2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOF’s don’t work on our leagues.

Managers want to control the transfers coming in and I for one don’t blame them.
It’s their head on the block after all.
This is a European model which really doesn’t work in this country. Are there any really successful DOF’s in the UK? I can’t think of any.

Brands just sent very good and is a fraud.
You cant think of any and they arent suited to English football?

Hmmm.

Last years Champions - City - Begiristain
2 years ago Champions - Liverpool - Michael Edwards
What about current CL Champions Chelsea? Granovskaia
How about surprise Champions Leicester City? Jon Rudkin

No team has won a major Trophy in Europe in the last 15 years without employing a DoF or somebody who does a similar job.

Hmmm.

No team has won a major Trophy in Europe in the last 15 years without employing a DoF or somebody who does a similar job.
Maybe mate but
City-pep. Enough said
Liverpool-klopp. Enough said
Chelsea- they were not doing anything until the new manager took over. Spent l
Leicester- you obviously got a better knowledge of that one.

These guys are not really household names and don’t get credit though do they

I stand corrected if the DOF’s are instrumental in their team’s success though.
I think it’s down to the managers IMO

Maybe mate but
City-pep. Enough said

Those teams had coaches rather than managers. They may have some input into transfers, but the DOF signs the players.

Hmmm.

Aren't they all sporting directors, which is more of an executive/boardroom position, rather than another layer on top of the coaching system?

I'm honestly not sure, so don't go blagging me if I'm actually right.

Aren't they all sporting directors, which is more of an executive/boardroom position, rather than another layer on top of the coaching system?

Sporting Director and Director of Football are pretty much the same thing. They buy players who suit the club's vision. The coaches job is to mould them into a team. Chelsea are the perfect example. They go through managers at a rate of knots, but keep their Director of Football and have continued success.

Sporting Director and Director of Football are pretty much the same thing. They buy players who suit the club's vision. The coaches job is to mould them into a team. Chelsea are the perfect example. They go through managers at a rate of knots, but keep their Director of Football and have continued success.
Chelsea have had a few DoF over the years, Arnesen was first then that Emanalo guy now it's Granovskaia. It's not just the big teams either, teams like Brentford and Brighton have got the system working lower down the league. Our issue is we have an owner who uses agents for advice rather than the people he is actually paying at the club to do the job, we then end up with conflicting opinions/views on stuff which leaves us with people pulling in different directions and it's why you get these stories of 'It's a Carlo signing' 'It's a Brands signing' 'It's a Silva singing' There is no plan at EFC, you just can't have one and it work under the current setup, if we are going to stick with the DOF then they have to have 100% control of everything otherwise get rid of it imo.

Fair enough. I had it as DoFs being embedded within the day-to-day running of the club (office at the training ground, etc), whereas I thought sporting directors were more hands-off.

Regardless, I'm sure it doesn't really matter which title you use if the club as a whole doesn't know what it's doing.

Maybe mate but
City-pep. Enough said

Klopp didn't want the recommended buy of Salah.
Enough said

Maybe mate but
City-pep. Enough said

No, of course, those teams have wonderful managers, thats not up for debate.

But they still employ a Director of football or somebody with a similar role.

I did say similar, the problem with the DoF role is quite frankly nobody really knows what they are meant to be doing, the role is vastly different from club to club.

But my point is that its a role which many, many, many clubs benefit from, in Europe and in England.

There are loads of people who hate the role and want to go back to the days of the manager running everything, those days ended a long time ago, these arent football clubs anymore, they are multi-billion companies in a multi-trillion industry.

Modern football yo.

Maybe mate but
City-pep. Enough said

Wait........

You mean to suggest that in order to be the best in the World, its not enough to just have a top DOF, you ALSO have to have a top manager? Thats a crazy thought.

Next your going to tell me that having a top manager alone isnt enough, but he has to have top players too, because you are competing with the very best who are ALSO trying to do that?

Is his title DoF? If so it would be his choice of Coach and players? Or is Moshiri giving him that title yet aren't giving him the option of choosing

Status
Not open for further replies.