn't much of a commitment and wouldn't quash the rumours.

Commitment would be replication of the contract or longer terms etc.

I think if Brands would've been brought in before Walsh we might have a different story to our current squad and financial aspects.

On the whole, Brands has had to firefight against some of the worst set of managers and players (compared to transfer fees) in our history plus the hiring of Marco Silva was a huge shot in the dark though I feel this was a Moshiri requirement.

I think we can appreciate he has worked wonders in getting rid of the very pricey mistakes and he has been very unfortunate that results on the pitch have been some of our worse in decades.

Transfer-wise, he has been very hit and miss for every good signing there has been a bad one.

Good:
Digne
Richarlison
Zouma
Allen
Doucoure
James

Bad:
Bernard
Iwobi
Delph

Jury is out:
Mina
Gomes
Kean

He had spent very well for a club like us and he has failed to address key positions not filled and leaving us with no cover or ageing players who needed to be shifted on.

All in all, he had done well and I hope he tried to make January a priority to address pass problems with our right back, right wing and forward situation.
It put Sidibe in with the Bad list, i have never seen a defensive player who was that bad at defending, fine going forward though.

And it's been said to death but once we rid ourselves of some of the deadwood and their crippling contracts, we will be in a good position to present good offers to players.

The timing of it does feel a tad suspicious, we say we're going to look at his contract in January, not long after announcing it this Man U rumour comes out.

I think he's done alrite signings wise to be honest, but I think he constantly leaves us short in certain positions.

Our best signings since he come are digne, Richy and Rodriguez, 2 of them 3 came because the manager in charge at the time as well.

Wouldn't be particularly arsed if he goes as Carlo should be trusted in making transfer decisions anyway

Good:
Digne
Richarlison
Zouma
Allen
Doucoure
James

Bad:
Bernard
Iwobi
Delph

Jury is out:
Mina
Gomes
Kean

Who's he got rid of? Bolasie? No. Sigurdsson? No. Tosun? No. Niasse when his contract ran out. Walcott on loan and still paying half his wages. Sandro paid off. Basically he's got rid of Schneiderlin and Klaassen in 3 years. He couldn't sell gloves to eskimos nevermind ice.

His greatest achievement is not being as bad as Steve Walsh.

On balance I'd prefer he stayed just for consistency, but I wouldn't be devastated by him going.

The argument might be, if a manager is going to push forward, do we want a DOF like Brands and/or does Brands want to commit to that project?

United have had managers who wanted players but Woodward couldn’t deliver them, all the way back to Moyes wanting Bale and Herrera. Ancelotti himself has said that Brands delivered the players he wanted. If they are working well together then why would we want to mess that up and road to a situation where Ancelotti isn’t getting the players he wants because our DOF can’t get them over the line, or he can’t work with the DOF as well as he is with Marcel.

I just don’t buy into this line of thinking ‘Richarlison was a Silva signing, James was an Ancelotti one, but Brands bought Delph’ ‘if Ancelotti is picking the players what does Brands do?’. No decent manager in football will accept a situation where they cannot pick their own players so this idea of Brands being somehow undermined because Ancelotti picked the players he wanted doesn’t sit with me, I can’t understand that line of thinking. A more logical reaction would be to say that Ancelotti had a pretty ambitious wish list when he arrived containing James Rodriguez and Allan, and Brands delivered on it.

I’ve posted before that I don’t see an either or situation here. Moyes was able to effectively fulfill both roles in his earlier days when scouting was him and Alan Irvine getting in a car to see a championship game. Now the game is far more global and I doubt Ancelotti has the time to be overseeing a global scouting network, a massive academy operation, players contracts and image rights, the financial side of complying with regulations, the actual negotiations of transfers. Ancelotti says who he wants, trains the first team, and probably gets involved in selling the vision to incoming transfers etc. Brands will be directing the operation on everything else so that Carlo can just focus on the first team.

If we get rid of the DOF all that football infrastructure will have to sit with someone else. Now do we want our world class manager taking time away from coaching the first team to deal with this stuff? Do we want to give some of it back to Bill? Maybe to Denise, we can distract her away from delivering the stadium and running the business of Everton. Or we could maybe leave it with the one person at Everton who is qualified to do it, has done it before, and negotiated James Rodriguez on a free. Maybe we just let him get on with it rather than come up with ever more creative ways of criticising him.

Status
Not open for further replies.